Most Partisan State?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:46:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most Partisan State?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most Partisan State?  (Read 7257 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »

What is it for both sides?

I'd say NJ is definetly the most blindly Democrat state and UT is the most blindly Republican state.  Any thoughts?  (sorry if I did this before)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:17:01 PM »

I think people in California are blindly partisan, though with our population having a consistent 55-45 divide it doesn't seem apparent at first.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 06:23:50 PM »

The most polarized state is definitley NJ.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »

No way! Look at MS for example. Nearly all blacks vote Dem and nearly all whites vote Rep.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »

No way! Look at MS for example. Nearly all blacks vote Dem and nearly all whites vote Rep.
Alabama also fits that criteria. Just take a look at the 2004 map.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2007, 07:04:15 PM by Verily »

Already stated. California or somewhere in the South (MS or AL most likely). New Jersey isn't hyperpartisan, just grumpy and not keen on conservative social policies.

There are no conservatives in New Jersey who could compare to the conservatives of California nor any liberals in New Jersey who could compare to the liberals of California.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:15:13 PM »

^^^ moreso in MS than any other state.

For example, GWB won 85% of MS white men and 89% of white women in 2004.  That's almost as high as blacks going for Democrats.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »

That's why I'm never stepping foot in MS. Even if for some reason I have to drive through it (very unlikely), I'd drive through the state without making a stop.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:47:58 PM »

Already stated. California or somewhere in the South (MS or AL most likely). New Jersey isn't hyperpartisan, just grumpy and not keen on conservative social policies.

There are no conservatives in New Jersey who could compare to the conservatives of California nor any liberals in New Jersey who could compare to the liberals of California.

California and most of the south will still elect people of both parties to the state level.  As will every state in New England.  New Jersey stopped doing that in 1997 and I don't anticipate a Republican will be elected statewide there any time soon.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »

California and most of the south will still elect people of both parties to the state level.  As will every state in New England.  New Jersey stopped doing that in 1997 and I don't anticipate a Republican will be elected statewide there any time soon.

When was the last time a Republican in Schwarzenegger's or Weld's mold ran in NJ? You guessed it... 1997.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 11:15:59 PM »

That's why I'm never stepping foot in MS. Even if for some reason I have to drive through it (very unlikely), I'd drive through the state without making a stop.
Don't worry, we'll change.

And if you do find yourself in MS, come visit me in Starkville.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 11:37:06 PM »

What is it for both sides?

I'd say NJ is definetly the most blindly Democrat state and UT is the most blindly Republican state.  Any thoughts?  (sorry if I did this before)

nah, Massachusetts would be the most blindly Dem.  Out of 10 congressmen they have no Republicans.  Probably the highest amount of districts for a state to have 100% of the seats go to one party.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:39:37 PM »

For example, GWB won 85% of MS white men and 89% of white women in 2004.  That's almost as high as blacks going for Democrats.

Harry, I heard (possibly from you) that it's mostly younger blacks that vote liberal and older blacks are more conservative (although still reluctant to vote Republican).  Sound statement?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »

When was the last time a Republican in Schwarzenegger's or Weld's mold ran in NJ? You guessed it... 1997.

Diane Allen, 2002.  I'd also argue that Forrester's mangled and poorly run campaigns were moderate -- but highly uninspiring.

Even a liberal Republican would probably get tossed around like a beanbag in New Jersey.  People assumed Tom Kean Jr. was far more moderate than he really was, and look how far that got him.

nah, Massachusetts would be the most blindly Dem.  Out of 10 congressmen they have no Republicans.  Probably the highest amount of districts for a state to have 100% of the seats go to one party.

That's true.  The State GOP was on life support when Romney won his upset in 2002; its flatlined since then.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 11:56:56 PM »

Yes, Massachusetts is the only state with a number of congressional districts in the double digits that has all held by one party.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 12:12:56 AM »

Harry, I heard (possibly from you) that it's mostly younger blacks that vote liberal and older blacks are more conservative (although still reluctant to vote Republican).  Sound statement?

Yes, I believe that statement is sound.  Also, young blacks are actually voting in Mississippi, at much higher than expected rates than, say, young whites or older blacks.  That explains how Kerry won the under 30's in Mississippi.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 12:26:11 AM »

Depends.  California has very Partisan people from both sides.  Mississippi and Alabama are very racially partisan on the Presidential level.  Though Rhode Island and Mass are the most partisan as a whole state,  look at their state Assembly's and Senate.

MA State Senate 34-5 in favor of the Dems 1 vacant
MA State Assembly 141-19 Dems

RI  State Senate 33-5 Dems
RI State Assembly 60-15 Dems
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 01:08:25 AM »

California is not excessively partisan.  If it were, Arnold would not have been re-elected by 17%.  Phil Angelides is the kind of candidate we would expect to win a really partisan state, especially in a Democratic year.  Arnold would probably not have ever been Governor to begin with, because an excessively partisan state would not have recalled Gray Davis in the first place.

California is Democratic because of abortion more than partisanship.  There are about 55% of voters who will never vote for a pro-life candidate,and since the Republican party here is no less conservative than the national party (Unlike the GOP in some liberal states) we tend to nominate pro-life candidates who are way too conservative for the state (Bill Simon in 2002).  When we nominate people who are a better ideological fit for the state.  No matter what state you're talking about, if one party keeps nominating peple who don't fit the ideology of the state, they're not going to win, and this isn't a sign of partisanship by voters its a sign of incomeptence by one state party organization.

I would determine partisanship this way: In what states would a capable, well financed, scandal free candidate from the minority party who is still a reasonable fit for the ideology of their state still probably lose to a bumbling scandal ridden candidate from the majority party?  States like Utah have ideological reasons for overwhelmingly favoring one party, so I wouldn't include those.

My picks: New Jersey, Illinois, Tennessee, and Michigan
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 01:11:16 AM »

Massachusetts and Idaho.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 02:28:29 AM »

my guess would be Idaho and Alaska, they both have extremes on either sides (though with much larger conservative bases than liberal)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 02:56:10 AM »

Most partisan state overall would be Idaho, in my opinion. I mean, comon... Bill Sali won an open seat in the more-liberal district against a credible challenger in a Democratic year.

As for Democratic, I am not sure. Even Massachusetts and New York had Republican Governors until this year...  But I suppose I'll just go ahead and say Massachusetts, with honorable mentions going to New York and New Jersey.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 07:58:33 AM »

I think some are confusing liberal/conservative with Democrat/Republican.  California very well might have the most staunch liberals, but electing Arnold shows they are not blindly partisan.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »

Umm... Guys, don't forget Angelides wasn't exactly a decent candidate, especially if he could only win Santa Cruz, Alameda, Marin, and LA counties (plus, obviously, SF)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 06:33:14 PM »

Umm... Guys, don't forget Angelides wasn't exactly a decent candidate, especially if he could only win Santa Cruz, Alameda, Marin, and LA counties (plus, obviously, SF)

That just proves CA is't that partisan.  If the Republican is clearly superior to the Democrat, we vote for him.

Compare to New Jersey, which will elect any crooked scumbag with a D next to his name.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 08:01:17 PM »

Most partisan state overall would be Idaho, in my opinion. I mean, comon... Bill Sali won an open seat in the more-liberal district against a credible challenger in a Democratic year.

That doesn't prove partisanship, in fact that race actually serves more as a counter-example. Larry Grant got 45% in a district Kerry barely broke 30% in. That shows there were plenty of Republicans willing to cross lines to vote for him. If Sali had gotten elected in say a 55% Bush district, it would be good evidence, since it shows how many Republicans are willing to vote for anyone with an R next to their name, but that's clearly not the case in Idaho.

In NJ, the Republicans usually can get 45% no problem, but they can never get that extra 5%. That's partisanship. Very few swing voters.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies