If Trump wins, ground games don't matter.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:41:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If Trump wins, ground games don't matter.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Trump wins, ground games don't matter.  (Read 608 times)
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2024, 10:55:44 AM »

Okay, I know the title is a bit clickbait-y, but hear me out.

By all accounts, Joe Biden is doing most things right in the campaign. He's organizing volunteers in key swing states months in advance, whereas the GOP has next to no field offices in these states. He's raising a lot more money from small-dollar donations. His opponent, Donald Trump, has very little ground game at present and cancels half his rallies to either spend the day in court or play golf. Conventional wisdom should be that this doesn't help Trump.

However, none of this seems to matter. Trump leads in almost all swing-state polling, sometimes by double digits, which, if these polls come true, will mean an even more lopsided election than 2008. What's particularly striking would not be the margin, but the fact that the winner is the candidate who is objectively doing most things wrong, against a candidate who's doing most things right. Yes, there's Israel/Gaza, but foreign policy is rarely a top concern among voters - even current polling for this election says this.

Therefore, my thesis is the following: If Trump wins, field organization does not matter at all. So what does?
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 11:35:09 AM »

I think the conclusion would be ground games don’t matter if you’re a deeply unpopular incumbent and the national situation isn’t getting any better. If Jimmy Carter had a better ground game than Ronald Reagan and still lost, it would be absurd to say the conclusion is ground games don’t better. The conclusion would be it is hard to win with a toxic incumbent.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 11:41:41 AM »

Let’s be honest people are now asocial dorks. I don’t even meet my DoorDash driver at the door - you think I want to have some door knocker sign me up for a lawn sign?

You got to engage people where they live - social media.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 11:48:38 AM »

Let’s be honest people are now asocial dorks. I don’t even meet my DoorDash driver at the door - you think I want to have some door knocker sign me up for a lawn sign?

Why lol . All the do is just give you the food and leave after like 10 seconds . Also if you order door dash to your office(which is what I primarily use it for)  then why wouldn’t you prefer your food to be given directly to you rather than put in a common area where a mix up could happen.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 11:49:50 AM »

I would say it matters for down ballot but not presidential since the name recognition factor is so high in presidential races along with an insane amount of free media given to the presidential race .

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 11:58:48 AM »

This already happened in 2016. Trump never had the same operations Hillary did. He just went out there on the rally stage and persuaded millions of white working class voters through his speeches. The ground game operations you see today were invented by Obama in 2012 when he realized minorities didn't have the same enthusiasm as 2008.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 12:57:59 PM »

“Ground game” as popularized by Team Obama was less about being on the ground and more about microtargeting voters through digital ads.

It doesn’t matter how many field offices Team Biden has. A candidate with 55-60% disapproval should be more focused on turning that around than trying to hit door-knocking metrics.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 01:02:22 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2024, 01:26:25 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Ironically, the reverse was true in 2020 for Trump to come as close as he did. Democrats sort of unilaterally disarmed with ground game.

He infuriatingly defies common sense and logic, but seriously, he is not this electoral juggernaut.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 01:04:29 PM »

Ironically, the reverse was true in 2020 for Trump to come as close as he did.

He infuriatingly defies common sense and logic, but seriously, he is not this electoral juggernaut.

It was a 303 map in 20 like it always is
iceman
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 01:24:36 PM »

Okay, I know the title is a bit clickbait-y, but hear me out.

By all accounts, Joe Biden is doing most things right in the campaign. He's organizing volunteers in key swing states months in advance, whereas the GOP has next to no field offices in these states. He's raising a lot more money from small-dollar donations. His opponent, Donald Trump, has very little ground game at present and cancels half his rallies to either spend the day in court or play golf. Conventional wisdom should be that this doesn't help Trump.

However, none of this seems to matter. Trump leads in almost all swing-state polling, sometimes by double digits, which, if these polls come true, will mean an even more lopsided election than 2008. What's particularly striking would not be the margin, but the fact that the winner is the candidate who is objectively doing most things wrong, against a candidate who's doing most things right. Yes, there's Israel/Gaza, but foreign policy is rarely a top concern among voters - even current polling for this election says this.

Therefore, my thesis is the following: If Trump wins, field organization does not matter at all. So what does?

I think so too. It’s possibly because this is a rematch and people know both candidates already and voters already have a solid opinion on both whethere they campaign further or not. I honestly believe 90% of the electorate has already made up their minds about both candidates since last year.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 01:41:18 PM »

Ironically, the reverse was true in 2020 for Trump to come as close as he did. Democrats sort of unilaterally disarmed with ground game.

This is the explanation for Republicans overperforming but it I'd constantly overlooked.
Duke of York

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 03:04:02 PM »

If Democrats hadn't refused to any in person campaigning they might have won more house seats and possibly held the house in 2022.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 03:08:09 PM »

Ground game is like multivitamins.

Are they helpful? Maybe at the margins, certainly it doesn't hurt.

Will they save you from anything serious? No, you were already screwed.

The concept that some canvassing and walk around money is the reason Obama beat Romney is a fiction that campaign staff propagate to ensure they have jobs.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 05:16:34 PM »

If they did, Bernie would be President right now, him or Ted Cruz. One of them.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2024, 05:57:15 PM »

This already happened in 2016. Trump never had the same operations Hillary did. He just went out there on the rally stage and persuaded millions of white working class voters through his speeches. The ground game operations you see today were invented by Obama in 2012 when he realized minorities didn't have the same enthusiasm as 2008.

More so Bush 2004 to get evangelicals to the polls.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2024, 09:49:41 AM »

Didn't Democrats underperform in 2020 because they didn't do door-door canvassing? They did door to door for the 2021 Georgia senate races and won. Just saying
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 12:31:13 PM »

“Ground game” as popularized by Team Obama was less about being on the ground and more about microtargeting voters through digital ads.

This is totally incorrect.

Actually though, the fact that you think that is one indication of the effectiveness of the Obama camp microtargeting. The fact that you never heard from them means they (correctly) knew that you were not someone worth wasting time and effort contacting.
Duke of York

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 01:31:00 PM »

Didn't Democrats underperform in 2020 because they didn't do door-door canvassing? They did door to door for the 2021 Georgia senate races and won. Just saying

if they had done that its possible they might have won more seats and even held the house in 2022.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2024, 01:32:59 PM »

This is totally incorrect.

Actually though, the fact that you think that is one indication of the effectiveness of the Obama camp microtargeting. The fact that you never heard from them means they (correctly) knew that you were not someone worth wasting time and effort contacting.

I supported Barack Hussein Obama over Romney bud. I know more about Obama 2012 than you.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 01:42:44 PM »

it doesn't matter much in presidential elections, which is why Biden won with 0 ground game in 2020. But it 100% matters in midterm/off-year elections.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies