1976 No Watergate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:07:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 No Watergate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1976 No Watergate  (Read 1782 times)
ReaganLimbaugh
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2024, 05:16:16 PM »

How does 1976 go if no Watergate or it is buried 10000 feet below ground (non issue).  Under this scenario Nixon has a mediocre run from 1974 to 1976 and the North Vietnamese actually recognize the Paris accords.

Who wins the Democrat nomination.....how does the primary go?  How is the GOP side different than in real life?

Your thoughts???
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 05:47:42 PM »

Reagan would had probably won the GOP primaries.
On this particular scenario, maybe Church would had won the democrat primaries.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 05:48:20 PM »

Would Hubert Humphrey or Teddy Kennedy have run for the Democratic nomination in this scenario?

Otherwise, the profile of the remaining Democrats drops off significantly. However, I think it's a bit hard to imagine this counterfactual because key Democrats profiles were raised due to Watergate (like Jimmy Carter and Mo Udall.) What would have been the main issues if not for Watergate?

Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 05:49:47 PM »

Makes sense since the hearings on Cointrelpro/Operation Chaos weren't related to Watergate.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 06:51:30 PM »

Does Agnew still resign/have his corruption issues? If not, he'd probably be favored for the Republican nomination being the Vice President and having a strong connection to the base. Would be a crowded field in any event, regardless of if the VP was Agnew or Ford or someone else. Reagan probably runs, as well as other conservatives like maybe John Connally. Without Ford as President a lot more room for moderates like Charles Percy and Howard Baker as well. Assuming Agnew was out, I would think of that group Reagan would be the most likely nominee.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 10:17:45 PM »

Does Agnew still resign/have his corruption issues? If not, he'd probably be favored for the Republican nomination being the Vice President and having a strong connection to the base. Would be a crowded field in any event, regardless of if the VP was Agnew or Ford or someone else. Reagan probably runs, as well as other conservatives like maybe John Connally. Without Ford as President a lot more room for moderates like Charles Percy and Howard Baker as well. Assuming Agnew was out, I would think of that group Reagan would be the most likely nominee.

I think Reagan would beat out even VP Agnew or VP Ford, given that he performed respectably against President Ford irl.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 07:49:36 AM »

I think Reagan would beat out even VP Agnew or VP Ford, given that he performed respectably against President Ford irl.

I agree on Ford, certainly, but Agnew was seen as being on the right of the party and was something of a darling in those circles, so I think he would probably undercut some of Reagan's support. That being said he also had a lot of other faults that probably hurt him so I think it remains competitive no matter what.
Prez_zf
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 09:38:51 AM »

In my view, Connally probably wins the nomination, defeating Mathias or Anderson. As for the Dems, Mo Udall might win. The election would come down to the wire.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 06:26:29 PM »

Yes, Agnew still resigns.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 06:27:16 PM »

Hubert no, Kennedy maybe.

Brother Jonathan

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 10:44:11 PM »

Yeah, in that case Reagan for the Republican, though maybe more conservatives would be in the primary and complicate his path a bit, but that didn't really impact him in 1980 all that much.
katelyn not caitlin
katelyn.a.paulie
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 05:28:56 PM »

How does 1977-81 Reagan handle the fall of the Shah and the trouble in Afghanistan?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 08:52:40 PM »

Probably U.S. Senator Scoop Jackson v. VP Spiro Agnew or Governor Ronald Reagan...maybe Senator Bob Dole.
ClassicElectionEnthusiast
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2024, 12:18:37 PM »

Makes sense since the hearings on Cointrelpro/Operation Chaos weren't related to Watergate.

I'm curious as to how much with regards to COINTELPRO and the other CIA/FBI illegal activities would have come to light had it not been for Watergate?
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2024, 01:03:47 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2024, 04:38:53 PM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

I'm curious as to how much with regards to COINTELPRO and the other CIA/FBI illegal activities would have come to light had it not been for Watergate?

It might have been due to other Nixon related activity, but the discovery of COINTELPRO (and Operation Chaos/MK Ultra) occurred before the Watergate break-in (June 1972.)

The Citizens' Commission the Investigate the FBI broke into the Pennsylvania  FBI office sometime in 1971.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_Commission_to_Investigate_the_FBI

Edit to add: I'm sure the direct antecedent to 'The Citizens' Commission to Investigate the FBI' was the release of the Pentagon Papers, not Watergate.

Of course, it could also have been Nixon's reaction to the release of the Pentagon Papers, which was to break into Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrists' office. I'm not sure when that became public knowledge though.

Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2024, 01:06:11 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2024, 01:13:35 PM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

Probably U.S. Senator Scoop Jackson v. VP Spiro Agnew or Governor Ronald Reagan...maybe Senator Bob Dole.

Senator Scoop Jackson is interesting given that I think it was generally regarded even at that time that the inflation of the 1970s (starting in 1966) was sparked by LBJ's Guns and Butter policies and Scoop Jackson was Guns and Butter multiplied.

Liberal Walter Mondale had no problem with that in 1984 because he promised to raise taxes (which probably hurt him in the general election) and he had been Vice President under Carter's austerity budgets (relative to Reagan.)

However, for instance, liberal Illinois Senator Paul Simon's campaign was ended by his inability to answer how he'd pay for all his program spending in 1988.

I suspect that Scoop Jackson would ultimately have suffered the same fate in this scenario.
katelyn not caitlin
katelyn.a.paulie
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2024, 01:50:05 PM »

Richard Helms et al will still likely destroy most of the evidence even without Watergate.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2024, 02:14:32 PM »

In my view, Connally probably wins the nomination, defeating Mathias or Anderson. As for the Dems, Mo Udall might win. The election would come down to the wire.

Agreed, this is the most likely scenario in my view as well. I think Connally ends up winning, but loses in a landslide in 1980.

✓ Former Treasury Secretary John Connally (R-TX)/Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV): 294 EV. (49.77%)
Representative Mo Udall (D-AZ)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 244 EV. (48.06%)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 04:42:56 PM »

Richard Helms et al will still likely destroy most of the evidence even without Watergate.

This is kind of interesting, but I don't know if it means anything. There are two sayings related to this
1.Every document has a cousin
2.Every document is in triplicate.

So, in boxes all over the country if not the world, there are likely Operation Chaos/MK Ultra documents just waiting to be discovered.
katelyn not caitlin
katelyn.a.paulie
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2024, 07:34:38 PM »

This is kind of interesting, but I don't know if it means anything. There are two sayings related to this

So, in boxes all over the country if not the world, there are likely Operation Chaos/MK Ultra documents just waiting to be discovered.
I'm referring to OTL -- which is why a full investigation was impossible.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2024, 08:19:27 PM »

I'm referring to OTL -- which is why a full investigation was impossible.

I recognize that, but there are discoveries now and then, like those of Jolly West.

Even Wikipedia acknowledges that West worked for the CIA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Jolyon_West
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 08:46:20 PM »

Agreed, this is the most likely scenario in my view as well. I think Connally ends up winning, but loses in a landslide in 1980.

✓ Former Treasury Secretary John Connally (R-TX)/Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV): 294 EV. (49.77%)
Representative Mo Udall (D-AZ)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 244 EV. (48.06%)

If that were the scenario Mo Udall (and I think there's a very good chance he would have won the nomination as well) would have been the first member of the House of Representatives to win the nomination of a major party since...? (I don't know the answer.)
Prez_zf
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 09:24:59 PM »

If that were the scenario Mo Udall (and I think there's a very good chance he would have won the nomination as well) would have been the first member of the House of Representatives to win the nomination of a major party since...? (I don't know the answer.)
Garfield if I'm not mistaken.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 09:26:44 PM »

Garfield if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks!
Steve from Lambeth
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2024, 09:30:04 PM »

Everybody welcome Katelyn! To answer her first point - I don't think the Persian monarchy would have collapsed in 1979 or any other point in an earlier Reagan Presidency. (The Trump Effect comes to mind.)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies