The National Weekly Atlasian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:42:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Weekly Atlasian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 69
Author Topic: The National Weekly Atlasian  (Read 171393 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »

Mr. Moderate, EarlAW claim victory; District 3 Headed to Runoff
by South Park Conservative

27 August 2007 - Well, the elections finally happened, and the results surprised many. EarlAW pulled an upset against Verily in District 1, and Mr. Moderate won District 2, as expected. Ebowed and BrandonH both won reelection in their respective districts, to the surprise of no one.
   Perhaps the most interesting senate election of this cycle was the Battle of the Former Presidents in District 3. Whie PBrunsel was thought to be favored to win reelection, as the results came in, it appeared as though Aflietch would win an upset. Due to a last-minute vote by Governor ilikeverin, the end result was a tie, that would be headed to a run-off next weekend.
   Whoever wins the run-off next weekend, this election signifies a significant leftward trend in Atlasia. As of this election, the current makeup of the senate is 5-5, with onservatives and liberals having equal control in the Senate. However, the results of the elections will have the Senate makeup being 6-3, with an additional vote going for whoever wins the runoff.

I guess I'm lumped in with the liberals now?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »

27 August 2007 - Well, the elections finally happened, and the results surprised many. EarlAW pulled an upset against Verily in District 1, and Mr. Moderate won District 2, as expected. Ebowed and BrandonH both won reelection in their respective districts, to the surprise of no one.
   Perhaps the most interesting senate election of this cycle was the Battle of the Former Presidents in District 3. Whie PBrunsel was thought to be favored to win reelection, as the results came in, it appeared as though Aflietch would win an upset. Due to a last-minute vote by Governor ilikeverin, the end result was a tie, that would be headed to a run-off next weekend.
   Whoever wins the run-off next weekend, this election signifies a significant leftward trend in Atlasia. As of this election, the current makeup of the senate is 5-5, with onservatives and liberals having equal control in the Senate. However, the results of the elections will have the Senate makeup being 6-3, with an additional vote going for whoever wins the runoff.

I guess I'm lumped in with the liberals now?

Well, you are a moderate liberal.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2007, 02:16:23 PM »

Upset?

I still dont understand why everyone thought I wasn't favoured to win. Spill the beans already!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »

Who were people expecting to vote for Earl?  Looking over the list of those who voted, none of the votes seem particularly surprising.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2007, 04:50:17 PM »

Phasing out incandescant light bulbs is not "extreme."  I'm not "banning light bulbs."  I'm hoping to phase out an energy inefficient form of them to replace them with newer, environmentally-friendly bulbs.

Other countries have taken this step.  It is not "extreme."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2007, 05:09:28 PM »

Phasing out incandescant light bulbs is not "extreme."  I'm not "banning light bulbs."  I'm hoping to phase out an energy inefficient form of them to replace them with newer, environmentally-friendly bulbs.

Yeah, Ontario's doing it.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2007, 05:24:31 PM »

Upset?

I still dont understand why everyone thought I wasn't favoured to win. Spill the beans already!

My own $0.02...
Personally, I thought you were slight favourite simply due to the districts demographics and your experience. However, I did think Verily would come closer and had a genuine shot.

There are a number of reasons why Verily may have been perceived as very competitive.
He is a left leaning moderate and so presumably would have been someone leftists would consider voting for him.
He has stronger appeal to moderates.
He received the outright endorsement of the right (though I suppose that could actually have hurt him) and so could expect whatever votes that bloc can give in your District.
Your debate highlighted that you two had almost identical positions on issues.
Your own campaign was not particularly high profile.
While you have a solid leftist voting record, you haven't yet moved any legislation.
Finally, Verily was simply a good candidate - at ease with the issues, eager to get involved, good temperament, etc... - though, this is not to say that you were by any means a bad candidate, btw.

Finally, I would say that nobody (that I've seen) predicted that you were going to be beaten by any particularly large margin in the election, that this is Atlasia and elections are more often than not unpredictable, and that some predictions may have been put forward disingenuously.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2007, 05:51:53 PM »

Phasing out incandescent light bulbs is not "extreme."  I'm not "banning light bulbs."  I'm hoping to phase out an energy inefficient form of them to replace them with newer, environmentally-friendly bulbs.

I never knew that the mercury in fluorescent bulbs was environmentally friendly before.  More seriously, there are some application where color quality is of sufficient importance that I do not support a complete ban on incandescent bulbs, though I could support a tax to reduce the apparent cost advantage to those who don't factor in the savings in electricity and longer life of the alternatives into their buying decisions.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2007, 05:56:24 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2007, 05:58:29 PM by Verily »

Phasing out incandescent light bulbs is not "extreme."  I'm not "banning light bulbs."  I'm hoping to phase out an energy inefficient form of them to replace them with newer, environmentally-friendly bulbs.

I never knew that the mercury in fluorescent bulbs was environmentally friendly before.  More seriously, there are some application where color quality is of sufficient importance that I do not support a complete ban on incandescent bulbs, though I could support a tax to reduce the apparent cost advantage to those who don't factor in the savings in electricity and longer life of the alternatives into their buying decisions.

The mercury in flourescent light bulbs is considerably less than the mercury released by power plants producing the extra electricity needed to power incandescent light bulbs, assuming that at least 6/10ths of the power is coming from coal plants (and that's true Atlasia-wide right now).

Still, a ban on incandescent light bulbs seems a bit extreme. On the other hand, I can't really see them as contraband, so it's not a situation where banning has the effect of creating a black market.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2007, 06:01:21 PM »

Upset?

My own $0.02...
Personally, I thought you were slight favourite simply due to the districts demographics and your experience. However, I did think Verily would come closer and had a genuine shot.

There are a number of reasons why Verily may have been perceived as very competitive.
He is a left leaning moderate and so presumably would have been someone leftists would consider voting for him.
He has stronger appeal to moderates.
He received the outright endorsement of the right (though I suppose that could actually have hurt him) and so could expect whatever votes that bloc can give in your District.
Your debate highlighted that you two had almost identical positions on issues.
Your own campaign was not particularly high profile.
While you have a solid leftist voting record, you haven't yet moved any legislation.
Finally, Verily was simply a good candidate - at ease with the issues, eager to get involved, good temperament, etc... - though, this is not to say that you were by any means a bad candidate, btw.

Finally, I would say that nobody (that I've seen) predicted that you were going to be beaten by any particularly large margin in the election, that this is Atlasia and elections are more often than not unpredictable, and that some predictions may have been put forward disingenuously.

Makes, sense. Thanks.

You know, I do feel rather bad I've beaten two people in a row who I would normally support in an election. Two very fine candidates, who I hope will run for office in the future, hopefuly for offices I don't currently hold Wink
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2007, 06:05:54 PM »

Personally, I'd be disinclined to support the lightbulb bill.  Regular lightbulbs are on their way to extinction via the free markets, and they've yet to come up with a dimmable flourescent lightbulb that actually works satisfactorily.  (And believe me, I've tried to find one.)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2007, 06:56:09 PM »

As President, Aflietch did sign some left wing legislation (see the 18th Senate) but on the other hand did nominate Naso and then Phil to the vacant Vice-President seat.

He's left on social issues and right on economic issues, opposite of Al, though Al is more moderate on social issues. I would necessarily call either of the left or right. Al's voting record was usually with the left, but I remember someone said he had the most mixed record in the previous Senate.

As everyone has already stated though, replacing DWTL with Mr. Moderate clearly moves the Senate one seat to the left. I would divide the next Senate as:

Right
Phil
PBrunsel *
Brandon

Center-Right
Sam

Populist
Al

Libertarian
Afleitch *

Center-Left
Mr. Moderate

Left
Lewis
Earl

Far Left
Rob
Ebowed
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2007, 10:45:27 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2007, 12:45:11 AM by Lt. Gov. South Park Conservative »

Keystone Phil Resigns From Senate

28 August 2007 - Tonight, Senatot Keystone Phil has resigned. He has not yet disclosed the reasons why he resigned or whether this will affect his Presidential campaign.
   Keystone Phil's resignation will give Governor Fezzy the power to appoint a replacement. Some people belived to be high on Fezzy's list are Rockefeller Republican, AndrewCT, Rin-chan, and Fezzy himself. It is expected that, due to Fezzy's conservative-libertarian ideology, he will appoint another conservative-leaning member to the Senate.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2007, 10:49:40 PM »

Doesn't Governor Fezzy get to appoint Phil's replacement?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2007, 10:50:59 PM »

That is correct.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2007, 11:07:06 PM »

That is correct.

I wonder who'll Fezzy apoint to fill Keystone Phil's Senate seat? I doubt it'll be me, however if it is, I would accept the position. No questions asked.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2007, 11:17:07 PM »

I wonder who'll Fezzy apoint to fill Keystone Phil's Senate seat? I doubt it'll be me, however if it is, I would accept the position. No questions asked.

The first person to come to my mind was AndrewCT.  It's a logical pick, anyway: a Republican replacing a Republican with another Republican.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2007, 11:19:51 PM »

AndrewCT would make sense, but he might be too liberal for a guy like Fezzy [very conservative] to appoint. Then, I could be wrong.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2007, 11:20:43 PM »

AndrewCT would make sense, but he might be too liberal for a guy like Fezzy [very conservative] to appoint. Then, I could be wrong.

I thought of that too, but how many conservatives are left in the Northeast?  Even DWTL moved out.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2007, 11:24:28 PM »

When does Governor Fezzy have to make the decision by?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2007, 11:25:54 PM »

I thought of that too, but how many conservatives are left in the Northeast?  Even DWTL moved out.

All I can think of is Rin-chan. He could appoint himself, too, couldn't he?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »

All I can think of is Rin-chan. He could appoint himself, too, couldn't he?

I don't see why not (other than PR reasons).  Maybe he'll appoint Conan?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2007, 12:41:25 AM »

Oh, I thought there was going to be a special election or something.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2007, 02:04:05 AM »

Fezzy might hold a non-binding election like he and myself have done in the past.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2007, 07:13:38 AM »

Surprisingly, I'm not as liberal as most think.  The major items that move have me in the moderate to liberal side of the party is my views on abortion, and civil unions. Go figure, lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies