The 1970 Race for Georgia Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:29:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The 1970 Race for Georgia Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 1970 Race for Georgia Governor  (Read 1320 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2024, 04:45:20 PM »

Jimmy Carter's ads:

A Carl Sanders Video:

I looked hard for an ad for Hal Suit, the GOP candidate, but could not find one.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 05:41:49 AM »

Should Democrats have seen a future Presidential candidate in these ads?
ReaganLimbaugh
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 05:02:06 PM »

Big hearted Jimmy Carter ran one of the most racist campaigns in Georgia even by Talmadge standards.  This is despite teh fact that the Chamber of Commerce overwhelmingly endorsed cuff links Carl Sanders for Govenror.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 08:21:37 PM »

No thank you.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 09:49:22 AM »

Big hearted Jimmy Carter ran one of the most racist campaigns in Georgia even by Talmadge standards.  This is despite teh fact that the Chamber of Commerce overwhelmingly endorsed cuff links Carl Sanders for Govenror.

This may be a bit of exaggeration, but Carter DEFINITELY based his campaign on an appeal to the Wallace voters and to conservative Democrats in general.  Sanders was a part owner of the Atlanta Hawks and Carter used a picture of Sanders with black players on the Hawks in a way that said "Look who he hangs with!".

In his last book America In Search of Itself, Theodore H. White examined Carter's downfall, talking about the "slick and gimmicky" Carter as one of Carter's personas (along with the Yeoman Carter and the Religious Carter).  And Carter took on a number of personas and switched between them throughout his career, and even after his Presidency.  He was the nice young man in the 1966 Governor's race, but he was, very much, the heir to Lester Maddox in the 1970 race, only to switch abruptly to a "New South" Governor at his inaugural address.  His pronouncement that " . . . the time for racial discrimination is over . . ." was something no one saw coming.  I am certain he was thinking of being President then.  He was something of a national Democrat in 1972, avoiding endorsing Wallace (which he saw as a dead end), but opposing McGovern and supporting Jackson, saying nasty and uncomplimentary things about McGovern even when not asked, but asking Scoop Jackson to suggest to McGovern to pick him as his running mate when it was all over.  He was exceptionally astute in seeing what it took to be nominated and elected as a Democrat, but he was not as astute in seeing what was needed to govern successfully as the President from the more liberal party that maintained its majorities by elections a noted minority of conservative members from his home region.

The 1970 Carter was, indeed, the "slick and gimmicky" Carter.  He had no record and could be expected to keep his promises.  When he ran for President, he had a record, and he balanced conservative and liberal themes.  He also showed the limitations of that strategy, and the problems in governing that way, the main one being that everything is a compromise and no one is really happy with you.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 11:20:14 AM »

Who did Carter vote for in the 1968 presidential election?
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 08:09:46 PM »

Hubert Horatio Hornblower.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 03:15:14 PM »

Quote from: ReaganLimbaugh link=topic=585057.msg9437723#msg9437723 date=1711933786 uid=13824
Hubert Horatio Hornblower.

I listened to that gaffe in 1980 with a crowd of fellow Democrats.  It was awful.

Carter did vote for HHH in 1968.  He voted for LBJ in 1964.  He has said that he voted for McGovern in 1972, but he never said a nice thing about him in public, and there was no love lost between McGovern and Carter.  (McGovern called Carter " . . . the biggest p---k in politics" in 1972 and voted for Ford in 1976.)

ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 07:20:35 PM »

(McGovern called Carter " . . . the biggest p---k in politics" in 1972 and voted for Ford in 1976.)

*I dont doubt the above is true but may I ask what your source is on the above?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:52:49 AM »

(McGovern called Carter " . . . the biggest p---k in politics" in 1972 and voted for Ford in 1976.)

*I dont doubt the above is true but may I ask what your source is on the above?

I cannot remember my exact source on the "biggest p---k" comment; it's something I've read a long time ago.

Voting for Ford is something I remember McGovern coming out with when he said it back in the 1970s.

wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:17:16 AM »

This reminds me a bit of Gore, who was elected to the Senate as an Atari moderate and ended up being seen as an enviromental activist.

Also, it reminds me of the Alan Garcia gang, who were economic left populists in the 1980s and later became  right wingers.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:37:49 AM »

He wasn't as racist as Maddox, but yeah his attacking Sanders for marching with a black man didn't age well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies