Trump jail
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:27:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump jail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump jail  (Read 759 times)
jman123
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2024, 01:23:18 PM »

Being that Trump is a former president with Secret Service protection, how would a hypothetical Trump contempt of court jail sentence by an exasperated Judge Merchan due to some action by Trump at trial look like? Secret service in jail too?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 02:01:50 PM »

I’d imagine that they’d either corner off an entire wing to him or have the secret service “employed” at the jail.

He’d likely be put in a minimum security prison with other nonviolent offenders, so protection wouldn’t be that big of a problem.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 02:05:28 PM »

In case of one or multiple conviction(s), I think it's much more likely that he'll end up in house arrest than actual prison. Not just because of security issues, they probably don't want to throw a nearly 80 year old guy in jail. Especially since he himself isn't a direct physical threat to society (like a murderer or convicted serial rapist).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 02:07:59 PM »

Just stick him in solitary confinement; this isn’t nearly as complicated as people like to pretend.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 02:13:21 PM »

Just stick him in solitary confinement; this isn’t nearly as complicated as people like to pretend.

Do you want the unholy lovechild of Jan 6th and the storming of the Bastille to happen? Normally I wouldn't want a judge to be influenced by rabble-rousers threatening violence in the wake of a decision, but you have to consider whether an action has any benefit for society which this does not. House arrest (which I hope to God means taking away his phone) is more than sufficient.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 02:21:55 PM »

Do you want the unholy lovechild of Jan 6th and the storming of the Bastille to happen? Normally I wouldn't want a judge to be influenced by rabble-rousers threatening violence in the wake of a decision, but you have to consider whether an action has any benefit for society which this does not. House arrest (which I hope to God means taking away his phone) is more than sufficient.

It obviously has enormous benefit to society.  No one is above the law including former Presidents.  No outcome could be nearly as bad for America as not incarcerating him simply due to fears of mob violence would be.  Plenty of countries have sent former Presidents behind bars.  Ehud Olmert springs to mind.  To put him under house arrest in a feeble attempt to appease a possible violent, lawless mob would be to abandon the rule of law and I can think of few things more damaging to America or any other democracy than that.

Trump is not special and should not be treated like he is, no matter how many morally bankrupt nutjobs wish he was above the law. 
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 04:25:20 PM »

It obviously has enormous benefit to society.  No one is above the law including former Presidents.  No outcome could be nearly as bad for America as not incarcerating him simply due to fears of mob violence would be.  Plenty of countries have sent former Presidents behind bars.  Ehud Olmert springs to mind.  To put him under house arrest in a feeble attempt to appease a possible violent, lawless mob would be to abandon the rule of law and I can think of few things more damaging to America or any other democracy than that.

Trump is not special and should not be treated like he is, no matter how many morally bankrupt nutjobs wish he was above the law. 

This is not a matter of putting Trump above the law, which he should not be. It's a matter of making the punishment fit the crime, where putting him in solitary purely to avoid the logistics of secret service protection would not do so.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 04:31:36 PM »

I’d imagine that they’d either corner off an entire wing to him or have the secret service “employed” at the jail.

He’d likely be put in a minimum security prison with other nonviolent offenders, so protection wouldn’t be that big of a problem.

People who act like the logistics of Trump going to jail are some kind of impossibly hard issue to figure out likely have ulterior motives at play.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 05:59:19 PM »

He doesn’t need protection. The Aryan Brotherhood will handle that themselves.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 06:12:07 PM »

Who cares, all we know if he doesn't become Prez he will likely be convicted
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 07:52:33 PM »

House Arrest at Mar-A-Lago would be the only plausibale option.

(i) Ankle bracelet so he couldn't leave the facility;
(ii) Restricted golf course access on Sundays;
(iii) Rebanned on Twitter;
(iv) Apprehended Violence Order barring him from phoning or texting Nancy Pelosi;
(v) Not allowed to say the word China for 4 years;

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 08:20:22 PM »

8th Amendment.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 08:26:04 PM »

House Arrest at Mar-A-Lago would be the only plausibale option.

(i) Ankle bracelet so he couldn't leave the facility;
(ii) Restricted golf course access on Sundays;
(iii) Rebanned on Twitter;
(iv) Apprehended Violence Order barring him from phoning or texting Nancy Pelosi;
(v) Not allowed to say the word China for 4 years;

Ok you actually made me laugh! 😂
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 08:29:27 PM »

Senior citizens shouldn't be put in Solitary Confinement, for health reasons.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 08:32:30 PM »

Trump is going to be on ankle bracket but he is not going to jail his conviction is gonna be Appealed to SCOTUS and Trump will likely be out on bond because of Gorsuch, Alito and Thomas, there that answers this question
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 11:40:33 PM »

It'd probably have to be house arrest.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2024, 12:25:21 AM »

Probably a former military base.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2024, 12:53:18 AM »

Trump Convicted sentence unlikely will be overturned by Kavanaugh and ACB but it can be stalled by Gorsuch and Alito and Thomas anyways it will be appealed
Yoda
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 02:41:03 AM »

Just occurred to me that if trump went to jail and didn't have access to his makeup and hair products that we'd get to see what he actually looks like when he got released and I bet it would be more atrocious than anyone is imagining.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 06:53:19 AM »

Just strip him of his Secret Service protection. No reason this country should waste so much tax money on the protection of its number one enemy
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 07:23:26 AM »

Senior citizens shouldn't be put in Solitary Confinement, for health reasons.

Okay then, put him in the protective custody unit of a prison for primarily non-violent offenders.  This isn’t nearly as complicated as some folks are trying to make it sound.  Plenty of prisons have blocs for prisoners who wouldn’t be safe in GenPop.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 09:41:32 AM »

If you think Trump is going to prison right away after he is convicted is unrealistic he has been out on Bond. He will appeal it to SCOTUS and Gorsuch, Thomas and Alito will allow Trump to stay out of prison if he loses as I said already
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 01:05:08 PM »

Honestly the smartest thing would simply be to put him in house arrest with his secret service protection and a nursing staff.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2024, 03:34:37 PM »

He should be sentenced to house arrest, but confined only to the Mar-a-Lago bathroom where he kept all the classified docs.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 03:42:10 PM »

12 jurors + 1 alternate have been selected (includes replacing the 2 previously seated jurors that were dismissed). The main thread is locked for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies