The 'Millennial' Generation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:23:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The 'Millennial' Generation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The 'Millennial' Generation  (Read 21843 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2004, 01:15:55 AM »
« edited: October 07, 2004, 01:19:24 AM by Gabu »

No, that's not really true.  Tons of people may be out there with a recessive homosexual gene and an active heterosexual gene that masks it.  If those people have a child with someone else, there's either a one-in-four or a one-in-two chance (depending on whether the other person has one of each gene or two of the active gene) that the recessive homosexual gene will be passed on to the child along with another active heterosexual gene to mask it, resulting in the propogation of the homosexual gene without actually creating a homosexual person.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2004, 04:56:29 PM »

Most of the younger kids I run into have the following problems:

-Laziness
-I don't care attitude
-Expect to just get a check instead of  earn one
-Thinks they are superior to those older then them
-Have no respect for elders.

In my experience the kids coming out of highschool are sorry. They don't want to work and when they do they just want to cut corners so they can get a paycheck they've barely earned. The reason is because their parents gave them to much growing up.

I was born January 1st, 1983, so I'll respond:
Laziness-- Sure, some of us are lazy. I certainly fit under that category from ages 14-18. I got over it.

I don't care attitude-- No. Almost every individual in my generation is very worried about what to do with their lives.

Expect to just get a check instead of earn one-- Explain further please.

Thinks they are superior to those older then them-- Sometimes. As an example, a year ago I had longish hair and an unshaven face.  I went to a restaurant and sat at the bar. This 68 year old man criticized me about my unkempt appearance. I told him that I'd care about his opinion once he stopped taking my money (referring to social security).
If you are talking about teenagers with this comment, realize that teenagers either think they are adults, or think they should be adults. As such, they are prone to rubbing members of their parents' generation the wrong way, since they percieve them as kids.

Have no respect for elders-- Personally, I give respect to those who earn it from me. Simply being born before me is not enough to earn my respect.
bushforever
bushwillwin

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2004, 12:53:00 AM »

I was born in 1987 and am glad to be part of Generation Y.  The reason we are more conservative is because of our parents and family values.  We understand that what we work for is our money and not the government's.  We enjoy participating in the shooting sports.  We were raised on mass media and big business.  We are the most affluent and love to go shopping.  We love to have a good time.  We would stand up and defend our country if we had to...like it or not, we are the 9/11 generation and it will affect us most.  We do as our parents do, and most of them are now republican.  We don't really care about the environment.  We went to church and sunday school with our parents.  We have a profound respect for life and are compassionate about people and are very social.  We were raised during the suburban boom of the late 90s/early 00s; suburban lifestyle=GOP.  We are highly involved in the community.  We have a do-it-yourself attitude.

Don't listen to the laziness/disrespect and spolied stereotypes you hear.  Spoiledness increases with time and technology and laziness/disrespect is just part of the teenage years.  We will become more respectful and more productive as we become adults.  All I have to say is we are very passionate and we know how to come together as one to defeat anything or just to have fun.  It's Generation X who had the most disrespect and selfishness.  I can see that Gen Y is more united, more powerful, more down to earth, more upbeat.  But I see the generation after us (1994-2010) as being similar to generation X but with much more anarchy and ADD; if the world is destroyed, it will most likely be by them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2004, 03:03:11 AM »

bushwillwin, when you say "we," I think you may be seeing your entire generation in your own scope more than anything. Perhaps this is true, but locally, this generation is nothing like that. It may be regional. It may be cultural. I'm not sure.

Or it may be that you can't group millions of people based on how old they are.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2004, 04:03:42 AM »

My Poli Sci teacher explained this phenomina.

Basically when we were all kids our first experience with Presidential politics was with Reagan and Bush. Then a lot of us got tired of Clinton (and his scandals). Plus 9/11 has made us more prone to be Republican similar to how the Great Depression made our grandparents more likely to be democrats.

Forgive my use of "we" and "us"
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2004, 03:07:31 PM »

Ah, but then there are the younger millenials whose first experience was with Clinton, and are now dealing with Bush... we have vague rosy memories of schools having surpluses and stuff...
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2004, 07:14:33 PM »

bushwillwin, when you say "we," I think you may be seeing your entire generation in your own scope more than anything. Perhaps this is true, but locally, this generation is nothing like that. It may be regional. It may be cultural. I'm not sure.

Yes, I think it is hard to group millions of people based on how old they are because we are all different.  I'm just giving my perspective into how I see my generation, at least locally.  And some statements can be applied to the whole generation, as we are influenced by mass media more than ever before, have many similarities to our parents' generation, are most influenced by 9/11, etc.  You can think what you want.  This is just from the perspective of a Generation Y kid in the suburbs.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2004, 08:33:53 PM »

Yes, I think it is hard to group millions of people based on how old they are because we are all different. I'm just giving my perspective into how I see my generation, at least locally. And some statements can be applied to the whole generation, as we are influenced by mass media more than ever before, have many similarities to our parents' generation, are most influenced by 9/11, etc. You can think what you want. This is just from the perspective of a Generation Y kid in the suburbs.

I'm a generation Y kid in the suburbs :S
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2004, 10:03:45 AM »

I am 27, so I am just a little older than this generation. But I was talking to someone about my age and after remembering the old days of He Man and WWF wrestling, we discussed politics. We are both conservative. Why, because of Ronald Reagan. Reagan was a childhood hero to many of us.

Ah, but you are not a millenial, no?

Facts about people born in 1990 (i.e. me, Boss Tweed, Akno...)

-GHWB was President when we were born.
-The First Gulf War was just starting/about to start when we were born.
-The USSR existed for one year when we were living.  We do not remember it.
-Ronald Reagan was that one ex-President dude who had Alzheimers.
-Grunge is soooo Gen X.
-Barney has always existed that we remember.
-The first presidential election we remember is 1996, athough we only remember it vaguely, if at all.
-Tickle Me Elmo was our first fad, followed by Tamogachi and Pokemon, then boy bands and now rap (although the last two aren't really 'fads')
-Bill Clinton was the first president that we remember.
-9/11 happened when we were 10 or 11.

Boss, Akno, any other people born in 1990... anyting else you'd like to add? Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2004, 12:26:57 PM »

I was born in 1985, so I think I fall roughly into the category bushwillwin was talking about.

I don't remember the USSR, but what I do remember from when I was 5 or so are those blue, "This is only a test.  Had this been a real emergency..." broadcast messages and how I wondered endlessly what those really were.  I thank God my parents never told me. Tongue

I think the one thing the conservative members automatically assume about our generation is that we'll have idolized Ronald Reagan.  I personally never really liked him that much.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2004, 07:30:45 PM »

Yes, it is definitely strange how people only about 3 or 4 years apart have seen things differently during their childhoods.

I remember President GHW Bush's upsetting loss to Bill Clinton in 1992.

I remember watching in horror the Oklahoma City bombing and then a whole summer of OJ Simpson.

I remember Hurricane Andrew and the Northridge earthquake.

I remember Waco.

I remember Elian Gonzalez.

I remember every Bulls championship in the 90s.

I do remember and actually was quite in to the grunge scene as a child and at the same time fell in love with Aerosmith in 1993 and Alicia Silverstone appearing in their videos.

I remember staying up until 1 am on Election Night 2000 and becoming very much into politics when I first found out that George W. Bush was running, the son of a hero of mine.

I remember watching in horror the attacks of Sept. 11 on TV, my first year in high school.

I remember the patriotic outpour afterwards and the drive to kill the f'n arabs.

I remember seeing Alladin, Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jurrasic Park, Twister, Titanic, and others in the theaters as a child.

While I was into Barney, I was also into Sesame Street, Shining Time Station, and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

I remember fads like pogs, baggy pants, Hanson, boy bands, Airwalks, Tickle me Elmo, and others.

I've noticed that a lot of kids who were born in the early 1990s missed out on a lot of the great things from 1987-1995 because they were too young to remember.  To me, the 80s ended in 1995, because really that's when the fashion changed, the entertainment changed, the politics changed, and the whole mood changed.  Kids born in the 90s missed out on all this, and that's why they have a different perspective on the world. 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2004, 08:23:20 PM »

Yes, it is definitely strange how people only about 3 or 4 years apart have seen things differently during their childhoods.

I remember President GHW Bush's upsetting loss to Bill Clinton in 1992.

No.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes.

The first news story I remember.  I actually kind of vaguely remember the chase.

No, no (funnily enough, Hurricane Andrew became a Tropical Depression on my 2nd birthday)

No.

Yes! (Wasn't that '99 or '00?)

No.

Too many obvious yes-es and nos here.  I remember Jurassic Park, tho.  And Shining Time Station!  And Mr. Roger's Neighborhood!  And Sesame Street!  (And the Weather Channel, funnily enough)

Whoops, I forgot about pogs (I liked the country Pogs!), Hanson *shudder*, and Airwalks.

Ah, but you also remember a time when you did not have a PC, do you not?  I do not.  My family got our first PC when I was 1-1/2.  I'm sure many kids around my age don't, either Smiley
raggage

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2004, 08:38:12 PM »

Did anyone see the recent 20/20 documentary on Generation 'Y' or the millenial generation (which my kids would fall under). It found that many young people were actually more liberal on issues such as abortion and gay marriage.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2004, 10:04:12 PM »

I am 27, so I am just a little older than this generation. But I was talking to someone about my age and after remembering the old days of He Man and WWF wrestling, we discussed politics. We are both conservative. Why, because of Ronald Reagan. Reagan was a childhood hero to many of us.

Ah, but you are not a millenial, no?

Facts about people born in 1990 (i.e. me, Boss Tweed, Akno...)

-GHWB was President when we were born.
-The First Gulf War was just starting/about to start when we were born.
-Ronald Reagan was that one ex-President dude who had Alzheimers.
-Grunge is soooo Gen X.
-Barney has always existed that we remember.
-The first presidential election we remember is 1996, athough we only remember it vaguely, if at all.
-Tickle Me Elmo was our first fad, followed by Tamogachi and Pokemon, then boy bands and now rap (although the last two aren't really 'fads')
-Bill Clinton was the first president that we remember.
-9/11 happened when we were 10 or 11.

Boss, Akno, any other people born in 1990... anyting else you'd like to add? Smiley

Wow, I am getting old. LOL
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2004, 11:47:19 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2004, 11:50:22 PM by Gabu »

Oh, god, don't remind me.  I was so glad when people finally shut up about Elian Gonzalez.

I remember seeing Alladin, Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jurrasic Park, Twister, Titanic, and others in the theaters as a child.

Yes!!  Those movies were awesome.

While I was into Barney, I was also into Sesame Street, Shining Time Station, and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

I was never much into Barney or Shining Time Station, but the other two I loved.  Still do, really.  The Count is quite possibly the best character ever made.  Also, you missed Thomas the Tank Engine.

I remember fads like pogs, baggy pants, Hanson, boy bands, Airwalks, Tickle me Elmo, and others.

I remember pogs.  I never really got into that, but it was all the rage when I was in grades 4 and 5.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2004, 11:48:40 PM »

Ah, but you also remember a time when you did not have a PC, do you not?  I do not.  My family got our first PC when I was 1-1/2.  I'm sure many kids around my age don't, either Smiley

I remember my first PC (well, it wasn't really mine).  I was seven, and it was a 386 that ran MS-DOS.  I remember looking at Windows 3.1 when I first saw it in 1991 or so and going, "Whoa, there's, like, pictures and stuff."
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2004, 01:19:31 AM »

I remember when the Wiggles first made it big, but not the Bananas in Pajamas Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2004, 10:34:12 AM »

Did anyone see the recent 20/20 documentary on Generation 'Y' or the millenial generation (which my kids would fall under). It found that many young people were actually more liberal on issues such as abortion and gay marriage.

No Cry
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2004, 11:16:34 AM »

I remember when Madonna sang 'Like a Virgin' at the MTV music awards...opps. That's not generation 'Y'. :-P
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2004, 02:13:53 AM »

I remember when Madonna sang 'Like a Virgin' at the MTV music awards...opps. That's not generation 'Y'. :-P

Yes, that was "Generation Why?". Cheesy
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2004, 08:33:05 AM »

Yes, that was "Generation Why?". Cheesy

I was born in 79. That's generation X.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2004, 01:38:19 PM »

Yes, I do remember a time when we had no PC.  I think we got our first when I was like 3.  And it was some old Apple or something, and the graphics were horrible.  It was good for word processing and that's about it.  We got a Packard Bell with Windows 95 when I was 8, and that was so amazing when we first got it but by the time the 90s ended, it was completeley outdated and it was time for something else.  We got a Dell with XP in 2002 and that's what I'm typing on this very moment.

I also remember no answering machines, no caller ID, no color printers, no CD players, no cell phones, and only regular Nintendo.  I do realize that some people may have had some of these luxuries in the early 90s, but I still remember a time when most people, including my middle class family, didn't.

So, it seems like while we may be born at a certain time, the memorable life doesn't really begin until we are about 3.  I'm guessing memorable life started for you around 1995.  I think it started for me around 1990.  I was born in 1987.

Getting back to the original topic, I think it's still a little early to tell what the politics of our generation will be, as only the first of a very large Gen Y is first starting their adult lives.  I think we will be conservative or 50/50, but only time will tell.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2004, 01:43:33 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2004, 01:52:47 PM by Senator StatesRights »

I remember, No cable, never had a computer, had an Atari game system. The only thing close to a computer we had was a keyboard that you plugged into your t.v. I remember a mechanical antenna we had on our roof.

I also remember watching the Challenger blow up, live on TV.
orunje

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2004, 06:36:18 AM »

-Laziness
-I don't care attitude
-Expect to just get a check instead of  earn one

In my experience the kids coming out of highschool are sorry. They don't want to work and when they do they just want to cut corners so they can get a paycheck they've barely earned. The reason is because their parents gave them to much growing up.

Every generation believes this of those who follow them, and yet there never seems to be any generation of total degenerates once they grow up.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2004, 11:02:39 PM »

-Laziness
-I don't care attitude
-Expect to just get a check instead of  earn one

Every generation believes this of those who follow them, and yet there never seems to be any generation of total degenerates once they grow up.

The 60s generation comes very close to it. Those like Kerry and his ilk. I think this current MTV generation will be a death blow to the US as we know it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies