I Have bad feelings about 08!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:41:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  I Have bad feelings about 08!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I Have bad feelings about 08!  (Read 5961 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2007, 05:21:55 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2007, 06:37:10 PM by Kevin »

With the way things are going for the Republican party combined with the Iraq issue which is the Preisdent's own making,I'm really starting to get the feeling that the Republicans are going to lose the White House in 2008 to ether Clinton or Obama also I think the Democrats are going to gain some seats in the Senate, I think Sununu is gone, Smith is going to be and the Republicans might want to kiss off Colorado and Virginia if Warner retires. Also I think Collins is in big trouble, I think 2008 is shaping up to be another 2006 for the Republicans.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:21:49 PM »

At the risk of expressing an unpopular opinion, I’m not so sure the republicans losing would be such a bad thing.  Do I want to see it? Not really. But The Republican party has alienated a lot of people with not only the war, but with this immigration reform bill that Bush wants signed so badly. Frankly, I think the base is fed up with the party. I believe one of the best things that could happen would be a landslide defeat in 2008. Hopefully this would let some other faction get control of the party and reform it a bit because as of right now, the Republicans have to cut their losses.

The factions within the party, while always having different views, have always been able to more or less work together. However, they face a challenge in 2008 because no matter who the Republicans nominate, a significant part  of the base has serious problems with them. For example, Romney will always be damaged a little in the Religious rights eyes because of his religion and shifting stances on the issues. likewise, Rudy is seen as just as bad as any Democratic candidate by many on the right. I know little about Fred Thompson, but he seems rather Bush friendly, which is not a position you really want to be in. Anyway, if you can compare the Republican base with the Democrat base, I think you’ll find the Democrat base to be pretty unified. A lot of them don’t like Hillary, but even then, I think most Democrats are so fed up that they would suck it up and vote for her, especially over someone like Romney or Thompson. So as of right now, I predict[for all the effect that has.] that the Dems enjoy a modest to high advantage in 2008.

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:58:44 PM »

At the risk of expressing an unpopular opinion, I’m not so sure the republicans losing would be such a bad thing.  Do I want to see it? Not really. But The Republican party has alienated a lot of people with not only the war, but with this immigration reform bill that Bush wants signed so badly. Frankly, I think the base is fed up with the party. I believe one of the best things that could happen would be a landslide defeat in 2008. Hopefully this would let some other faction get control of the party and reform it a bit because as of right now, the Republicans have to cut their losses.

The factions within the party, while always having different views, have always been able to more or less work together. However, they face a challenge in 2008 because no matter who the Republicans nominate, a significant part  of the base has serious problems with them. For example, Romney will always be damaged a little in the Religious rights eyes because of his religion and shifting stances on the issues. likewise, Rudy is seen as just as bad as any Democratic candidate by many on the right. I know little about Fred Thompson, but he seems rather Bush friendly, which is not a position you really want to be in. Anyway, if you can compare the Republican base with the Democrat base, I think you’ll find the Democrat base to be pretty unified. A lot of them don’t like Hillary, but even then, I think most Democrats are so fed up that they would suck it up and vote for her, especially over someone like Romney or Thompson. So as of right now, I predict[for all the effect that has.] that the Dems enjoy a modest to high advantage in 2008.

I thought Bush was doing a good job up to his 04 reelection, Then after that he went downhill part of it is this Iraq war dragging him down along with his resistent attitude to change in the why things are done, Also I've been stunchly opposed to this amesty bill since the beginning with a strong feeling resides with me that a immgration amesty is bad news for this country combined with the Iraq war surge which looks like it's not working. So I'm starting to wonder if it may be in the good of the Republican party to just dump Bush and ignore him and to begin supporting a gradual US pullout from the Iraq Conflict.   
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »

Well, things aren't good for the Republicans if the Democrats don't screw up... which they've been known to do.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »

Don't worry Kevin, we Democrats have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory plenty of times in the past.  If we nominate Hillary, don't worry, we may well be on track to doing it again.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 08:31:34 AM »

Eh, I'm not as worried. As long as I keep Chris Shays as my Congressman, I'm set.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:21:38 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2007, 12:29:05 PM by Kevin »

Don't worry Kevin, we Democrats have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory plenty of times in the past.  If we nominate Hillary, don't worry, we may well be on track to doing it again.

Hillary has ben underestimated in all of this and Obama has been overestimated. Also people may not like Hillary but in 08 people are most likely going to be so fed up with Republicans that they will vote for her, That's what I'm beginnning to think.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 12:56:21 PM »

Also I think a Hillary Clinton Presidency is bad news for this country.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »

I hear negative about Bush...but not really about McCain or Rudy. But I DO hear negative about Clinton.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 02:09:43 PM »

I hear negative about Bush...but not really about McCain or Rudy. But I DO hear negative about Clinton.

Perhaps if you occasionally took your fingers out of your ears for long enough, you'd hear plenty of negative things about McCain and Rudy.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »

Perhaps if you occasionally took your fingers out of your ears for long enough, you'd hear plenty of negative things about McCain and Rudy.

He is right with Rudy although you hear some bad things about him he is still viewed in a good light, However McCain is being viewed as a whore to the Bush agenda.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 02:48:04 PM »

Republicans deserve to lose every single race in 2008.
However, Democrats have shown that they are excellent at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Only 27% of Democrats approve of a Democratically controlled Congress. Pelosi is working hard to lower those numbers.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »

Republicans deserve to lose every single race in 2008.
However, Democrats have shown that they are excellent at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Only 27% of Democrats approve of a Democratically controlled Congress. Pelosi is working hard to lower those numbers.

Pelosi, Like the Republican leadership before her is pursuing the wrong agenda at the wrong time, Just tune into C-Span and you will see what I'm talking about.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »

Those are good feelings and they will happen too!
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 01:56:28 PM »

You guys realize a McCain or Romney Presidency would be essentially no different than a Clinton Presidency?

They'd still support for illegal's amnesty, socialized medicine, taxes to repay the deficit, while digging a larger deficit with the first two...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »

Why do Republicans fear a Hillary Clinton presidency so much? She's easily far more right wing than Obama or Edwards.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 05:37:08 PM »

You guys realize a McCain or Romney Presidency would be essentially no different than a Clinton Presidency?

They'd still support for illegal's amnesty, socialized medicine, taxes to repay the deficit, while digging a larger deficit with the first two...
Liberitarians make me laugh!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 11:09:50 PM »

Kevin, I have bad feelings to and I lean Democratic.  I think the Democrats are throwing away would could have been a great year in 2008.  However, the Republicans are certainly helping the cause as they are blocking every initiative Democrats pass in the House.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »

No, a McCain or Romney presidency would be worse than a Clinton presidency. Clinton would be too polarizing to be able to pass any major economic reforms (including universal health care), whereas McCain and Romney would be utter statists.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 12:22:46 AM »

No, a McCain or Romney presidency would be worse than a Clinton presidency. Clinton would be too polarizing to be able to pass any major economic reforms (including universal health care), whereas McCain and Romney would be utter statists.

McCain has proved himself to be somewhat indecsive recently,However I think Romney would make a pretty good President,He has business insight,He is well motivated and well driven and he seems compremising on alot issues.   
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 12:31:43 AM »

McCain has proved himself to be somewhat indecsive recently,However I think Romney would make a pretty good President,He has business insight,He is well motivated and well driven and he seems compremising on alot issues.   

That's exactly what I fear.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 12:42:43 AM »

Why do you fear?

Also who would you rather sit in the Oval Office Mitt Romney or Hillary Rodham Clinton?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 11:35:07 AM »

Why do you fear?

Also who would you rather sit in the Oval Office Mitt Romney or Hillary Rodham Clinton?

I fear that McCain or Romney would just compromise his comservatism while in office just to get reelected. Clinton, on the other hand, would have to compromise her liberalism to get reelected. A President Clinton would probably be more conservative than a President Romney. However (and I say this as a straight man), Romney is easier to look at.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 12:18:29 PM »

Why do you fear?

I fear that McCain or Romney would just compromise his comservatism while in office just to get reelected. Clinton, on the other hand, would have to compromise her liberalism to get reelected. A President Clinton would probably be more conservative than a President Romney. However (and I say this as a straight man), Romney is easier to look at.

Romney sure didn't compromise anything while Governor of Massachusetts, that's for sure.

But, of course, that was because he had no interest in being Governor of Massachusetts, and was just using it as a stepping stone.  Sigh.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 03:39:46 PM »

Why do you fear?

Romney sure didn't compromise anything while Governor of Massachusetts, that's for sure.

But, of course, that was because he had no interest in being Governor of Massachusetts, and was just using it as a stepping stone.  Sigh.

Mr.Moderate,You used to work for him didn't you?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies