West Virginia 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:51:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  West Virginia 2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: West Virginia 2000  (Read 6927 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2007, 01:50:37 AM »

I was wondering today, why did West Virginia, a traditional Democratic stonghold for many years voted for George W. Bush in 2000? Dosen't the Democrats control both Houses of the West Virginia Congress and the Governship?
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:40:56 AM »

A couple of things happened there. The NRA killed Gore in the state, and Clinton really hurt the coal mining industry.

Also, I remember Smash saying that WV is a populist state that was starting to vote on social issues.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:57:26 AM »

George W. Bush's campaign under Karl Rove targeted West Virginia from the beginning.  This was probably the first time the Republicans had made a concerted effort in West Virginia since 1988, and possibly long before then, because it had always been considered a traditionally and loyally Democratic state.  Gun control, mining and social issues as already mentioned also led to Bush's victory.  The Gore campaign didn't make a proper effort in the state right until the end.  It is a question I have always wondered about as well though - I still don't think the answer is quite satisfactory somehow. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 12:12:10 PM »

The Gore campaign didn't make a proper effort in the state right until the end.

Not true; they never made a proper effort there. Mind you, turned out that that was better than make a half-hearted effort before staging a big, arrogrant "F*** YOU!" pullout from the state, like a certain candidate did four years later.

I'm not bitter you understand. Not at all. Honest.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:13:33 PM »

Not true; they never made a proper effort there. Mind you, turned out that that was better than make a half-hearted effort before staging a big, arrogrant "F*** YOU!" pullout from the state, like a certain candidate did four years later.

Why the hell did Kerry pull out anyway? I had him winning WV up until a few weeks before the election.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:27:54 PM »

Because he was tanking.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 04:59:50 PM »

Why the hell did Kerry pull out anyway? I had him winning WV up until a few weeks before the election.

It was a long shot with only 5 Electoral Votes. Better to focus on Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Florida.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »

It was a long shot with only 5 Electoral Votes. Better to focus on Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Florida.

I'm just wondering why they allowed it to become a longshot.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 07:44:22 PM »

they didnt completely write off wv.

they were hoping advertising 'rim-shots' from the pittsburgh market and ohio markets would help them in wv, while saving them money.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:40:53 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2007, 12:50:50 AM by memphis »

I may as well ask you why you've let Maine, formerly a Republican stronghold, become a longshot. Both parties have obviously drifted over the years, changing the location of their bases. In WV, I would point to a decline in union jobs and the religious push from Republicans.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 02:44:22 AM »

I may as well ask you why you've let Maine, formerly a Republican stronghold, become a longshot. Both parties have obviously drifted over the years, changing the location of their bases. In WV, I would point to a decline in union jobs and the religious push from Republicans.

Except Kerry actually held the lead in WV for awhile in 2004 and Bush never led in Maine that year.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 07:46:17 AM »

Except Kerry actually held the lead in WV for awhile in 2004 and Bush never led in Maine that year.

republicans were hopeful up until october or so that theyd win one ev in maine.  there was some kind of gun question on the ballot that the republicans (wrongly) assumed would help bush in the rural parts of the state.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 08:47:31 AM »

they were hoping advertising 'rim-shots' from the pittsburgh market and ohio markets would help them in wv, while saving them money.
Wasn't Mrs. Kerry from Pittsburgh and didn't the Kerry's own a mountain home in Sun Valley?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 10:51:49 AM »

Gun control Clinton pushed hard on in the aftermath of Columbine and its stronghold among pro-life dems. It went along with MO going from Dem to republican along with the other boarder states.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »

republicans were hopeful up until october or so that theyd win one ev in maine.  there was some kind of gun question on the ballot that the republicans (wrongly) assumed would help bush in the rural parts of the state.

I know but no polls ever showed them winning that district or the state.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 12:04:04 AM »

I know but no polls ever showed them winning that district or the state.

I think there was one poll that had Kerry up by like 4 that had Bush up by 1 in that district.  In any case, there was one poll that split the EVs up, and it showed ME-2 much closer.

In the end, though, I put it as lean...so clearly the polling evidence wasn't very strong by the end.  I went nearly entirely by polls.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 01:10:08 AM »

There was an offhand chance that Bush might win an electoral vote in Maine, but it wasn't something he seriously pursued.

Kerry, meanwhile, did pursue West Virginia, and the harder he worked, the more it seemed he lost ground there.  He only pulled out when it became hopeless.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »

I was wondering today, why did West Virginia, a traditional Democratic stonghold for many years voted for George W. Bush in 2000?

Becuase it was rigged. The rogue counties in the suburbs and the eastern panhandle piled on a bunch of GOP votes at the end.

Kind of like what happened in Illinois in 1988.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

At the time, I think the governor was a Rethug, so that was part of the problem.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 07:17:53 AM »

At the time, I think the governor was a Rethug, so that was part of the problem.

He was just an amateur rigger compared to the Democrat governor four years later.  Haw haw.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »

Easly, the unions became less important the Pentacostal church and other cults became more important to West Virginians.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »

Easly, the unions became less important the Pentacostal church and other cults became more important to West Virginians.

The part of West Virginia in which Pentecostalism is strongest voted for Gore. Try again.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 01:23:06 PM »

The changes in West Virginia's population distribution over the last decades obviously have nothing whatsoever to do with it? -_-
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »

The part of West Virginia in which Pentecostalism is strongest voted for Gore. Try again.

That doesn't necessarily mean the Pentecostals voted for him, though.  It might be that the non-Pentecostals there vote Dem heavily because they are unusually poor, not atypical for a Pentecostal area.

(Not arguing with you about West Virginia here, of course...I take your word as sacrosanct on that.  Tongue)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 02:40:41 PM »

That doesn't necessarily mean the Pentecostals voted for him, though.

Oh, true, very true. But it's a pretty clear indication that Gore's defeat can't just be blamed on an increase in the numbers of Pentecostalists in West Virginia (for one thing it's not even clear if there was an increase in their numbers in WV between '90 and '00; a curious contrast with just about everywhere else in the U.S).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »

So, why does it continue to vote that way, then?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies