Walmart store in Missouri removes self-checkout kiosks, replacing with 'traditional' lanes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:58:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Walmart store in Missouri removes self-checkout kiosks, replacing with 'traditional' lanes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Walmart store in Missouri removes self-checkout kiosks, replacing with 'traditional' lanes  (Read 810 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2024, 09:24:13 PM »

https://www.barnstablepatriot.com/story/money/shopping/2024/04/17/walmart-store-missouri-removes-self-check-out-lanes/73354326007/

A rare Walmart win for the working class.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 09:46:28 PM »

Alot of people are ordering online anyways
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 09:52:42 PM »

I get both sides, and I just don't care.  I'm one of those people who aren't intimidated by them, I'm very deliberate with my actions and I'm not a thief so I don't have a guilt complex with them and most important, if I can buy my sh**t without talking to anybody, I'm cool with that thankyouverymuch.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 10:27:52 PM »

I always prefer the kiosk options everywhere. I don't want to talk about my day with a stranger, wait in a longer line, and be pressured for tips. Karen's and boomers are afraid of the future so they end up dragging us into their old fashioned ways.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 10:41:44 PM »

Choice is good.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 10:49:24 PM »

How is this a good thing?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 11:20:18 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2024, 02:26:16 AM by DaleCooper »

I always prefer the kiosk options everywhere. I don't want to talk about my day with a stranger, wait in a longer line, and be pressured for tips. Karen's and boomers are afraid of the future so they end up dragging us into their old fashioned ways.

This has nothing to do with Karens or boomers. It's 100% about shoplifting. Any other justification is just corporate PR.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 11:39:46 PM »

Not sure any cashier is asking for tips in a Walmart, but whatever. People still get paid to be the attendants for self-checkout so it's not like jobs are necessarily eliminated. Even in stores that still have only cashier checkout most of the time there are only two or three checkers at a time out of maybe five, six or seven lanes. Stores like to put more labor into merchandising, pricing, etc. and move staff to those duties.

All that said this probably is about shrinkage because people do use the barcodes of cheap items to buy expensive items.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 10:45:12 AM »

Not sure any cashier is asking for tips in a Walmart, but whatever. People still get paid to be the attendants for self-checkout so it's not like jobs are necessarily eliminated. Even in stores that still have only cashier checkout most of the time there are only two or three checkers at a time out of maybe five, six or seven lanes. Stores like to put more labor into merchandising, pricing, etc. and move staff to those duties.

All that said this probably is about shrinkage because people do use the barcodes of cheap items to buy expensive items.
The argument about cashier jobs being eliminated never made sense to me because however much the store is saving by laying off cashiers, they're undoubtedly losing much more to shoplifting. It's weird how a lot of stores in urban areas will now have so many items behind a barrier that a store associate has to unlock for you, yet they'll also have self-checkout.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 11:51:58 AM »

The Targét near me has started to close down the self-serve kiosks past like 5-6 PM which absolutely sucks. I prefer to bag my own groceries since I can double-bag things and organize them how I'll take them out and put them away.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2024, 12:28:59 PM »

Good (anti-anomie).
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 06:09:59 PM »

It provides employment for the local community.

Walmart and grocery stores are some of the biggest employers in the country.

Even if it's just a temporary job for a teenager, the customer service experience is a positive.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2024, 11:25:24 AM »

A win against the thugs
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2024, 07:53:04 PM »

Even if it's just a temporary job for a teenager, the customer service experience is a positive.

If the posters in this thread are at all representative of the average American shopper, then it's quite the opposite, actually:

The Targét near me has started to close down the self-serve kiosks past like 5-6 PM which absolutely sucks. I prefer to bag my own groceries since I can double-bag things and organize them how I'll take them out and put them away.

At the very least, it's clearly something people have mixed opinions about. Enough people prefer self-checkout kiosks, so your claim is very subjective (and difficult to quantitatively verify).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2024, 08:07:52 PM »

I like to use self checkout but this sweet lady always comes and asks if I'd like her to scan my sodas (zero sugar) which does make it a little easier. They've got like a remote scanner thing that communicates with the checkout.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2024, 08:59:00 PM »

I actually really prefer self-checkout and only go to a cashier line if I have wine for my husband.

Just to toot my own horn, I'm actually really efficient at self-checking out and get it done a lot quicker than the cashier would most of the time. 

Also the cashiers always want to give me too many bags.  Once I remember I bought a box of cereal, two small drinks, two apples, and a bottle of wine, and the cashier ended up giving me three different bags somehow.   That just annoys me.  I could've packed that all in one bag easy.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2024, 11:52:04 PM »

Same thing just happened in Brisbane.

How bizarre.

https://7news.com.au/news/brisbane-iga-closes-self-service-opting-instead-for-return-to-face-to-face-employee-checkouts-c-14354643
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2024, 11:55:17 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2024, 03:40:07 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

If the posters in this thread are at all representative of the average American shopper, then it's quite the opposite, actually:

I understand your point.

Negotiating in a work environment with unreasonable people is a necessary skillset for your future employers.

The earlier you understand the limitations and compulsions of human nature in a retail environment, the more successful you will become in business.

I wish I worked at McDonalds when I was 16 to get these skills.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2024, 12:46:33 AM »

I understand your point.

Negotiating in a work environment with unreasonable people is a necessary skill set for your future employers.

The earlier you understand the limitations and compulsions of human nature in a retail environment, the more successful you will become in business.

I'm sorry, but what?

You didn't even respond to said point, so I highly doubt you 'understood' it. This reads like gibberish.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2024, 06:49:21 AM »

I understand your point.

Negotiating in a work environment with unreasonable people is a necessary skillset for your future employers.

The way it works in the US is you get screamed at for something that is out of your control, the entitled one gets the manager and they usually just give in. You don’t “negotiate” anything. We need to redo how it works and universally tell customers “no” in most cases since they’re usually in the wrong.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2024, 12:01:24 PM »

People who expect to go out into public and not have to interact with anybody are weird and create a sick society, so we have to force it upon them.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2024, 12:01:50 PM »

at Walmart?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2024, 12:06:28 PM »

Interesting. When I was in New York last October, I was somewhat confused with self-checkout at an organic foodstore, because all the backery products don't have barcodes. An employee then showed me how it worked. In most of Europe, it's still extremely uncommon. Ironically, our local Edeka store has a self-checkout, but they're never open for usage.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2024, 12:12:40 PM »

People who expect to go out into public and not have to interact with anybody are weird and create a sick society, so we have to force it upon them.
Guess we should also get rid of ATMs and force people to pay for gas at the register
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2024, 12:19:06 PM »

Self checkout is usually faster since you’re motivated to get it done and get on with your day vs a minimum wage employee who isn’t paid enough to care.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies