Should there be any conditions on American aid to Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 11:54:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should there be any conditions on American aid to Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should there be any conditions on American aid to Israel?
Yes, there should be conditions of some sort on American aid to Israel

No, there should not be conditions of any sort on American aid to Israel

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Should there be any conditions on American aid to Israel?  (Read 156 times)

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2024, 02:10:38 PM »
« edited: May 10, 2024, 02:15:39 PM by ꙮ »

It might seem like an absurdly reductionist question, but I think it's relevant in light of the latest controversy over Biden withholding aid. In response multiple politicians have explicitly said that there should be no conditions on aid to Israel.

Frankly I think promising unlimited support to any country is idiotic, but what do I know. Comments like those are especially bothersome because of the one-sided nature of the Israeli-American alliance. We give Israel billions of dollars in aid every single year in exchange for nothing, and certain politicians lose their minds if the topic of reducing or conditioning said aid ever comes up. I don't have any inherent problem with Israel and I generally support Israel over Hamas and the PA (certainly in the current conflict), but I don't understand what America gets strategically out of this relationship.
Pro-Israel, anti-Bibi
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 02:16:55 PM »

These are two sovereign states, of course America does not have the obligation to provide aid to another country if some conditions aren't met.
By how Bibi is melting down over this, it is in fact the most effective weapon we have to motivate Israel to finally cast him off his paper throne.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 04:37:23 PM »

As of now, yes.

I don't even think Israel needs the aid anymore. It made sense in the immediate aftermath of October 7, and being paired with the Ukraine package, but enough is too much. This conflict has to end for the sake of all three nations involved. Netanyahu rejecting the latest ceasefire agreement (even if it wasn't perfect) is a sign that a more tough love approach is finally appropriate.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 06:12:41 PM »

Option 1, obviously, and that should be the obvious answer no matter how strongly pro-Israel you are. No nation is obligated to unconditional aid. We are not beholden to Israel (or, for that matter, any other nation), and AIPAC should not manipulate America into thinking that it is.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 07:43:36 PM »

Option 1, though I'd be leery of going too far in the direction of conditioning aid.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies