Roy Moore 2004 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:01:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Roy Moore 2004 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roy Moore 2004  (Read 30144 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: February 05, 2004, 07:08:32 AM »

I dont know exactly how popular the guy is in the south, however if he runs strong like 15-20% he could throw some deep south states to a democrat, even more likely if the democrats nominate Edwards.
He could even win Alabama, be like a George Wallace candidate.

I find it quite funny that those outside of the Religious Right (RR) think they know the level of support within the RR for Moore.

Okay, you're the expert. Go ahead and tell us. Otherwise we'll just continue guessing, even though it is kinda uninformed. What can we do? We're mentally unable to keep our mouths shut!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 07:45:59 AM »

Okay, you're the expert. Go ahead and tell us. Otherwise we'll just continue guessing, even though it is kinda uninformed. What can we do? We're mentally unable to keep our mouths shut!
I don't see why we cannot predict the religious's right's voting patterns.

It should be easier for anyone who knows lots of people on the religious right and knows what they really think about Roy Moore. There's nothing immoral in us discussing it, it's just not too effective.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 08:09:10 AM »

It should be easier for anyone who knows lots of people on the religious right and knows what they really think about Roy Moore. There's nothing immoral in us discussing it, it's just not too effective.
Well, JMF is a member of the religious right.  That is evident from reading his posts.  But, we have analyzed (to some degree) the religous right's voting patterns, and we are fit to predict what they would dp in 2004.  I don't see anything wrong with that.
No, of course not. Even JMF didn't technically claim that. He said he found it funny. Unfortunately he didn't go on by telling us his opinion, which would have been worthwhile to hear. So really I wanted to elicit a reply by him.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 01:51:46 AM »

Moore put up the Ten Commandments in his courtroom and got sacked for it after a very public row (I guess it's much more complicated in detail, but that's all I remember).
JMF seems to claim that the ten commandments only apply to Jews and that he is allowed to kill (sorry, I'm being polemic. He's forbidden to kill, but not because of the Ten Commandments but because it also says so in the NT somewhere). I think I dimly remember a few verses in Mark that could be interpreted in that way, but no major denomination in Germany follows that interpretation.
As Moore too is a Christian and wanted people to live according to Christian law, this would make the Ten Commandments a less than perfect text to make this point.
Have I got this about right?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 03:10:13 AM »

JMF seems to claim that the ten commandments only apply to Jews and that he is allowed to kill (sorry, I'm being polemic. He's forbidden to kill, but not because of the Ten Commandments but because it also says so in the NT somewhere). I think I dimly remember a few verses in Mark that could be interpreted in that way, but no major denomination in Germany follows that interpretation.

I don’t know what verse in Mark you’re referring to, but:

1st)  It is impossible to separate the Ten Commandments from the other 600 commandments of the Law of Moses.
2nd) Jesus said in Mat 22:36-39 that the Two Greatest Commandments are “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind” (Dt 6:5) and “Love your neighbor as yourself” (Lev 19:Cool…You won’t find those two commands included within the 10 Commandments, for the 10 Commandments were never the cornerstone of God’s will.
3rd)  As far as those German denominations disagreeing with me…unless they rest from sundown Friday night until sundown Saturday night, they are in violation of the 10 Commandments since the 4th Commandment was to “Keep the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.”  Nowhere in the NT does it refer to the Sabbath as Sunday.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I do believe there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, but I believe that remaining rest is the eternal rest in Heaven; for the original Sabbath in Genesis 2:2-3 was NOT a one day rest like the one given to the Jews in the 10 Commandment, rather it was an eternal rest.  This is backed up in Rom 14:5; Col 2:16; Gal 4:10; and Heb 3:7-4:12 and is in agreement with the entire NT & OT as well as the first biblical reference of the Sabbath given in the account of Creation.

The Sabbath given to the Jews in the 10 Commandments was simply a foreshadowing of the true Sabbath that would last for eternity.  As it is written: “God rested from ALL his work” (Gen 2:2).  And again, “his work has been finished since the creation of the world” (Heb 4:4).

Alright, alright. I did understand you crrectly. The bit from mark i was thinking of one about the Mosaic Law not being applicable to the disciples. It is indeed concerned about the Sabbath.
The Ten Commandments are just one of those Biblical texts you see quoted the most. Though the point about the Sabbath seems logical to me, both Catholics and Protestants go about and teach people that this is one of the bible's most important texts.
But never mind.
PS In Germany the major confessions are the Roman Catholic church and those denominations federated in the Evangelische Kirche in Deutschland. (Evangelisch doesn't  mean Evangelical, it's used in the sense of Protestant). these are mostly Lutherans, plus Dutch Reformed, Methodist (very few) and the so called Freikirchen. I don't know where exactly to fit these latter people in, fundamentalist independent Lutheran would roughly fit the bill, I guess.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 03:41:30 AM »

Perot was very weak in the South, and his campaigns were a hell of a lot more centrist than any Moore campaign could possibly be. In 1996, the vast majority of Perot voters would have preferred Dole to Clinton, but in 1992 they would have broken roughly equal in a Preferential Voting system. So it's not a valid comparison. Much wiser to look at the 2000 percentages of Buchanan, the Constitution party, the Libertarians, and add a premium in Alabama and Mississippi. In other words, Moore too won't do much damage.
But even a little damage can be decisive. It's possible he'll technically cost Bush Florida, or West Virginia, or Missouri, and thus the election, even though he's got less than 2% in that state.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 08:44:32 AM »

In recent history SOutherners have been rather reluctant to vote third party. Perot scored worst there, so did Nader, so did Anderson.
Seems they lost interest in voting third parties after 1968...Or maybe it's because voting patterns are now so strongly determined by race.
Doesn't bode well for a third party candidate who's logical base in SOuthern. Let me once more remind you of what happened to Buchanan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies