Ronna McDaniel OUT at NBC News
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ronna McDaniel OUT at NBC News
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Ronna McDaniel OUT at NBC News  (Read 1402 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2024, 09:33:46 AM »

Ronna wasn't fired because she is a Republican. She was fired because she peddled election lies and conspiracies and actively worked to overturn our free and fair election. Those people should be marginalized, not given a national platform. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand?

How is that different from like everyone else who works at MSNBC?

Everyone else on MSNBC engages in election denialism? I admit I don't regularly watch that network but I would be surprised if that were the case.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2024, 09:48:35 AM »

The only person at MSNBC I remember pushing election denialism was Keith Olbermann, who's been gone for 13 years but he pushed hard the idea that Ohio was stolen in 2004. Others may have dipped a toe in it for other elections here and there but nothing explicit.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2024, 03:18:10 PM »

I understand where the sentiments are coming from. Still, there is going to be a fundamental incongruence between the concept of a national news network, and an extended effort to cancel 45% of the country.

Sorry but this is a bad faith argument and you know it. There is a vast difference between hiring someone who is simply a Republican and hiring someone who is an election denier and was quite literally a part of the scheme to try and steal the last election. No honest news organization would hire someone with those credentials. This very clearly is not about ideology and again, trying to make it out to be purely that is just disingenuous.

You win some, you lose some. Donald Trump has won the 2024 Republican nomination. Choosing to only represent anti-Trump Republicans is either opting not to represent one side of the political spectrum on your network, or to mislead your audience into believing something else*.

I actually don't have a problem with the former if networks are upfront about it. If NBC wants to be clear they will be a Democratic outlet as long as Donald Trump dominates the Republican party that is fine. What irritates me about MSNBC is the insistence on platforming astroturfed "Republicans" who represent nobody but a grift on resistance wine moms.

NBC is justified in not employing Ronna or anyone else but they should be upfront and acknowledge what that decision means, instead of treating it like a fringe view.

This is a bunch of nonsense gobblydygook is what it is. Ronna was rightly let go b/c she pushed a conspiracy theory that she personally knew was false. No matter how large of a percentage of the Republican Party claims to believe the lie that the 2020 election was stolen, that does not entitle them to have one of their own on every network in America pushing said lie. This may come as a shock to you, but the purpose of the news is to disseminate facts and real reporting to their audience. Why would they hire someone who's job would be to inform when she has a proven track record of lying? Just stop the whining. NBC already employs one former RNC chairperson, they have no reason to employ a 2nd. Maybe get back to me when Fox hires Howard Dean, Tom Perez or Donna Brazile.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2024, 03:26:56 PM »

MSNBC is a partisan Democrat network who thinks they own the 'sacred airwaves', and it can only be used by people in their little club of like minded fellow travelers. They hire 'Republicans' to maintain an extremely thin facade. Everyone knows this already, this episode is just an amusing farce where they tripped over themselves and misjudged how thin it was supposed to be.

They hire Republicans who are smart enough to know the difference between facts and propaganda/trump lies. The fact that this represents so few Republicans these days is not the fault of liberals. Instead of whining about it, maybe recognize the fact that she was wildly unqualified for the job, which is to contribute to inform people, the audience, of reality.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2024, 06:16:21 PM »

McDaniel belongs in prison, not on tv.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2024, 09:41:14 PM »

She's awful but I don't blame her; NBC should've never signed the contract to begin with.

She had every right to pursue legal action.

It may be too late for most people in most states, but let this be a lesson every time a Republican politician says "America is too litigious.'

There is no bigger user of lawyers and lawsuits in the U.S than corporations and nobody should believe Republican lies about the supposed evils of tort law.

If the first thing a Republican does is turn to the law when they've been wronged, nobody should have their right to sue taken away from them and nobody should feel guilty for accessing legal representation.

America IS too litigious.  And, yet, for many, the Courts are the only hope for relief from injustice.  

So, yes, I support Ronna McDaniel's lawsuit.  NBC's behavior is as cowardly as it gets.  

Just imagine if Jackie Robinson were cut from the Dodgers after a week because the Southern Cabals on a number of teams raised a collective stink.  (And, indeed, some of them did; there were some on the Dodgers, and the Cardinals had a cabal of Southerners.)  Players threatened to strike.  NL President Ford Frick told them to, essentially, shove it:

"If you do this (strike), you will be suspended from the league. You will find that the friends you think you have in the press box will not support you, that you will be outcasts. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has a much rights to play as another. The National League will go down the line with (Jackie) Robinson, no matter the consequences."

Frick, Ford C. The Pittsburgh Courier: President Frick's Immortal, Uncompromising Statement to Cardinals Who Planned to Strike Against Robinson. 17 May 1947. Page 14.[

Ronna McDaniel isn't Jackie Robinson, but those who ganged up against here didn't have that much more virtue than the NBC staff who were HPs deluded into thinking they were FFs.  If you were fired for your politics, would you just brush it off, or would you fight.  And if you are an employee, would you want them to assert that this is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play baseball, be a TV personality, cut hair, manage a business, etc. as any other citizen.  I'm not a big fan of Ronna McDaniel, but NBC knew who she was when she hired here, then caved to the mob they hired.  That's weak and lame.  I will be happy if she sues and wins.  
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2024, 01:18:44 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2024, 01:49:05 AM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

She's awful but I don't blame her; NBC should've never signed the contract to begin with.

It may be too late for most people in most states, but let this be a lesson every time a Republican politician says "America is too litigious.'

There is no bigger user of lawyers and lawsuits in the U.S than corporations and nobody should believe Republican lies about the supposed evils of tort law.

If the first thing a Republican does is turn to the law when they've been wronged, nobody should have their right to sue taken away from them and nobody should feel guilty for accessing legal representation.

America IS too litigious.  And, yet, for many, the Courts are the only hope for relief from injustice.  

So, yes, I support Ronna McDaniel's lawsuit.  NBC's behavior is as cowardly as it gets.  

Just imagine if Jackie Robinson were cut from the Dodgers after a week because the Southern Cabals on a number of teams raised a collective stink.  (And, indeed, some of them did; there were some on the Dodgers, and the Cardinals had a cabal of Southerners.)  Players threatened to strike.  NL President Ford Frick told them to, essentially, shove it:

"If you do this (strike), you will be suspended from the league. You will find that the friends you think you have in the press box will not support you, that you will be outcasts. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has a much rights to play as another. The National League will go down the line with (Jackie) Robinson, no matter the consequences."

Frick, Ford C. The Pittsburgh Courier: President Frick's Immortal, Uncompromising Statement to Cardinals Who Planned to Strike Against Robinson. 17 May 1947. Page 14.[

Ronna McDaniel isn't Jackie Robinson, but those who ganged up against here didn't have that much more virtue than the NBC staff who were HPs deluded into thinking they were FFs.  If you were fired for your politics, would you just brush it off, or would you fight.  And if you are an employee, would you want them to assert that this is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play baseball, be a TV personality, cut hair, manage a business, etc. as any other citizen.  I'm not a big fan of Ronna McDaniel, but NBC knew who she was when she hired here, then caved to the mob they hired.  That's weak and lame.  I will be happy if she sues and wins.  

Certainly McDaniel was a DEI hiring and certainly the on air NBC staff complained that McDaniel failed to meet the minimum requirements for the job.

I agree it's hard to believe that McDaniel's contract would have prevented NBC from firing her without cause, but one person anyway has told me that her MTP interview may have given NBC grounds to fire her. I don't know obviously but I think she has every right to sue for wrongful dismissal.

As for her claims of defamation, as the truth is an absolute defense against defamation, if she launches that, it should be summarily dismissed and seen as 'an abuse of the legal process in an overly litigious society.'
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2024, 06:42:53 AM »

I have no problem with NBC having to pay off the contract.  They entered it freely and then chose to terminate it -- the correct decision IMO, but that doesn't let them off the hook for it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2024, 09:30:18 AM »

Certainly McDaniel was a DEI hiring and certainly the on air NBC staff complained that McDaniel failed to meet the minimum requirements for the job.

I agree it's hard to believe that McDaniel's contract would have prevented NBC from firing her without cause, but one person anyway has told me that her MTP interview may have given NBC grounds to fire her. I don't know obviously but I think she has every right to sue for wrongful dismissal.

As for her claims of defamation, as the truth is an absolute defense against defamation, if she launches that, it should be summarily dismissed and seen as 'an abuse of the legal process in an overly litigious society.'

I'm glad you are as opposed to DEI as I am.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2024, 09:33:17 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2024, 09:39:46 AM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

If you opposed DEI here you would be arguing that Ronna McDaniel's has no right to sue over "being fired for her politics." (to quote your claim of why she was fired.)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2024, 09:53:13 AM »

If you opposed DEI here you would be arguing that Ronna McDaniel's has no right to sue over "being fired for her politics." (to quote your claim of why she was fired.)

She has the same rights other DEI hires have.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2024, 09:55:34 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2024, 10:00:22 AM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

She has the same rights other DEI hires have.

Oh sure, but her legal rights here have nothing to do with DEI.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2024, 02:03:49 PM »

Great news! I hope the red avatars now stop bitching and whining about poor little rich girl Rona being silenced by the big bad libs.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2024, 04:36:15 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2024, 04:47:07 PM by Badger »

Comparing firing someone who spouts a tin foil hat level conspiracy theory with theoretically firing Jackie Robinson over his race, just because you share the former's beliefs. Wow. Just....wow.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2024, 04:38:01 PM »

I have no problem with NBC having to pay off the contract.  They entered it freely and then chose to terminate it -- the correct decision IMO, but that doesn't let them off the hook for it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2024, 04:46:47 PM »

This is a pretty absurd comparison (even ignoring the false equivalency of race and political beliefs). If she were being hired as an accountant for a steel company, I would probably agree that she shouldn't be fired for her political beliefs. But I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a political or politically-adjacent organization should be allowed to deny employment on the basis of politics, especially when she's going to be literally representing the organization.

If say, Greg Gutfeld, had an overnight ideological conversion, and suddenly became a staunch progressive, would it be wrong for Fox to cancel his show? I think they would be well within their rights to do so.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2024, 04:49:00 PM »

This is a pretty absurd comparison (even ignoring the false equivalency of race and political beliefs). If she were being hired as an accountant for a steel company, I would probably agree that she shouldn't be fired for her political beliefs. But I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a political or politically-adjacent organization should be allowed to deny employment on the basis of politics, especially when she's going to be literally representing the organization.

If say, Greg Gutfeld, had an overnight ideological conversion, and suddenly became a staunch progressive, would it be wrong for Fox to cancel his show? I think they would be well within their rights to do so.

Plus, let's get down to the fact that she's been hired by a news journalism company, and yet she's loudly pronouncing essentially that the world is flat and 2 + 2 = 5. Any organization that actually cares about objective truths and basic reality shouldn't have her within a million miles of their television studios.
Cyrusman
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2024, 08:00:35 PM »

Would MSNBC hire any republican who is NOT a critic of trump even if they weren’t an election denier? Or do you basically need to critizie, callout, and hate trump in order to work there? Say Mike Pence was interested, would they hire him?
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2024, 08:11:15 PM »

Comparing firing someone who spouts a tin foil hat level conspiracy theory with theoretically firing Jackie Robinson over his race, just because you share the former's beliefs. Wow. Just....wow.

I briefly made that point as well before deleting it thinking "I don't want to get into this."
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2024, 08:14:23 PM »

Would MSNBC hire any republican who is NOT a critic of trump even if they weren’t an election denier?

It's easier to find a unicorn than a Trump supporter who doesn't think the 2020 election was fraudulent.
Election denialism has become an integral part of Trumpism's identity.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2024, 08:24:38 PM »

Would MSNBC hire any republican who is NOT a critic of trump even if they weren’t an election denier? Or do you basically need to critizie, callout, and hate trump in order to work there? Say Mike Pence was interested, would they hire him?

Should MSNBC have to? Wouldn't that be a DEI hire?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2024, 08:43:56 PM »

Honestly, I'm much more shocked that she was ever "in" at NBC in the first place.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2024, 08:45:17 PM »

If Gutfeld took that kind of left turn he'd likely lose ratings, and be canned for that reason.  FOX could use that as a decline in performance; he's there to get ratings.

This staff ganged up against Ronna McDaniel, essentially trying to backball her in the industry, and they did it before she took the air.  That's a different situation.  Ronna McDaniel has broken no laws.  There are people who have first dibs on my sympathy, but the staff at NBC did something that they would be up in arms with if it happened to them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2024, 09:05:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure a basic ability to distinguish between truth and facts versus lies and myth would suffice. Now, where can we find a trump supporter that actually fits that bill?
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2024, 09:08:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure a basic ability to distinguish between truth and facts versus lies and myth would suffice. Now, where can we find a trump supporter that actually fits that bill?

Ronna McDaniel also called for journalists to be tried for treason and executed, on grounds that she has since admitted that she was paid to state and didn't actually believe (if we can believe what she now says.)

This is what those at (MS)NBC were complaining about, and, as you know that truth is an absolute defense against defamation, if she tried to sue over that, it would be tossed out of court.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies