UK Election 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:07:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 251195 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: May 02, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »
« edited: May 02, 2010, 06:17:01 PM by Kucinichisdabest »

And while we're on the topic of Facebook pages....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-HATE-IMMAGRANTS/232781928059?ref=sgm

Murphy's Law is in action again, it seems.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1601 on: May 02, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »

Are relations between him and the Brothers better now? (I've not been following such things recently). Because if they aren't, he'd be wasting his time even standing.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1602 on: May 02, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/gallery/2010/may/01/general-election-2010-chris-ridell?picture=362108020

Good little visual of 'voting stereotypes' etc

Me this year

Me next May Tongue

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1603 on: May 02, 2010, 06:17:28 PM »

Um... not all of us look like professional darts players!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1604 on: May 02, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »

Bizarre
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1605 on: May 03, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »

Interesting leaflet here: http://www.thestraightchoice.org/leaflets/4897/
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1606 on: May 03, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »

My preferred outcome for this election is a Tory minority government rather than a majority one. Nothing is better than bad.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1607 on: May 03, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »

Fugly design.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1608 on: May 03, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BA2Jz7xIXw
Brilliant speech from Brown today! Except for the idiotic anti-Nuclear Power protester.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1609 on: May 03, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »

For some reason, the leaders always seem to appear more relaxed in the final days of an election campaign.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1610 on: May 03, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »

For some reason, the leaders always seem to appear more relaxed in the final days of an election campaign.

Gordon Brown generally does better at those types of events, were it's really more for the audience than the cameras. Look at some of his conference speechs for example.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1611 on: May 03, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »

Might have something to do with his background; he was once an academic and has father was... well we all know what his father was.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1612 on: May 03, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »

Might have something to do with his background; he was once an academic and has father was... well we all know what his father was.

He was once a reporter...why he's still no good with them I'll never know.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1613 on: May 03, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »

He was once a reporter...why he's still no good with them I'll never know.

Probably because he was once a reporter.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1614 on: May 03, 2010, 05:17:05 PM »

Odd choice of target, since I can't see Greens switching to Tory.  Obviously Tory internal polling (or opinion) is that the seat will be up for grabs between themselves and the Greens and they hope to get Labourites who decided to go green this year to go back to Labour or flirt with Gregg and the Lib Dems.  Might work, but I doubt it.  Might even backfire and cause Labourites to vote Green to make certain that the seat doesn't go Tory.

By the way, considering that back in the Southeast Region of Atlasia there was a vote a few years ago on an anti-necromancy initiative, I'm surprised no one here has commented on the fact that Soraya Anne Kara is standing in Brighton Pavillion for Citizens for Undead Rights and Equality.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #1615 on: May 03, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »

LOL, I got that one through my door the other day..

Has that been doing the rounds on teh interwebs then?

It's funny that it doesn't mention the Conservative party on it, although the tiny snipe at Labour makes it obvious its not them!

Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #1616 on: May 03, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »

Regarding the content itself, some of it is grossly misrepresented, though some of it is technically right. A lot of it is stuff I obviously don't have a problem with anyway, some of it is stuff I don't agree with (like the big alcohol and tobacco tax increases) but which doesn't really matter because they won't happen if one or two Green MPs get elected (although what might happen is that the main parties might hopefully become more 'green' themselves).

Also, come to think of it, at least higher alcohol taxes might've prevented this leaflet being made! Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1617 on: May 03, 2010, 06:33:36 PM »

It's funny that it doesn't mention the Conservative party on it, although the tiny snipe at Labour makes it obvious its not them!

The giveaway is the imprint. Which is always something you should check if you get a dodgy leaflet.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #1618 on: May 03, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »

Odd choice of target, since I can't see Greens switching to Tory.  Obviously Tory internal polling (or opinion) is that the seat will be up for grabs between themselves and the Greens and they hope to get Labourites who decided to go green this year to go back to Labour or flirt with Gregg and the Lib Dems.  Might work, but I doubt it.  Might even backfire and cause Labourites to vote Green to make certain that the seat doesn't go Tory.

I'd say the intention was the latter - otherwise they would've said to vote Conservative on the leaflet! I think its impact will be neutral, especially as a fair amount of junk mail in Brighton tends to look like that..
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #1619 on: May 03, 2010, 06:36:33 PM »

The giveaway is the imprint. Which is always something you should check if you get a dodgy leaflet.

Well, of course, I already knew that (I would, wouldn't I) Wink
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1620 on: May 03, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »

FT reports that Clegg won't be using electoral reform as a precondition to a coalition deal.

What a sell-out.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1621 on: May 03, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »

Something I'd been wondering, and could well just be wishful thinking on my part, so I'll post it here and you can shoot it down in flames...

Obviously none of us believe in Unicorns, the Tooth Fairy, nor Uniform National Swing. The question obviously therefore becomes - where are the LibDems doing best and whether there might be any areas where they are not doing as well as perhaps at the last election. I particularly wonder if perhaps in some of the gains they've made in previous elections against the Tories may be harder for them to defend. Those seats have a history of voting Tory, supported the LibDems when the Tories were on the nose, and may have begun returning to the Tories prior to the debates. With the boost the LibDems got, I think everyone's assumed those voters have solidified behind the party they've backed in the past couple of elections, but I'm wondering if perhaps some of them might prefer to not have a minority government and may return to the Tories despite the LibDem lift in the polls? In short, my question is: Are the LibDems still vulnerable in their marginal seats held against the Tories? What do you guys think?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1622 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:10 PM »

Something I'd been wondering, and could well just be wishful thinking on my part, so I'll post it here and you can shoot it down in flames...

Obviously none of us believe in Unicorns, the Tooth Fairy, nor Uniform National Swing. The question obviously therefore becomes - where are the LibDems doing best and whether there might be any areas where they are not doing as well as perhaps at the last election. I particularly wonder if perhaps in some of the gains they've made in previous elections against the Tories may be harder for them to defend. Those seats have a history of voting Tory, supported the LibDems when the Tories were on the nose, and may have begun returning to the Tories prior to the debates. With the boost the LibDems got, I think everyone's assumed those voters have solidified behind the party they've backed in the past couple of elections, but I'm wondering if perhaps some of them might prefer to not have a minority government and may return to the Tories despite the LibDem lift in the polls? In short, my question is: Are the LibDems still vulnerable in their marginal seats held against the Tories? What do you guys think?

A marginals poll out today was showing a 3% swing from Tory to Lib Dem in the Tory/LD marginals. So most of them should be pretty safe.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/2676
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1623 on: May 03, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »

A marginals poll out today was showing a 3% swing from Tory to Lib Dem in the Tory/LD marginals. So most of them should be pretty safe.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/2676

Cheers! That answers that!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1624 on: May 03, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2010, 08:26:29 PM by Verily »

Yup. There might be a few Tory gains from the LDs (Hereford and South Herefordshire being the most notable), but not more than two or three, and maybe none at all. Almost all of the LD-held seats should be safe.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies