Senate passes cloture motion on immigration bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:35:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate passes cloture motion on immigration bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate passes cloture motion on immigration bill  (Read 2149 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2007, 03:42:53 PM »

I think I've beaten Carl to the punch on making a thread about this.  Probably because he's in mourning and can't bring himself to rise from bed.  I know that's what I'd be doing if I didn't have to go to work.

Call your Senators and demand that they not vote for cloture on Thursday, which is the second roadblock to passing this ridiculous, unworkable bill that has no hope of resolving the problem.  Also, you might send them a copy of ResumeWizard because some of these people are going to be looking for new jobs soon (I'm looking at you, Senator Graham.  Good call on hitching your star to John McCain, by the way.).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »

I think Carlhayden is out picking strawberries with his fellow workers in the field right now, Ford.  We won't see him until later.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:58:24 PM »

I think I've beaten Carl to the punch on making a thread about this.  Probably because he's in mourning and can't bring himself to rise from bed.  I know that's what I'd be doing if I didn't have to go to work.

Call your Senators and demand that they not vote for cloture on Thursday, which is the second roadblock to passing this ridiculous, unworkable bill that has no hope of resolving the problem.  Also, you might send them a copy of ResumeWizard because some of these people are going to be looking for new jobs soon (I'm looking at you, Senator Graham.  Good call on hitching your star to John McCain, by the way.).

Actually, we're working to defeat certain members of the Senate.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:58:41 PM »

Fortunately for Carl, the House will most-likely not agree with anything coming out of the Senate, so nothing will happen for a while, if at all.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:58:50 PM »

Elitist Senators can't be bothered with the wishes of ordinary Americans.  Probably yuking it up at Georgetown cocktail party tonight laughing at all the peons who wasted their time calling their offices over the past week.

GOP rest in peace.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:02:02 PM »

Fortunately for Carl, the House will most-likely not agree with anything coming out of the Senate, so nothing will happen for a while, if at all.

This is probably the likely answer, though I still doubt it gets past cloture.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2007, 09:47:29 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

This is probably the likely answer, though I still doubt it gets past cloture.

I think there is a fifty/fifty chance the bill will never leave the Senate.

The odds are at least two to one the House will not pass the bill.

What is interesting the issue has forced Senators to choose between the will of the people and the will of the oligarchs.  Those choosing the oligarchs are likey in most cases to find their current term of office to be their last term.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:05:45 PM »

This bill is the death of America.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 05:07:46 PM »

This bill is the death of America.

We dont even know what the bill is going to say...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:51:26 PM »

Fortunately for Carl America, the House will most-likely not agree with anything coming out of the Senate, so nothing will happen for a while, if at all.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 02:00:46 AM »

I realize that a few facts will annoy those who want to believe what they want to believe. bit:

When the Senate initially voted for cloture (Roll Call Vote 173) on S. 1348 (Frankenstein), the vote was 69 for, 23 against.

When the Senate finally voted on cloture (Roll Call 206) on S. 1348 the vote was 45 for, 50 against.

When the Senate intially voted for cloture (Roll Call Vote 228) on S. 1639 (son of Frankenstein) the vote was 64 for, 35 against.

Now, in the old math, that tells me that there were five more votes for the original cloture vote, and twelve fewer votes against than there were in the new cloture vote.

Several Senators who voted for cloture on S. 1639 are on record as stating they only voted for cloture because they were promised a vote on their amendments and will vote against the bill if their amendments are rejected.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 09:24:59 AM »

As someone who paid for my two children's college education, I'm just thrilled to death about the "dream act" portion of the immigration bill.  You know, the part of the bill that directs my tax dollars to pay for college scholarships for children of illegals.

Insanity.  The bill bypassed the committee process and was hammered out in a back room.  Gee, wonder why they took that path.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 10:30:58 AM »

Based on what I've read, it looks as if the bill almost certainly will not get enough Republican support to pass the House.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 09:17:54 PM »

Can someone possibly explain what the Senate roll call votes today would have done?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 09:27:21 AM »

Suspect next cloture vote will not get more than 56 votes (could be less).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 10:15:40 AM »

Thank you Senator Tester.

----------

Immigration Measure in Doubt Over Senate Defections (Update1)

By James Rowley and Nicholas Johnston

June 27 (Bloomberg) -- The fate of U.S. immigration legislation was cast into doubt when at least six senators who helped revive the proposed overhaul said they either oppose or are leaning against a move to permit a vote on final passage.

The measure is in more jeopardy ``than I thought a few hours ago,'' said Senator Christopher Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat.

The supporters' strategy of disposing of amendments that threatened the legislation's bipartisan support hit a procedural snag late in the day, adding to the uncertainty. The Senate refused to set aside an amendment by Montana Democrats Max Baucus and Jon Tester that would dilute requirements employers verify the identity of new workers.

Under Senate rules, Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, now can't move to consider other provisions without getting the consent of all 100 senators.

``I think this hurts'' the measure, said Texas Republican John Cornyn, an opponent.

Earlier today, Senate sponsors had succeeded in killing a series of proposed changes that would undermine the measure's support. Nonetheless, senators who voted yesterday to resume consideration of the bill were withdrawing support.

Leaning Against

Republicans Richard Burr of North Carolina and Christopher Bond of Missouri and Democrat Ben Nelson of Nebraska said they oppose permitting a vote on final passage. Virginia Democrat Jim Webb and Republicans John Ensign of Nevada and Pete Domenici of New Mexico said they were leaning that way.

It takes 60 votes, or three-fifths of the Senate, to shut off debate. Yesterday, the Senate voted 64-35 to permit debate to resume.

Five other senators who voted to resume the debate said they are undecided on the next procedural test. They are Republicans Ted Stevens and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Judd Gregg of New Hampshire and Democrats Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico and Mark Pryor of Arkansas.

The legislation would create a path to citizenship for 12 million illegal immigrants, tighten the U.S. border with Mexico and create a guest-worker program to help employers fill low- paying jobs. The Senate had planned to complete action on the bill by the end of the week.

Angry Senators

Sponsors of the bill shut off efforts by critics to offer their own changes, angering some senators.

``We are in trench warfare and it's going to be rough,'' said Pennsylvania Republican Arlen Specter, a chief sponsor of the legislation. ``But we are going to see the will of the Senate work one way or another.''

The amendment that the Senate refused to table, by a 52-45 vote, would have deleted requirements that by 2013 employers insist upon an identification card that meets the specifications of the 2005 Real ID Act. That law gives states financial incentives to require a tamper-proof driver's license.

Baucus and Tester argued that, because more than a dozen states have opted out of the 2005 law, citizens of those states would be forced to obtain U.S. passports to get jobs.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2007, 11:46:44 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Today in Roll Call 235 the Senate voted 46 for cloture, 53 against!

Son of Frankenstein is dead.

Wonder if stupid Bush will get the message?

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 11:38:48 AM »

Yep, it's dead Jim.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 01:14:28 PM »

As is this country unless something is done very soon. The first step would be to ban non citizens from buying property within the US.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 05:21:36 PM »

We can assimilate the immigrants later. The key is to keep relatively open borders(ignore illegals sneaking in but if any arabs come in bust them) long enough for WASPS to be both a clear minority in both demographics and political representation. I'm no fan of the cultural characteristics caused by anglo-american protestantism(the whole prudery, the whole western sense of fair play/playing by westphalian rules(latins don't have the west's mercy), the whole hypocritical attituds towards substance uses). I can brush up on my spanish if it means that I don't have to deal with the religious right/christian coalition having ANY serious influence.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »

Well, it certainly didn't take long for Republicans to go from considering the fillabuster to be an unpardonable sin to considering it the salvation of the nation....
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies