The Caribbean Statehood Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:40:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Caribbean Statehood Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Caribbean Statehood Act  (Read 9047 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: July 20, 2004, 01:39:04 AM »

Atlasia is a nation of many people, cultures, religons and states. from Hawaii to Maine, Alaska to Florida, Arizona to Michigan, we have a rich history of people in our country.

We also have a rich history of expasion, to meet our manifest destiny, from sea to shining sea, and beyond. We are a nation in which every man is created equal, and a land of opportunity for first-generation immigrants and Mayflower pilgrims alike.

We are also a land of choice and democracy; a republic founded on the principle that nothing can be forced upon us. And that is why I believe it is important Puerto Ricans, Navassans and Virgins (Wink) have the ability to choose on their inclusion as the 51st state of this great country, they they will certainly aid us in striving for an even better country.

This is whyu I support all current Points in the Act, and wish to add a fifth:

5. A vote shall be held in wich all citizens of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, and Navassa Island can determine if they wish to join the union.

It will be determined by ther GM, and their will be three choices:

1. Join the United States of America in a union with the US Virgin Islands and Navassa Island (or PR and NI or PR and USVI, depending the location)
2. Remain the Status Quo, do not become a state or become Independent
3. Become an independent nation

(BAsically, the GM would determine the results; it'll be preferentail so that one option gets over 50%)

-------

Obviously, the wording isn't perfect, and that is why I present it now without alling on a vote for it.

If we accept their right to become a state, and they choose to do so, it will be of great benefit to our nation. I strongly encourage all senators to support the act in its entirety, and also this amendment.

Thank you for your time.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 08:16:18 PM »

Whilst I support the idea of carribean statehood, I feel that we haven'tr fully consulted the residents of the islands, and therefor I abstain.

As I suggested earlier, the GM should have made up a story or a poll or something on the islanders opinions. Because that, or anything similar, is lacking, I cannot support this bill at this time.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 09:03:37 PM »

After much though, I will cast a vote, and it will be against this act.

Whilst I strongly support Carribean statehood, this isn't the method we ought to use. It is undemocratic and unfair to the people of Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.

I am also casting a vote to determine the final result of this act; with 5 votes against it and one abstination, it is impossible for it to pass. I apologise to me frend and collegue Harry, but we need to consider this a lot more thouroughly before we re-open this important and delicate issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies