The 'Millennial' Generation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:19:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The 'Millennial' Generation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The 'Millennial' Generation  (Read 21847 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2004, 09:02:44 PM »

Most of the younger kids I run into have the following problems:

-Laziness
-I don't care attitude
-Expect to just get a check instead of  earn one
-Thinks they are superior to those older then them
-Have no respect for elders.

In my experience the kids coming out of highschool are sorry. They don't want to work and when they do they just want to cut corners so they can get a paycheck they've barely earned. The reason is because their parents gave them to much growing up.

Your complaints about the younger generation sound like the complaints of every older generation about the next one.. world for word.  Older people always resent the young.. and probably vice versa.

No I experienced it first hand at my place of work. All the 18-19 year olds aren't worth a d*mn. Young people like myself from 25 on up are the hardest workers around.

I'm 20. When I was 18 and quit my Burger King job my employers begged to get me back. After that I worked at a movie theater where 95% of the employees were my age or younger - most of which worked hard for their wages. The place I have an internship at now is going to be very happy to have me back to work when this school semester is over, as well as their other interns. I think the problem is where you work or live, not the generation in general.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2004, 09:07:57 PM »

-Laziness
-I don't care attitude

In my experience the kids coming out of highschool are sorry. They don't want to work and when they do they just want to cut corners so they can get a paycheck they've barely earned. The reason is because their parents gave them to much growing up.

Your complaints about the younger generation sound like the complaints of every older generation about the next one.. world for word.  Older people always resent the young.. and probably vice versa.

No I experienced it first hand at my place of work. All the 18-19 year olds aren't worth a d*mn. Young people like myself from 25 on up are the hardest workers around.

I'm 20. When I was 18 and quit my Burger King job my employers begged to get me back. After that I worked at a movie theater where 95% of the employees were my age or younger - most of which worked hard for their wages. The place I have an internship at now is going to be very happy to have me back to work when this school semester is over, as well as their other interns. I think the problem is where you work or live, not the generation in general.

Thank you!  And please, tell this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

to htmldon, except replace generation with race. Grin
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2004, 12:29:27 PM »

I must say, statesrights, that I think you're unduly harsh on young people. I know some young people that can be pests, but I also know plenty of young people who have a lot going for them.

With regard to laziness, I believe some people are temperamentally unsuited to work. I think they are best left alone, and allowed to bide their time with less productive pursuits. After all, we're all individuals. This whole concept of deferring to the wisdom of your elders vexes me. I acknowledge that there are plenty of people older and wiser than me, and considering their sage advice would be in my best interest. But there are people older than me who have nothing to offer in that category. Respecting their wishes would be a road to ruin, paved with conventional and mediocre thinking. You need to take the wisdom of your elders on a case by case basis.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2004, 12:40:24 PM »

When you was young like us, you was just like we are not. Maybe worse, just because some teenagers are bad. Does not mean ALL are. I don't go around saying all old people are cheap mean stuck up witches. Cheesy
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2004, 01:16:04 PM »

go look at any 18-29 poll on gay marriage.

enough said.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2004, 05:01:43 PM »

I notice a lot of economic conservatism, too.  A real suspicion of big government.

They also are suspicious of overzealous capitalism, in which large corporations rule the world. Sure, they buy Nike products, but a lot of popular movies and ideas among the "millenial" generation concern overlarge businesses taking over the world.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2004, 05:11:51 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2004, 05:15:38 PM by Senator John F. Kennedy, PPT »

We are somewhat anti-abortion because we see better ways unavailable in the 60s-70s.  Does that make us more conservative?  No, not necessarily.  Socially, I find us very liberal.  That's all I can add.  I mean, 90% of the kids (well, highschoolers) in my republican town want Kerry to win, and when the gay marriage issue came up, almost all say they had no problem with it.  

And believe me, the youth is providing very few new members to the religious right, thats for sure.  We consider it very personal.  

You live in NJ.. that is all i have to say.... almost 100% of the republicans want bush to win and ship gay people somewhere else...

And you live in North Carolina yet you claim that the teenagers there are representative of the entire nation. Both of your arguments are fallacious and for you to criticize somebody else whose argument is so very similar to yours yet on the opposite end of the spectrum is ludicrous hypocrisy.

Also, I doubt that one-hundred percent of Republicans wish to "ship gay people somewhere else". Not only is that a homophobic and intolerant comment but it is simply untrue as I see it. There are large numbers of liberal or moderate Republicans who I would imagine do not hold those views.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2004, 07:23:45 PM »

While in votes in the house and senate gay marriage looks like a liberal/conservative thing, I don't think it is anymore. I think that the more people come out, the more others accept them. That's why polls on 18-29 year olds show that over 70% of them support gay marriage or civil unions, while for the ones over 60 the number is rarely above 30%. By 2050, I'd guess at least 85% of 18-29 year olds support gay marriage, and soon it will be close to a non-issue.

I do believe we are getting more libertarian, and that the next generation will be less trusting of the government. I do not believe we are getting more conservative, economically and on abortion? Maybe. On basically every other social issue? No.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2004, 09:33:05 PM »

I think the south is getting more consv, The northeast more lib. The west more mod. the southwest more consv the plains more consv.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2004, 09:35:49 PM »

Cali and Washington are getting more liberal too, the rest of the west is getting more moderate though, I agree. The South will be like it looked for most of the last century, except it will be an overwhelmingly Republican advantage. The northeat will lose nearly all of it's Republican seats in congress and will get even more liberal.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2004, 09:44:22 PM »

By the time we get older this will be what the map looks like

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2004, 10:02:50 PM »

I agree that Dem. areas will get more Dem and vice versa.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2004, 10:10:33 PM »

-Laziness
-I don't care attitude

To be fair, the reason a lot of teens don't respect elders is because elders don't respect them. Then you go into the whole "who started it" argument.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2004, 10:13:48 PM »

New Mexico, Nevada and Arizona should all lean Dem.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2004, 12:57:45 AM »

This nation can not go on divided like that for more then 20 years. Something will break. I just don't know what.
Trilobyte

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2004, 01:22:40 AM »

This nation can not go on divided like that for more then 20 years. Something will break. I just don't know what.

The next Reagan who fills the map all red or all blue.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2004, 01:50:02 AM »

Their is no candidate or politician currently holding office who can do that. Maybe Arnold, but he is obviously out.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2004, 06:42:01 AM »

Their is no candidate or politician currently holding office who can do that. Maybe Arnold, but he is obviously out.

If this happened on a regular basis my guess would be that the Democratic Party would collapse and a new party would take their place(would hope it would be the Libertarians Smiley).
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2004, 06:48:13 AM »

I would say Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada start to trend more towards the Democrats. Other than that, I agree mostly with the map.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2004, 09:26:57 AM »

If this happened on a regular basis my guess would be that the Democratic Party would collapse and a new party would take their place(would hope it would be the Libertarians Smiley).

The Democratic party is currently in trouble unless they get back to their more blue collar roots. And I know I will catch grief for it but it's true.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2004, 01:02:53 AM »

The trend in Ausralia is for this generation to become extremel;y socially liberal on most issues-refugees, same sex marriage, education etc.; but on others less so, for example, abortion. Nowdays, you'd struggle to find a teenager who supports unions, and isn't pro-free trade as a basic rule. In foreigh policy terms, we want to be bigger then we really are, and to focus on strenghtening ties with aia as the first priority, but we're not anti-american compared to Gen-X or to our generation in other countries.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2004, 02:48:30 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2004, 02:52:25 AM by Philip »

Whatever.  Cut it apart or something.  I do not belong with him *points at Josh22*! Angry Cheesy Wink Smiley

Anyhoo, I'm fairly sure that we'll be more liberal with gay marriage, at least... you should have heard some of the people's comments when we heard that homosexuality was caused by genetics.  "Well, why can't they marry then?"

Yeah Smiley

GENETICS?!?!

Hate to break it to you, but genetics kind of requires CHILDREN.

It's been shown that there's a such thing as a natural born killer. Murder tendencies are in some people's genes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2004, 03:22:55 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2004, 04:27:54 AM by Gabu »

Whatever.  Cut it apart or something.  I do not belong with him *points at Josh22*! Angry Cheesy Wink Smiley

Anyhoo, I'm fairly sure that we'll be more liberal with gay marriage, at least... you should have heard some of the people's comments when we heard that homosexuality was caused by genetics.  "Well, why can't they marry then?"

Yeah Smiley

GENETICS?!?!

Hate to break it to you, but genetics kind of requires CHILDREN.

Sort of.  Genes for each trait come in pairs of two (one from each parent).  There are two kinds of genes: active and recessive genes.  Active genes always display themselves; recessive genes only do so when there is no active gene for that same trait present.  If a person has both kinds, the active gene will override the recessive gene and the presence of the recessive gene will go undetected.  For example, suppose brown hair is an active gene and blonde hair is a recessive gene (not really: hair color is much more complicated, but for the sake of example suppose this is how it works).  If a person has only the brown hair gene, the hair will be brown.  If a person has both the brown hair gene and the blonde hair gene, the hair will still be brown, because the active brown hair gene hides the recessive blonde hair gene.  Only when a person has no brown hair gene will the blonde hair gene manifest itself and give the person blonde hair.

If two parents both have a certain kind of recessive gene, but also both have the opposing active gene to mute its effect, there's a distinct one-in-four chance that the child will get both recessive genes and thus will exhibit something completely different from both parents.  The lack of a trait in both parents is not a sufficient condition to prove that the child also will not have that trait.

I don't know that homosexuality is genetic or not and I'm not saying it is, but it's possible that it could be a recessive gene while heterosexuality is an active gene.  This would mean that two heterosexual parents, both with homosexual recessive genes, could pass on both recessive genes onto a kid, making that kid genetically homosexual, even though both parents were genetically heterosexual.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2004, 10:29:27 AM »

See Gabu.

I, for instance, have blue eyes, even though my mom has brown eyes, because my dad has blue eyes, and, apparantly, my mom is a brown-blue hybrid (with blue being masked by brown).

The same goes with hair color (me: blonde, dad: blonde, mom: brown-blonde, brown masking blonde).
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2004, 11:55:44 AM »

Xx can pass on the gene, but it'll die out whenever expressed. Genes that self-destruct won't last long.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies