Sir Salman Rushdie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:39:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sir Salman Rushdie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sir Salman Rushdie  (Read 2226 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »

I'm somewhat surprised this hasn't been mentioned here before... Salman Rushdie, author of the Satanic Verses, has been knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. Iran and Pakistan are both irate. Here's a somewhat PC-ized article from the Independent:

Iran and Pakistan call for explanation of Rushdie's knighthood

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here's another article, from the Washington Times:

Sir Salman slammed

Read both for more.

My opinion? I never read anything by Rushdie, but he's probably a decent enough person, given that he was honored by a person I  respect (HM Queen Elizabeth II) and condemned by governments (those of Iran and Pakistan) who I hold in utter contempt.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:50:25 AM »

He certainly deserves to be knighted for showing the danger of Islam. Too bad that many even now prefer to close their eyes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 08:55:41 AM »

Any chance of him paying back all the money spent on protecting him?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:29:36 AM »

What did this guy get a knighthood for?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:31:30 AM »

Major Author.

And famous for being sentenced to death by the Ayatollah after one of his books, The Satanic Verses, did not portay Islam in a very good light.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »

Hooray!
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »

As much chance, as Andrew Marr pointed out, as Pakistan returning the aid increase we gave them last year.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »

Some nut in the Pakistani parliament is calling for Osama bin Laden to be 'knighted' in response to this.  Yeah, because what Rushdie and Osama did is exactly the same thing...

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/74462.html
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 12:47:08 PM »

I didn't like The Satanic Verses but he deserves to be knighted for courage.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:14 PM »

As much chance, as Andrew Marr pointed out, as Pakistan returning the aid increase we gave them last year.

Heh. True. Twas but a cheap shot and not really meant anyway.

Btw, my problem with Rushdie isn't the Satantic Verses (or all the money spent on him) as such, but the fact that all his books post-Midnight's Children have been little more than self-regarding dross, of the sort that is much too common in modern literature.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »

Some nut in the Pakistani parliament is calling for Osama bin Laden to be 'knighted' in response to this.  Yeah, because what Rushdie and Osama did is exactly the same thing...

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/74462.html

This is actually a great plan.  Instead him to Buckingham Palace to be knighted and arrest him.  I like it
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 04:54:35 AM »

Major Author.

And famous for being sentenced to death by the Ayatollah after one of his books, The Satanic Verses, did not portay Islam in a very good light.

One of his sh!tty books. He's written some absolutely great books too, btw. Although too self-respecting they certainly are... still, has anyone on here read Fury?

I read this interview with a Marathi author about it... reiterating the point (also made by Rushdie a lot) that Iran were actually johnny-come-latelies to the "Burn the Satanic Verses" camp - the book was banned in India before anybody in Iran took note at all.
He also expressed outrage at the committee that nominates candidates for the Knighthood, and their ridiculous declaration that they hadn't expected this to be controversial at all and had hoped to make a gesture of east-west reconciliation. He basically said "this is so dumb a lie that no one in the world will fall for it. They must have known how controversial this would be, and if they don't have the courage to stand by their decision then it would have been better if they hadn't made it."
And of course he commented negatively on censorship on account of hurt religious feelings, whether Muslim, Hindu, or Christian (cough Da Vinci Code) , all of which is quite common in the Subcontinent and becoming more so.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 07:09:52 AM »

Heh. True. Twas but a cheap shot and not really meant anyway.

Btw, my problem with Rushdie isn't the Satantic Verses (or all the money spent on him) as such, but the fact that all his books post-Midnight's Children have been little more than self-regarding dross, of the sort that is much too common in modern literature.

Midnight's Children is, obviously, a masterpiece, but some of the rest isn't bad either. Actually, I like Satanic Verses a lot - it would have been a really great book, had it been somewhat shorter: in my extremely humble opinion, he didn't know how and when to finish (and, frankly, had he dropped the "Khomeini" line, the book wouldn't have lost much, if anything, and the author might have been spared the Great Man's attention Smiley )
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 12:28:31 PM »

... has anyone on here read Fury?
[/quote]

No.  I've never read anything by Rushdie.  Honestly I have rather a prejudice against that type of writer.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 12:29:10 PM »

He sure can write.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 01:16:47 PM »

Can he?  Where was he educated?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »

No.  I've never read anything by Rushdie.  Honestly I have rather a prejudice against that type of writer.

I thought you'd like him for slandering religion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 01:42:01 PM »

I love the religion-slandering, I'm just somewhat unenthused about third-world literature.  My favorite authors are mostly public-schooled Englishmen.. and a few Americans of similar class.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 09:23:07 AM »

I love the religion-slandering, I'm just somewhat unenthused about third-world literature.  My favorite authors are mostly public-schooled Englishmen.. and a few Americans of similar class.

Rushdie was educated at a private school of some kind in Bombay/Mumbai, at a public school in England (Rugby IIRC) and then at Cambridge. I think you'd like him.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 12:44:26 PM »

Rushdie was educated at a private school of some kind in Bombay/Mumbai, at a public school in England (Rugby IIRC) and then at Cambridge. I think you'd like him.

Perhaps so now that you fill in the blanks!  I tend to like a writer that was reared in Latin and peer-buggery.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies