Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:55:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Author Topic: Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus  (Read 7006 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2024, 08:36:20 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/21/us/columbia-university-jewish-students-protests/index.html

This is because of an extremely hostile antisemitic environment. Pure evil. Thankfully, Biden, Hochul and Adams have all called it out without equivocating.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 08:38:10 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2024, 08:47:11 PM by Horus »

A lot of people disagree with the rabbi and say Columbia is not dangerous for Jewish students.

Also this guy hits the nail on the head. A lot of the "antisemitic" protesters are Jewish and this is, as usual, being ignored.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 08:57:58 PM »

Anti-semitism is absolutely unacceptable and there should be zero tolerance for it, anywhere. But there are precious few examples given in this rather long article. In any case, the pro-Palestine movement needs to carefully police itself here while not giving up protest, and also realize that pro-Israel factions may try to weaponize accusations against them.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 09:04:12 PM »

This is going to need to be shut down by force eventually, and when it is, that's when the biggest immediate threat to the Jewish students will come. They absolutely need to be off-campus by then, assuming they're safely allowed to leave - the mob controls the gates.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 09:09:01 PM »

Anti-semitism is absolutely unacceptable and there should be zero tolerance for it, anywhere. But there are precious few examples given in this rather long article. In any case, the pro-Palestine movement needs to carefully police itself here while not giving up protest, and also realize that pro-Israel factions may try to weaponize accusations against them.

Agreed, but no matter how much pro Palestine folks tone police themselves and no matter how PC the rhetoric, people like Ray will still claim another pogrom is imminent
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 09:10:22 PM »

Those tweets are specifying “on campus” because the extremist behavior is worst among the non-students rallying on the sidewalk right next to campus and, well, we’ve seen how anti-Israel protests among the general public can get. I wouldn’t want to have to run the gauntlet of Hamas fanboys at the gates of the university.

Horus, did you read the series of tweets in the first one you quoted, not just the first tweet? They didn’t say Columbia wasn’t unsafe, they made this point that Columbia students aren’t the ones making other Columbia students feel threatened.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 09:14:45 PM »

If this student is here on a visa, it should be revoked immediately. Coming from abroad to study here is a privilege and not a right

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 09:22:04 PM »

What % of these protestors are here on a visa, and what % are citizens? It seems a bit strange to just assume they're non-citizens, but I guess it's such an alien concept to be that I just don't really know the answer.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 09:22:13 PM »

There are people calling for the destruction of Israel and the deaths of Jews.

The fact that some of these kids happen to be Jewish themselves isn't a shield, no matter how much Horus tries to turn it into one in literally every single thread on this subject.

What it is is an absolute disgrace.

It shows how powerful the anti-Israel propaganda movement has become that even Jewish kids can get snookered into chanting "Death to Israel" or "From the river to the sea" or "Go back to Poland, Jew!" or "Intifada, intifada, glory to the faithful martyrs!" or whatever.

Frankly I think just in general there's a strain of self-flagellation in the left-leaning half of American society, especially among privileged college kids, where people feel the need to reject and denounce their own race and upbringing and "privilege", and compete with each other on this front.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 09:24:16 PM »

What % of these protestors are here on a visa, and what % are citizens? It seems a bit strange to just assume they're non-citizens, but I guess it's such an alien concept to be that I just don't really know the answer.

https://opir.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/content/Statistical%20Abstract/opir_enrollment_ethnicity.pdf

20% of Colombia students are "NRAs" -- Non-Resident Aliens. Including other aliens who had resided in the US before college, it's probably significantly higher -- illegals, diplomats kids, people with parents temporarily working here, the kids of H1Bers without citizenship yet.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 09:24:32 PM »

Anti-semitism at Columbia is a reality, but I think that people relate some events in NYC with it, ampifying the image of 'anitsemitic ground 0' it has with some zionists.

The radical aeathetics of anti-zionist protestors don't help much.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 09:26:11 PM »

https://opir.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/content/Statistical%20Abstract/opir_enrollment_ethnicity.pdf

20% of Colombia students are "NRAs" -- Non-Resident Aliens. Including other aliens who had resided in the US before college, it's probably significantly higher -- illegals, diplomats kids, people with parents temporarily working here, the kids of H1Bers without citizenship yet.

Actually, it's 40% including grad schools -- the 20% is just undergrads.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2024, 09:31:52 PM »

Actually, it's 40% including grad schools -- the 20% is just undergrads.

A lot of foreign grad students are rich families, and it’s easier to get into grad programs.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2024, 09:32:28 PM »

Not all antizionists are antisemitic,
but do you think that the Globalize the Intifade crowd, who are the ones to lead these protest, will do try to self control itself?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2024, 09:32:54 PM »

I don't think that really answers my question though. I'm looking for these specific protestors, not just students in general.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2024, 09:36:12 PM »

I don't think that really answers my question though. I'm looking for these specific protestors, not just students in general.

It provides what should be your null estimate. I would then expect something above that given that there seems to be a pretty large Muslim proportion among these students, and that there are still relatively few Muslim Americans.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2024, 09:36:34 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2024, 10:21:26 PM by Make Canada Boring Again »

Why are there so many anti-Zionist ideologues that threaten Jews at universities, particularly Columbia?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2024, 09:50:53 PM »

Why are there so many anti-Zionist ideologues that threaten Jews at American universities, particularly Columbia?

College students are young and impressionable and extremely vulnerable to having their ideologies and personalities shaped by peer pressure and whatever they're seeing on social media.

College professors have always had some extremely far left-wing loons represented in their cohort, especially in the liberal arts.  And it's gotten worse now that DEI has led to a lot of far-left ideologues being explicitly hired because of their viewpoints.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2024, 10:20:10 PM »

Last year, protesting against Iran.

Syrian Lava Baker holds a headscarf and a placard during a protest. Protests have erupted across Iran in recent days after Amini, a 22-year-old woman, died while being held by the morality police for violating the country’s strictly enforced Islamic dress code. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

This year, most likely protesting for Iran.

Tells you everything you need to know.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2024, 10:24:32 PM »

Why are there so many anti-Zionist ideologues that threaten Jews at American universities, particularly Columbia?

College students are young and impressionable and extremely vulnerable to having their ideologies and personalities shaped by peer pressure and whatever they're seeing on social media.

College professors have always had some extremely far left-wing loons represented in their cohort, especially in the liberal arts.  And it's gotten worse now that DEI has led to a lot of far-left ideologues being explicitly hired because of their viewpoints.

Tbh, the whole Israel-Palestine issue gets far too much toxic attention in the West compared to how important a conflict it actually is and compared to much more pressing issues, probably to the point that it makes the actual conflict harder to solve. Of course issues like DEI and far-left university professors don't make it much better.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2024, 10:36:03 PM »

I was confused by the article. Even when I look at Fox News and the New York Post, which are doing everything that they can to make the demonstrations look threatening, all that they can do is show footage of the encampment and a handful of clips where people yell at each other.

The protests have been going for days and yet there's no indication of even isolated violence or serious intimidation. The worst that I've been able to find is over-the-top sloganeering.

Mainstream news organizations are making it clearer that the complaints are coming from students who feel threatened by the mere presence of these protests. I don't understand why that's something that a university is supposed to accommodate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2024, 10:36:38 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2024, 10:41:03 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I hate this...

As usual, I'm very conflicted. I can't blame any Jews for feeling unsafe or uncomfortable, but I also don't think that all pro-Palestine protests are represented by their worst, least helpful elements who may be spouting borderline pro-Hamas drivel. It's also their right to speech, but simultaneously Jewish students shouldn't be judged for being wary and taking precautions by staying home. That goes for enhanced security at both mosques and synagogues, we thankfully don't see the violence that is sometimes anticipated, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

The death of nuance in this country is a real travesty, because I feel like I'm yelling into the void about how both Israel and Palestine as concepts, and their civilian populations, shouldn't be castigated because of the extremism in their governments.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2024, 10:38:28 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2024, 06:21:51 AM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Last year, protesting against Iran.

Syrian Lava Baker holds a headscarf and a placard during a protest. Protests have erupted across Iran in recent days after Amini, a 22-year-old woman, died while being held by the morality police for violating the country’s strictly enforced Islamic dress code. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

This year, most likely protesting for Iran.

Tells you everything you need to know.

Protesting for Iran in what sense, that it shouldn’t be attacked by Israel? I think that’d kill quite a few Iranian women, if that’s what the overarching concern here.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2024, 10:39:20 PM »

I was confused by the article. Even when I look at Fox News and the New York Post, which are doing everything that they can to make the demonstrations look threatening, all that they can do is show footage of the encampment and a handful of clips where people yell at each other.

The protests have been going for days and yet there's no indication of even isolated violence or serious intimidation. The worst that I've been able to find is over-the-top sloganeering.

Mainstream news organizations are making it clearer that the complaints are coming from students who feel threatened by the mere presence of these protests. I don't understand why that's something that a university is supposed to accommodate.

It feels like the whole campus political correctness debates are suddenly turned on their head. At least that part is kind of funny.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2024, 10:51:41 PM »

He's completely right. Take a look at this picture:

Looks like Gaza, right? Well, in some ways it is- the weapons used to do this were sold by the United States of America to a wealthy middle eastern power. But no, it's actually Yemen several years ago.

Where were the riots? Where was the increase in anti-Saudi American sentiment? Where were the mass protests on college campuses?

Where were these students back then?

I fully expect to be crucified for this take, but I've never gotten a good response for this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies