Does Corzine deserve to get re-elected?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:57:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Does Corzine deserve to get re-elected?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: It's your choose.
Yes

No (Normal)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Does Corzine deserve to get re-elected?  (Read 10730 times)
senator
Walter Evans Edge
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2007, 10:50:16 PM »

This is not a "WILL HE" but at "SHOULD HE".

Let's see --

- Oversaw a shutdown of the state government.
- Wants to sell state highways but doesn't want to talk about it until after the election.
- Has spent one in five days outside of New Jersey -- made a big deal about the first ever special session on property tax reform but than spent most of it in Iraq.
- Questionable ethics regarding his former lover, who is head of the largest state union and the several MILLION he has gave to her since  AFTER they broke up.
- Proposes a budget with no tax increase, but a two BILLION dollar spending decrease... that's a great idea.

This guy is a joke. He promised everything, yet has done nothing.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:25:56 AM »

I'm not too fond of him
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:42:21 AM »

The state is in much better financial shape than it was when he took over, probably the best financial shape its been in over a decade.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:06:26 AM »

The state is in much better financial shape than it was when he took over, probably the best financial shape its been in over a decade.

And on what basis do you make this claim? It can't be the sham budget that he proposed this year.

Sham budget??  He drastically cut the deficit without raising taxes by cutting wasteful spending.  Silly me for thinking thats the type of fiscal responsibility Republicans believed in.....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 01:08:41 AM »

And on what basis do you make this claim? It can't be the sham budget that he proposed this year.

Sham budget??  He drastically cut the deficit without raising taxes by cutting wasteful spending.  Silly me for thinking thats the type of fiscal responsibility Republicans believed in.....

Uh, did you read the first post? Corzine is proposing a two billion dollar spending increase.

Stop being the stupid hack that you are for once.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 01:13:42 AM »

Uh, did you read the first post? Corzine is proposing a two billion dollar spending increase.

- Proposes a budget with no tax increase, but a two BILLION dollar spending decrease... that's a great idea.

Before calling me a hack for not reading the first post maybe you should read what Assad actually posted
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 01:16:43 AM »

Before calling me a hack for not reading the first post maybe you should read what Assad actually posted

So he gets points off for mixing up "increase" and "decrease." You're still a hack for pulling points out of the sky like "no tax hikes" and "cuts in wasteful spending" without stating the whole situation.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 01:24:14 AM »

So he gets points off for mixing up "increase" and "decrease." You're still a hack for pulling points out of the sky like "no tax hikes" and "cuts in wasteful spending" without stating the whole situation.

Hey I just based it off Assad's own post.  Anyway it doesn't change the fact he inherited a deficit and now the state is operating under a surplus.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2007, 03:05:43 AM by Conan »

That 2 billion dollar spending increase is the tax cut. durrrr

As for my position. He deserves to be reelected if:

1) Restructure state finances to ensure real property tax relief, not election year gimmicks.
2)There are ethics reforms, specifically toward the legislature.

Now, it seems this years budget included tax cut election year gimmicks. This is mostly the legislatures fault but the Gov must learn to effectively get what he wants from the legislature.
A lot of what he needs to accomplish is escaping me as of right now too. I have written about it here in the past, I will try to dig it up.

Here are some of his accomplishments:

Civil Unions, expect gay marriage within a year.
First budget in 6 years with no new taxes, tax increase
$2,300,000,000  in tax relief
20% reduction in property taxes in new budget
Ban on dual office holding
Strongest global warming bill in the country
Government transparency, "christmas tree" gifts (earmarks) available to view online
Stem Cell research referendum
Significant tax cut for low income families, described as "a double tax cut"

And that's just this year.

Government asset consolidation, sold off cars, froze hiring and purchasing of furniture and offices.
Reduced political appointees by half
Spending cuts like higher ed which caused some outrage
Budget surplus
a reduction of 1,300 non political employees
drops in unemployment
increases in personal incomes
increase in payroll employment
steady gross state product growth

Now let's look at your complaints

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The legislature was out of control and still is. Needed to close the budget hole.
Interesting seeing how this is usually what conservative republicans try to do. Something tells me if he were a republican, you'd support it. It's one of many ideas to help state finances. Ultimately it won't happen.

NJ is a small state and many New Jerseyans go to work everyday outside of the state. I'm having trouble accessing that NYtimes article, but I don't think it was one in five. Anyway, that hasn't stopped him from doing his job. Most of those trips were to NYC (girlfriend) or the Hamptons.
Both you and I know there is no real issue here. He had a personal relationship where marriage was even talked about. When Corzine negotiated the labor contracts, Katz opposed them. Besides it would only be the other way around where there would be ethics questions. If a union leader gave the governor a few mill, then there'd be questions. What do you think he gave her money to get her unions to sign on to his contracts? It's not like he bought their endorsment, he'd get it over the republican anyway.
Also happens to be balanced if I recall correctly.

Now the governor still has a lot to do. We will see if he keeps his major promise of real tax reform. I will have to see who the other candidate will be to say if he deserves to be reelected. If it's Chris Christie, then yes, Corzine has my endorsment already but that doesnt merit whether or not he deserves it. He's only 2 years into his governorship and will be governor till 2010, at least.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 02:03:27 AM »

I supported Forrester in 2005, but I must say I've been pleasantly surprised by the actions of Corzine.

Sure, he's made a number of mistakes, but he's one of the only New Jersey Democrats operating outside of the machine, and he's not afraid to make unpopular decisions (i.e., 7% sales tax) for the good of the state.

Last year's budget was a disaster.  Something HAD to be done, and Assembly Democrats were just going to push a weak-kneed Whitman/McGreevey style budget flub to shift the actual work off to a future administration, or just plain hope it fixed itself.

It wasn't going to fix itself.  There was a genuine budget hole that the state was not going to grow out of.  And he did the right thing: not only did he raise revenue, but he cut expenses across the board.

And though it caused some pain for the state in the short term, his political manuevering to get the Assembly to blink was brilliant.

Like I said, he's definitely made some mistakes: Carla Katz and the whole "monetization" deal (which I personally feel is a bad idea).  But if you think you're going to find a Democrat you like more than Corzine, you're nuts.  He's a bright, intelligent, fiscal whiz, and exactly what New Jersey needs right now.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 02:38:14 AM »

What?

Oh, and Smash, New Jersey does NOT have a surplus. None. I don't know where you got that from. A recent AP article even went as far as to highlight the record surpluses of a record 48 states -- the only other state to not have a surplus is Louisana... and they have an excuse.

Tried to look it up, but its in the archives so you have to pay for it.  the NY Times had an article a couple weeks ago about the financial situation of each & every state, in 2006 NJ posted a surplus of $1.9 million
○∙◄☻Ątπ[╪AV┼cVę└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 02:52:08 AM »

What?

Oh, and Smash, New Jersey does NOT have a surplus. None. I don't know where you got that from. A recent AP article even went as far as to highlight the record surpluses of a record 48 states -- the only other state to not have a surplus is Louisana... and they have an excuse.

Tried to look it up, but its in the archives so you have to pay for it.  the NY Times had an article a couple weeks ago about the financial situation of each & every state, in 2006 NJ posted a surplus of $1.9 million

You might be able to get a free account there. I have one.
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 03:19:35 AM »

What?

Maybe you should try reading the state budget.

What? Yea, the state budget.

"Overall spending is up 7.2 percent from
last year – or $2.2 billion. However, setting aside the
growth in property tax relief and the increases in
school and municipal aid, spending is up a mere 2
percent, year over year. Let me repeat – less than two
percent."
So non-aid spending is up 2 percent, or $600 million.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/11/us/11legislature.html?hp
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 03:27:12 AM »

Given that he'll likely be up against a typical New Jersey Republican - yes, obviously. I can't decide whether he deserves to be primaried... although anyone who could actually beat him in a primary would probably also be worse.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 06:46:07 AM »

Government transparency, "christmas tree" gifts (earmarks) available to view online

The ones in bold are certainly not accomplishments by my standards.  Aside from, the dual office ban has not taken effect, my property taxes are going up 24%, so really he does nothing according to your list
Conan
conan

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »

The ones in bold are certainly not accomplishments by my standards.  Aside from, the dual office ban has not taken effect, my property taxes are going up 24%, so really he does nothing according to your list
The ones in bold also happen to be supported by the overwhelming majority of New Jerseyans except for gay marriage which is just a majority. Those are only for this year so far. Also the ban on dual office holding was just signed into law or will be before the 30th. As for your property taxes, I doubt they went up 24% and you should expect your tax cut soon.
Since 1996, my property taxes have gone up by 50%, which is ridiculous. So I doubt yours have gone up by 24% in just one year.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 08:20:24 PM »

The ones in bold also happen to be supported by the overwhelming majority of New Jerseyans except for gay marriage which is just a majority. Those are only for this year so far. Also the ban on dual office holding was just signed into law or will be before the 30th. As for your property taxes, I doubt they went up 24% and you should expect your tax cut soon.
Since 1996, my property taxes have gone up by 50%, which is ridiculous. So I doubt yours have gone up by 24% in just one year.

I strongly advise you ask someone you know that lives in this area, because my taxes are going up 24%, although I doubt there is an article about it online.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 08:24:38 PM »

I strongly advise you ask someone you know that lives in this area, because my taxes are going up 24%, although I doubt there is an article about it online.

Thats about as likely to be true as you being a libertarian. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 08:30:05 PM »

of course not.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 08:49:08 PM »

I don't think Corzine going to win reelection as you everyone knows both Virgina and New Jersey hold their Governor's elections in the same year, and as everyone knows both of those state elected Republican Governors with a Democratic Presidents and both of those states elected Democratic Governors with Republican Presidents, So there is a good chance with trends that Corzine will be given the boot.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 08:51:13 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2007, 08:58:22 PM by Verily »

I don't think Corzine going to win reelection as you everyone knows both Virgina and New Jersey hold their Governor's elections in the same year, and as everyone knows both of those state elected Republican Governors with a Democratic Presidents and both of those states elected Democratic Governors with Republican Presidents, So there is a good chance with trends that Corzine will be given the boot.

Because, you know, New Jersey voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004, and Virginia voted for Clinton in 1992 and 1996.

Corzine will coast to reelection. By New Jersey standards, he's wildly popular. (That, by the way, means having an approval rating over 50%.) I've even been won over to supporting him, and I was highly skeptical for a while. He's really not corrupt and has put some good reforms into place. It's unfortunate that he basically bought the election in 2005, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad governor.

There have been not increases in state (or federal) income tax, and the state is now offering a new property tax relief program. Sales tax was edged up, which I disagreed with, but only 1%. There is absolutely no way your taxes went up 24%; even if Rutherford raised taxes, local taxes are a pittance compared to overall taxes.
Conan
conan

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 09:29:37 PM »

Are they going up 24% or have they gone up 24%? Sounds like its only a local town issue. Besides, youre still going to get around $1000 off. So there, he is minimizing your 24% increase.

This is coming from a republican who supports Chris Dodd, Mike Bloomberg and Hillary Clinton. You are just utterly confused.

There is on real correlation between electing a dem pres and republican governor in NJ. That would just be a coincidence. I'd say the chance Corzine loses in 2009 is at 5-15% right now.

As for whether he deserves to be reelected, we will have to wait until late 2008 to know.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 11:53:54 PM »

Given that he'll likely be up against a typical New Jersey Republican - yes, obviously. I can't decide whether he deserves to be primaried... although anyone who could actually beat him in a primary would probably also be worse.

He'll be going up against Christopher Christie, it looks like, and he doesn't exactly qualify as a typical New Jersey Republican.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 12:31:50 AM »

I like the guy.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 02:51:03 AM »

Because, you know, New Jersey voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004, and Virginia voted for Clinton in 1992 and 1996.

Corzine will coast to reelection. By New Jersey standards, he's wildly popular. (That, by the way, means having an approval rating over 50%.) I've even been won over to supporting him, and I was highly skeptical for a while. He's really not corrupt and has put some good reforms into place. It's unfortunate that he basically bought the election in 2005, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad governor.

The answer is:  Why not? 

He probably will be reelected, especially if there is a Republican President at the time.  Remember that even Florio was almost reelected when he had a 17% approval rating.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies