Why did Hillary do so well in Florida?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:42:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Why did Hillary do so well in Florida?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Hillary do so well in Florida?  (Read 733 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2024, 12:37:23 PM »
« edited: March 28, 2024, 09:49:22 PM by Pres Mike »

In 2008, Florida was 4.4 points to the right of the nation. In 2012, it was 3.02 points to the right. In 2020, it was 7.9 points to the right. In 2004, it was 7.4 points to the right.

In 2016, Florida was 3.3 points to right the nation. This despite the the rest of the nation swinging right. Florida only swung 2 points to the right from 2012 to 2016 despite all the other swing states swinging 7-15 points.

The nation as a whole swung about 2 points, but it almost entirely concerted in the Midwest and Northeast. So Trump's appeal was strongest in the Midwest.

Yet in 2020, one could argue that Trump's strongest appeal was in Florida. It was the only swing state to move right

So in 2016, it seems Hillary Clinton had a unique appeal in Florida. Sure she still lost but only by 1.2 points. That seems odds considering the results of Floridian elections before and after 2016 when looking at the national popular vote. She should have lost Florida by a lot more.

Was Trump unattractive to Floridians in 2016? His 2020 results seem to suggest otherwise.

Was it the Cuban vote? Bush won 75% and 78% of the Cuban vote. Romney got 52% in 2012 to Obama's 48%. In 2016,Trump won 52-41% of the Cuban vote. So Hillary wasn't more popular with Cubans.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 01:16:29 PM »

She actually put a lot of effort into turning out voters in Florida's urban areas (especially South Florida), and she was also able to leverage her husband's ties to the state to her advantage. She did better than Obama in the urban areas of the state; it's the suburban/exurban areas (especially in and around I-4) that gave the state to Trump.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 01:28:12 PM »

She actually put a lot of effort into turning out voters in Florida's urban areas (especially South Florida), and she was also able to leverage her husband's ties to the state to her advantage. She did better than Obama in the urban areas of the state; it's the suburban/exurban areas (especially in and around I-4) that gave the state to Trump.
Would she have won the state without the Comey letter?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 01:36:42 PM »

Short answer: Miami-Dade County

Another short answer: Hispanics, and to a lesser extant, Jews

Hillary Clinton's performance in Miami-Dade was something. Obama carried that county by 16% in 2008, increased his margin to 24 in 2012, and then the country swung even further left when Hillary won Miami-Dade by a whopping 29 points (the best showing of any Democratic presidential nominee since the 1940s; even LBJ only carried the county by 28). Then came 2020, when the Democratic margin in Miami-Dade shrunk to just 7 (barely better than Gore/Kerry margins). Also remember that this is Florida's most populous county, so sharp swings in Miami-Dade do affect statewide margins at least a little.

Of course, a lot of it has to do with ethnicity. Miami-Dade has a large Hispanic majority, and Hispanic voters provided Democrats with especially large majorities in both 2012 and 2016. Hillary Clinton also slightly outperformed both Biden 2020 and Obama 2012 among Jewish voters, who are well-represented in the South Florida electorate.

One other thing that might have also boosted Hillary Clinton's Florida performance was her husband's appeal. Bill campaigned heavily in the state and handily carried it 1996, and seemed to be pretty popular among Florida Democrats. The Bill connection could in part explain why such Democrats as Al Gore and Hillary Clinton came close to winning Florida.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 01:41:42 PM »

You could argue either way. Exit polls showed that 11% of FL's electorate decided their votes in the final week before Election Day, and Trump won this group 55-38. On the other hand, I've heard political commentators say that Comey was at best "one of the factors" in late-breaking voters breaking for Trump.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 01:51:59 PM »

In 2008, Florida was 4.4 points to the right of the nation. In 2012, it was 3.02 points to the right. In 2020, it was 7.9 points to the right. In 2004, it was 7.4 points to the right.

In 2016, Florida was 3.3 points to right the nation. This despite the the rest of the nation swinging right. Florida only swung 2 points to the right from 2012 to 2016 despite all the other swing states swinging 7-15 points.

The nation as a whole swung about 2 points, but it almost entirely concerted in the Midwest and Northeast. So Trump's appeal was strongest in the Midwest.

Yet in 2020, one could argue that Trump's strongest appeal was in Florida. It was the only swing state to move right

So in 2016, it seems Hillary Clinton had a unique appeal in Florida. Sure she still lost but only by 3 points. That seems odds considering the results of Floridian elections before and after 2016 when looking at the national popular vote. She should have lost Florida by a lot more.

Was Trump unattractive to Floridians in 2016? His 2020 results seem to suggest otherwise.

Was it the Cuban vote? Bush won 75% and 78% of the Cuban vote. Romney got 52% in 2012 to Obama's 48%. In 2016,Trump won 52-41% of the Cuban vote. So Hillary wasn't more popular with Cubans.

Trump won FL by 1.2% in 2016
Yes? What did I say that conflicts that?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 02:10:48 PM »

So in 2016, it seems Hillary Clinton had a unique appeal in Florida. Sure she still lost but only by 3 points. That seems odds considering the results of Floridian elections before and after 2016 when looking at the national popular vote. She should have lost Florida by a lot more.

Near the end of the post you say Clinton lost by 3.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 03:24:40 PM »

Imagine if she won Florida with the rest staying the same. Trump would still have won with 277 electoral votes then. But it would have blown anybody's mind in the summer and fall of 2016 to think about Clinton winning Florida while losing the election. It was actually believed that once the state is called for her early into the night, the whole thing is just over.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 03:39:13 PM »

Imagine if she won Florida with the rest staying the same. Trump would still have won with 277 electoral votes then. But it would have blown anybody's mind in the summer and fall of 2016 to think about Clinton winning Florida while losing the election. It was actually believed that once the state is called for her early into the night, the whole thing is just over.

So much PTSD.

I remember Hillary releasing her “Tomorrow” ad the day before the election and believing, finally, that my ten years of understanding this woman’s great strengths would be validated in the mainstream. She’d be president, despite the hate from every side. The election would be over and Trump would be gone—a verified joke, defeated in a landslide.

Oh, how things turned.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 09:53:42 PM »

You mistakenly said that Clinton lost by 3.
My bad, I meant to say Florida was 3 points to the right of the nation, Trump won 1.2 points
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 09:55:53 PM »

So much PTSD.

I remember Hillary releasing her “Tomorrow” ad the day before the election and believing, finally, that my ten years of understanding this woman’s great strengths would be validated in the mainstream. She’d be president, despite the hate from every side. The election would be over and Trump would be gone—a verified joke, defeated in a landslide.

Oh, how things turned.
Same

I remember a politico article the day before titled "Hillary on the edge" basically celebrating her victory. This made me scared, I considered it a bad omen. I remember checking the polls a day or two before the election. Trump was leading in Ohio, Iowa and Florida. I saw MI and PA were tossups and Trump just needed one. It scared me and my fears came true.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 10:02:37 PM »

You could argue either way. Exit polls showed that 11% of FL's electorate decided their votes in the final week before Election Day, and Trump won this group 55-38. On the other hand, I've heard political commentators say that Comey was at best "one of the factors" in late-breaking voters breaking for Trump.
Hillary spent a lot of money in Ohio. Lots of campaign visits too. 2016 was the last 2000s era election where the key states were seen as Ohio and Florida.
I remember watching CNN after the 2020 election. President Biden made enough gains in Florida's suburbs to have won the state had he matched Hillary's performance everywhere else. But Trump's unexpected gains more than cancelled them out, unlike the other swing states.

Florida is probably the one state where it being highly urban hurt Democrats in 2020 lol
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 10:56:11 PM »

Hillary spent a lot of money in Ohio. Lots of campaign visits too. 2016 was the last 2000s era election where the key states were seen as Ohio and Florida.
I remember watching CNN after the 2020 election. President Biden made enough gains in Florida's suburbs to have won the state had he matched Hillary's performance everywhere else. But Trump's unexpected gains more than cancelled them out, unlike the other swing states.

Florida is probably the one state where it being highly urban hurt Democrats in 2020 lol

Actually, in the suburban/exurban counties in the I-4 region (namely, Brevard, Citrus, Flagler, Hardee, Hernando, Highlands, Lake, Manatee, Marion, Pasco, Polk, Sarasota, Sumter, and Volusia Counties), Trump improved on his margins in terms of raw votes in 2020 compared to 2016 (Trump gained about 232K raw votes in these counties in 2016 and another 45K raw votes here in 2020). Thus, Biden failed to make a significant dent in Trump's margins in this region, which was another contributing factor to Trump's improved margins in the state (in fact, if margins in the suburban/exurban counties listed above had reverted to 2012 levels, Trump's 2020 margin of victory in FL would have been a bit narrower than his 2016 margin of victory).
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 02:18:34 PM »

Actually, in the suburban/exurban counties in the I-4 region (namely, Brevard, Citrus, Flagler, Hardee, Hernando, Highlands, Lake, Manatee, Marion, Pasco, Polk, Sarasota, Sumter, and Volusia Counties), Trump improved on his margins in terms of raw votes in 2020 compared to 2016 (Trump gained about 232K raw votes in these counties in 2016 and another 45K raw votes here in 2020). Thus, Biden failed to make a significant dent in Trump's margins in this region, which was another contributing factor to Trump's improved margins in the state (in fact, if margins in the suburban/exurban counties listed above had reverted to 2012 levels, Trump's 2020 margin of victory in FL would have been a bit narrower than his 2016 margin of victory).
Where did Biden improve on Hillary in Florida and where did he decline?
First1There
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 04:52:06 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2024, 12:12:54 AM by First1There »

Where did Biden improve on Hillary in Florida and where did he decline?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Florida_County_Swing_2020.svg/1920px-Florida_County_Swing_2020.svg.png

He improved in these places. This is a percentage swing map, so absolute vote gains might be different.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2024, 10:42:48 PM »

In terms of counties where the net vote margin shifted towards Biden relative to Hillary, the list is this, Okaloosa, Clay, Brevard, Escambia, St. Lucie, Pinellas, Seminole, Duval, Hillsborough, Alachua, Orange, Leon and Gadsden.

Mostly counties in the north of the state plus the I4 corridor ones with a lot of college whites.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 08:16:47 PM »

Why did the I-4 suburbs swing towards Trump when suburbs across the nation went left?
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 08:42:05 PM »

Why did the I-4 suburbs swing towards Trump when suburbs across the nation went left?

These places are generally whiter and less educated overall, and Democrats have tanked in places with these characteristics recently. Here are a few examples:

FL Statewide - 52% Non-Hispanic White, 32% College Educated

Hernando County - 74% NHW, 20% CE
Marion County - 67% NHW, 22% CE
Pasco County - 69% NHW, 27% CE
Volusia County - 69% NHW, 26% CE

etc.

These places also have many transplants from the upper Midwest, so Trump's 2016 success in this region was, in retrospect, an early indication of his success in the Rust Belt.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 08:48:00 PM »

These places are generally whiter and less educated overall, and Democrats have tanked in places with these characteristics recently. Here are a few examples:

FL Statewide - 52% Non-Hispanic White, 32% College Educated

Hernando County - 74% NHW, 20% CE
Marion County - 67% NHW, 22% CE
Pasco County - 69% NHW, 27% CE
Volusia County - 69% NHW, 26% CE

etc.

These places also have many transplants from the upper Midwest, so Trump's 2016 success in this region was, in retrospect, an early indication of his success in the Rust Belt.
I see, so Florida's suburbs just aren't like suburbs in Atlanta or Houston

Kinda like suburbs in Tennessee. They are far more conservative than the rest of the nation
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 08:50:27 AM »

- Trump's rhetoric was much more anti-Latino in 2016 compared to 2020
- More Silent Generation and even a few lingering Greatest Generation retirees who have since died but might have been a bit more deferential to Hillary than the current wave of Boomer retirees
- Newcomers to Florida under DeSantis have been much more overwhelmingly conservative.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2024, 10:26:21 AM »

- Trump's rhetoric was much more anti-Latino in 2016 compared to 2020
- More Silent Generation and even a few lingering Greatest Generation retirees who have since died but might have been a bit more deferential to Hillary than the current wave of Boomer retirees
- Newcomers to Florida under DeSantis have been much more overwhelmingly conservative.
Yeah, the "Freedom in a Covid context" hadn't happened yet. Those elderly voters were fans of her husband I imagine.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies