Is Ron Paul a liberal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:14:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Ron Paul a liberal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is Ron Paul a liberal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Is Ron Paul a liberal?  (Read 5327 times)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 07:56:47 PM »

Thanks.

(Is it odd I am agreeing with BRTD over Naso?)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 08:06:07 PM »

How can he be a fascist when he's strongly opposed to any increase in state power (PATRIOT Act and the like)?

"Not all, obviously" means that he isn't "quite the fascist" on all, or even most, political issues.
I'm thinking more the fact that he (and American "Libertarianism" in general) represents a rather extreme (if unimportant) backlash against both the established political and social order and against the political Left.

I think the problem here is that when people think of "fascist" they think of militarism, authoritarianism and so on... and while these things were all important features of fascist states, by concentrating just on those things I think that we sometimes miss something more fundamental to the ideology itself, or at least why people supported it.
Perhaps I should have been clearer to minimise offense.

O/c what ever Paul is, I'm quite sure of one thing that he isn't a "Classical Liberal". There's nothing liberal about Paul, in any sense of the word.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 09:22:58 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2007, 09:26:28 PM by David S »

Ron Paul sometimes refers to himself as a constitutionalist. I think that's a good description. He is the most ardent supporter of the constitution in Washington. Every member of congress must take an oath to support the constitution. And that's the only thing the oath calls for. So Paul's adherence to the constitution is definitely a good thing. Most other members of congress don't give a damn about it.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 09:36:21 PM »

How can he be a fascist when he's strongly opposed to any increase in state power (PATRIOT Act and the like)?

"Not all, obviously" means that he isn't "quite the fascist" on all, or even most, political issues.
I'm thinking more the fact that he (and American "Libertarianism" in general) represents a rather extreme (if unimportant) backlash against both the established political and social order and against the political Left.

I think the problem here is that when people think of "fascist" they think of militarism, authoritarianism and so on... and while these things were all important features of fascist states, by concentrating just on those things I think that we sometimes miss something more fundamental to the ideology itself, or at least why people supported it.

O/c what ever Paul is, I'm quite sure of one thing that he isn't a "Classical Liberal". There's nothing liberal about Paul, in any sense of the word.

You've done nothing to explain how he's fascist.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 10:15:42 PM »

Ron Paul sometimes refers to himself as a constitutionalist. I think that's a good description. He is the most ardent supporter of the constitution in Washington. Every member of congress must take an oath to support the constitution. And that's the only thing the oath calls for. So Paul's adherence to the constitution is definitely a good thing. Most other members of congress don't give a damn about it.

What about Flake and Rohrbacher?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007, 07:33:05 PM »

No
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »

Classical liberal yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism
Classical liberalism (also known as traditional liberalism[1] and laissez-faire liberalism[2]) is a doctrine stressing the importance of human rationality, individual property rights, natural rights, the protection of civil liberties, constitutional limitations of government, free markets, and individual freedom from restraint as exemplified in the writings of Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill,[3] and others. As such, it is seen as the fusion of economic liberalism with political liberalism.[4] The "normative core" of classical liberalism is the idea that laissez-faire economics will bring about a spontaneous order or invisible hand that benefits the society,[5] though it does not necessarily oppose the state's provision of a few basic public goods that the market is seen as being incapable of providing.[6] The qualification classical was applied in retrospect to distinguish early nineteenth-century liberalism from the "new liberalism" associated with Thomas Hill Green, Leonard Trelawny Hobhouse,[7] and Franklin D. Roosevelt,[8] which grants a more interventionist role for the state.

Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises, and Milton Friedman are credited with a revival of classical liberalism in the 20th century after it fell out of favor beginning in the late nineteenth century and much of the twentieth century.[9]

Libertarians of a minarchist persuasion use the term "classical liberalism" almost interchangeably with the term "libertarianism",[10] while the correctness of this usage is disputed (see "Classical liberalism" and libertarianism, below). Nevertheless, if the two philosophies are not the same, classical liberalism does resemble modern libertarianism in many ways.[11]
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 12:44:20 AM »

I'm hardly a fan of his economic views, but if that were true you'd be seeing massive support by big business and the super-wealthy for him. You aren't. That's because he's not a corporatist.

or it could be because he has no shot to win?

That and Halliburton/Worldcom/Lockheed Martin don't like the fact that he'd end the war.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 07:37:36 AM »

That would be because I'm not actually trying to Smiley

Hyperbole aside, I don't think he's a fascist or anything, but there are certain interesting similarities between American Libertarianism and fascism. That's all.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »

Hyperbole aside, I don't think he's a fascist or anything, but there are certain interesting similarities between American Libertarianism and fascism. That's all.

Ok, so you say things for shock, much like BRTD and DWDL.  Got it.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 05:01:10 PM »

Well there is the appeal towards a mythological national past.. the Republicans do this also. But the Libertarians go back further.. not to the 1950s but pre-FDR and the more radical ones back even further.. Pre-Lincoln or the Republican idealists of the Revolutionary war. Libertarianism is of course fundamentally American in character.

Libertarians also don't seem to get the link between disposal income and 'social' freedom (This isn't a fascist characteristic, just an observation).

And the answer is no, obviously. Under any defintion of the word. Gladstone was a Classical liberal, Ron Paul is an intelligent extremist.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 08:18:03 PM »

No, not at all. More a case of drawing attention to a point of interest.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 08:50:57 PM »

And the answer is no, obviously. Under any defintion of the word. Gladstone was a Classical liberal, Ron Paul is an intelligent extremist.

Let's go back to the definition of classical liberal from Wikipedia which I posted earlier:

"Classical liberalism (also known as traditional liberalism[1] and laissez-faire liberalism[2]) is a doctrine stressing the importance of human rationality, individual property rights, natural rights, the protection of civil liberties, constitutional limitations of government, free markets, and individual freedom from restraint as exemplified in the writings of Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill,[3] and others."

What part of that does not fit Ron Paul?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 08:14:56 AM »

wait, i missed something.

did someone actually compare gladstone and paul?

that is lolz funny.

gladstone actually had some concern for the powerless. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2007, 08:50:42 AM »

wait, i missed something.

did someone actually compare gladstone and paul?

that is lolz funny.

gladstone actually had some concern for the powerless. 

I did. But it wasn't positive for Ron Paul.

Read Again:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies