Because the Dems don't have enough opportunities in 2008...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:31:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Because the Dems don't have enough opportunities in 2008...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Because the Dems don't have enough opportunities in 2008...  (Read 4309 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:36:48 PM »

The Washington Times is reporting that Senator John Warner of Virginia is likely going to decide against running for re-election.

Enjoy the pickup.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:45:41 PM »

It's the Washington Times. Not known for being the most reliable news source. I'd wait for the Washington Post before bemoaning the seat.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:45:46 PM »

Then my registering nick-name would not be in vain Smiley Go ahead Mark Warner and get us Virginia next year ! Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 11:49:29 PM »

It's the Washington Times. Not known for being the most reliable news source. I'd wait for the Washington Post before bemoaning the seat.

There have been others signs of Warner deciding against another term. Like the whole raising only $500 in Q1.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 11:55:36 PM »

One of the major TV news channels had it scrolling at the bottom today that he likely wouldn't run. Glad for the great chance of a pick-up, but more importantly, kudos to Warner for his service, a very decnt man.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 11:57:02 PM »

One of the major TV news channels had it scrolling at the bottom today that he likely wouldn't run. Glad for the great chance of a pick-up, but more importantly, kudos to Warner for his service, a very decnt man.

Great chance? This seat is basically another Santorum vs. Casey for your party if Mark Warner runs.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:57:52 PM »

Maybe you could run Oliver North again.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:58:27 PM »

...and almost win?

I'm sorry, I didn't get your joke.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 12:01:37 AM »

Great chance? This seat is basically another Santorum vs. Casey for your party if Mark Warner runs.

Yeah, like Allen being a shoo in for reelection. I don't like to jinx it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:23:01 AM »

Phil, I think you're greatly exagerating the Dem position in Virginia. It should be a very competitive race, as VA is a closely divided state. Don't forget how tiny Webb's victory last year was. A rain shower over Fairfax County could have easily swung the election to Allen.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:25:57 AM »

I'd just like to see him get thrashed again. 2008 is not 1994, and the Virginia of 2008 is not the Virginia of 1994 either. Imagine a Warner vs. North race.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:44:17 AM »

While Senator Warner is unlikely to run again, so to is former Governor Warner unlikely to seek the U.S. Senate.  Most indications seem to be that he'll seek the Governorship again in 2009, which is a better fit for him anyway.

In that case, it's Tom Davis on the GOP side versus...who on the Dem side?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 12:58:11 AM »

Phil, I think you're greatly exagerating the Dem position in Virginia. It should be a very competitive race, as VA is a closely divided state. Don't forget how tiny Webb's victory last year was. A rain shower over Fairfax County could have easily swung the election to Allen.

Except Mark Warner is extremely popular in the state and well known.

I know Webb's margin of victory was tiny and how divided Virginia is but that race shouldn't have even been close. That's not the point though. Virginia could have easily re-elected Allen and I would still be calling for a Dem pickup with Mark Warner. The man is very popular and the GOP field is weak. Could you imagine Warner vs. Gilmore? Warner vs. Davis would probably be a joke, too, since Davis won't receive a warm reception from social conservatives.

I'd just like to see him get thrashed again. 2008 is not 1994, and the Virginia of 2008 is not the Virginia of 1994 either. Imagine a Warner vs. North race.

Again, why do you continue to make a joke out of yourself? I state that he almost won and you say you'd like to see him get "thrashed" again. You do realize that he only lost by about three points, right?

(Please note that I'm not saying that it would be a close race. I'm simply pointing out that he almost won in 1994; he most certainly wasn't "thrashed.")

While Senator Warner is unlikely to run again, so to is former Governor Warner unlikely to seek the U.S. Senate.  Most indications seem to be that he'll seek the Governorship again in 2009, which is a better fit for him anyway.

I think Schumer is going to do some major arm twisting in that race. Anyway, if Warner doesn't run, the Dems always have Kaine who would make the race very close.

Conan
conan

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 01:12:49 AM »

Davis isn't a freak however.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 02:37:01 AM »

Safe Jim Moran.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 03:49:11 AM »

Davis isn't a freak however.

Yes, Davis would just get dropped kicked while Gilmore gets totally demolished.  If Mark Warner runs the seat is about as safe of a pickup as the New York's Governor's seat last year.  I don't think Davis jumps in against Warner.  He gets crushed (though not as bad as Gilmore) and likely gives the Dems another house seat in the process.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 09:15:57 AM »

Great news.  Now let's all cross our fingers and hope Cochran follows Warner's lead.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 09:27:50 AM »

Mark Warner would be great, but I'd hope he waits till 2009 and goes back to the Governors office. He could do so much better there.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 09:40:42 AM »

Tim Kaine. I've been saying that for a while. Kaine wants to be in the Senate (or, at least, have a more permanent job than governor).

Kaine's approval rating is second only to Palin's, so he'd be as much of a shoo-in as Warner.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »

Both Kaine and Warner would be good candidates.  The GOP does have a bench, just not a candidate strong enough or capable of competing with Warner and possibly Kaine.  But Congressman Tom Davis and Randy Forbes could be candidates as well Gilmore. 

I also think that although he is old, John Warner is one of the best Republicans in the Senate or indeed the entire Party.  He is what ideally a Republican should be and has served the commonwealth? of Virginia very well over the years. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »

Again, why do you continue to make a joke out of yourself? I state that he almost won and you say you'd like to see him get "thrashed" again. You do realize that he only lost by about three points, right?

(Please note that I'm not saying that it would be a close race. I'm simply pointing out that he almost won in 1994; he most certainly wasn't "thrashed.")

Well now we can finally watch him get thrashed, since he most certainly would against Warner or Kaine.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »

Has George Allen said anything about a Senate run yet?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 11:50:36 AM »

Tim Kaine. I've been saying that for a while. Kaine wants to be in the Senate (or, at least, have a more permanent job than governor).

Kaine's approval rating is second only to Palin's, so he'd be as much of a shoo-in as Warner.

I didn't know 58% was the second-highest approval rating in the nation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 11:53:01 AM »

Has George Allen said anything about a Senate run yet?

Watching him lose again would be as fun as watching Oliver North lose again.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 11:55:36 AM »

It's no surprise to hear that John Warner likely won't run. I knew that back when we saw his Q1 fundraising numbers.

If neither Warner nor Kaine run, I'd give the Republicans a very slight advantage in this race.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies