$7.00 Minimum Wage???? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:03:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  $7.00 Minimum Wage???? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $7.00 Minimum Wage????  (Read 21688 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: August 01, 2004, 07:53:17 PM »

This will never happen because Frist and Hastert will never let it happen. However, the minimum wage does it lower every year due to inflation and cost-of-living increases. If anything it should be tied to inflation.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 08:10:29 PM »

Dear Lord, NO! The last thing we need is yet another government number tied to the bureaucracy that calculates inflation.  Indexing Benefits, taxes, penalties, etc. doesn't really make anything fairer, all it does is make things more complicated and provide jobs for bureaucrats and accountants.

Well, suppose that I take a job paying $10 an hour. Then, after one year, there is a big oil shock that causes the price of everything to triple, so that it takes $10 just to buy what cost me $3.33 before. Do I have the right to ask my boss for a raise? Dear Lord NO! The last thing my boss needs is more work for his accounting department, which plays no role in creating the product his company sells. A raise for me definitely wouldn't make anything fairer. All it does is force my job to hire more accountants, so that they can multiply my current wage by the inflation rate. That would take them years (extreme sarcasm).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 08:11:26 PM »

Why don't we go back to the Gold Standard...Yet another reason why I despise FDR.

Ummm.....FDR has nothing to do with why we went off the gold standard.   It's mainly DeGualle.

Nixon.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 08:21:34 PM »

That is a good article. It shows what FDR did and what Nixon did... the gradual shift of the US away from the gold standard, which, was artificially causing the dollar to be highly valued.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies