Outside of the British Isles, which country is the most "Anglicized"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:24:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Outside of the British Isles, which country is the most "Anglicized"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Outside of the British Isles, which country is the most "Anglicized"?
Australia

Canada

New Zealand

United States of America

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Outside of the British Isles, which country is the most "Anglicized"?  (Read 676 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2024, 06:31:32 PM »

By "Anglicized," I mean which country is most culturally, socially, politically, etc. similar to the UK.

My pick would be New Zealand.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 07:30:58 PM »

Which part of each country? A lot of internal variation on this one. More than there is among them as a whole, in my view.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 03:58:08 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2024, 07:03:55 AM by Cassius »

Unquestionably New Zealand - even its climate is by far the most similar to that of the UK, although of course it’s still a very different place (and the presence of a much larger than usual ‘indigenous’ minority group is actually a point of greater difference from the UK than for the other three countries).

After NZ  I think the rest of the  ranking is fairly straightforward, with Australia being the most similar and the United States being the least.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 10:42:23 AM »

New Zealand
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 10:52:12 AM »

NZ - 95.37% native Anglo speakers
Aus - 72.0% native Anglo speakers
Can - 58.1% native Anglo speakers
USA - 78.0% native Anglo speakers

The answer is New Zealand by far, followed by USA and Australia roughly close together, and dead last being Canada. Makes sense, considering so much of Canada is Francophone and immigrant languages like Spanish and Chinese are widely spoken throughout America and Australia while being almost completely absent in NZ. The only real non-English linguistic influence on New Zealand is Maori, spoken by about 4% of the population.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 10:53:09 AM »

Singapore
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 12:58:50 PM »

The answer is New Zealand by far, followed by USA and Australia roughly close together, and dead last being Canada. Makes sense, considering so much of Canada is Francophone and immigrant languages like Spanish and Chinese are widely spoken throughout America and Australia while being almost completely absent in NZ. The only real non-English linguistic influence on New Zealand is Maori, spoken by about 4% of the population.
According to Canada's 2021 Census, the first language for 75% of Canadians is English, while for 21% it is French (close to 90% of whom live in Quebec).

Anyway, "Anglicization" isn't just about language. However, yes, like I said in the OP, NZ is my answer (not for the reason you said though).
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 02:10:19 PM »

According to Canada's 2021 Census, the first language for 75% of Canadians is English, while for 21% it is French (close to 90% of whom live in Quebec).

I was referring to the mother tongue statistics.

Mother tongue   Percentage
French              20.2%
English               56.6%
Other                23.2%

The numbers you refer to only includes the proportion of "first official language" speakers, English 76%, French 22%, and "neither English nor French" at 1.8%. However, these numbers don't accurately address what a person's actual native tongue is. For instance, Mandarin Chinese is the native tongue of at least 1.9% of Canadians, a higher number than the "first official language" statistics would allow.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 02:30:52 PM »

The numbers you refer to only includes the proportion of "first official language" speakers, English 76%, French 22%, and "neither English nor French" at 1.8%. However, these numbers don't accurately address what a person's actual native tongue is. For instance, Mandarin Chinese is the native tongue of at least 1.9% of Canadians, a higher number than the "first official language" statistics would allow.
Yeah, but that more accurately addresses the fact that for ~3/4ths of Canadians, English is either their first or primary language.

For example, some Canadians (like some Americans and so on) are immigrants or have immigrant parents from non-English-speaking countries, and they may have spoken a language other than English first, but English is generally the language they speak primarily.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 12:09:45 PM »

New Zealand is the obvious (and correct) answer, but I would say that in many ways Canada is more similar to the UK than Australia. The language thing is an obvious point of difference though.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2024, 12:28:35 PM »

The 95.37% statistic is not about native language and is from a question where people could choose multiple options (I believe it just asked about languages spoken overall) which means the total add up to more than 100, therefore the comparison is faulty. In fact I'm fairly certain NZ has a higher proportion of Chinese speakers than the USA.

And for that matter, there a lot of immigrant languages being spoken in the UK as well.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2024, 03:07:54 PM »

I'm curious, what makes folks here choose NZ over Australia? Aside from the language thing, there doesn't seem to be much to suggest one over the other -- NZ has a cooler climate but it also seems to be pretty different qualitatively from the UK.

This may not really be meaningful, but I've been watching Taskmaster recently and I've been struck by the sheer number of people from the Antipodes on there; it seems like the U.K. entertainment industry might be a draw in the same way that ambitious Canadians (and people from everywhere else ofc) go to Hollywood.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2024, 03:20:04 PM »

Well, New Zealand would have been the objectively correct answer (of the options given, anyway) until about forty years ago, and many stereotypes have not really caught up.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2024, 03:49:33 PM »

Well, New Zealand would have been the objectively correct answer (of the options given, anyway) until about forty years ago, and many stereotypes have not really caught up.

So what would the answer be today in your opinion?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2024, 05:13:45 PM »

I'm curious, what makes folks here choose NZ over Australia? Aside from the language thing, there doesn't seem to be much to suggest one over the other -- NZ has a cooler climate but it also seems to be pretty different qualitatively from the UK.

This may not really be meaningful, but I've been watching Taskmaster recently and I've been struck by the sheer number of people from the Antipodes on there; it seems like the U.K. entertainment industry might be a draw in the same way that ambitious Canadians (and people from everywhere else ofc) go to Hollywood.

Oh man this is amazing, I've also been watching Taskmaster recently and one of my first thoughts upon entering this thread (precisely inspired by that) was that every Kiwi media celebrity seems to have worked in the UK at some point.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2024, 03:52:17 AM »

Very Much No; really can't think of that many points of similarity at all.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2024, 04:11:48 AM »

The 95.37% statistic is not about native language and is from a question where people could choose multiple options (I believe it just asked about languages spoken overall) which means the total add up to more than 100, therefore the comparison is faulty. In fact I'm fairly certain NZ has a higher proportion of Chinese speakers than the USA.

And for that matter, there a lot of immigrant languages being spoken in the UK as well.

If we're not talking about native language, then 98% of Icelanders knows English, so it must be super Anglo.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2024, 07:00:48 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2024, 07:04:15 AM by Pericles »

How would Canada excluding Quebec compare?

New Zealand historically has been the closest to the UK, but there are also plenty of obvious differences. My impression is that we are more diverse than the UK and Australia. Along with Maori, we also have significant Pacific Islander and Asian populations. I'm not sure where the idea of Chinese being absent comes from.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2024, 07:50:48 AM »

So what would the answer be today in your opinion?

A tie between Australia and New Zealand. Liberalization made Australia mildly more like Britain as the elements of Australian society and political economy that withered in the face of it had no real equivalent here, whereas liberalization in New Zealand made it a lot less like Britain, compared to how it had been before, in part due to the way in which it was done (we can make a lot of 'Post Soviet Britain' jokes about particular privatizations and how they played out here, but the equivalents just wouldn't work in New Zealand) and the extent to which it was taken.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2024, 01:27:00 PM »

PROVOCATIVE: The Subcontinent
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2024, 03:31:26 PM »

White South Africans are basically British people except the 1970s never ended.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2024, 10:08:49 PM »

How would Canada excluding Quebec compare?
Anglo-Canada is literally just the U.S., but with single-payer, universal healthcare, more hockey, and fewer guns.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2024, 11:05:23 PM »

White South Africans are basically British people except the 1970s never ended.
There's no one correct answer for this question, but South Africa, where over half the white population are Afrikaans speaking descendants of Dutch colonists, is definitely the wrong one
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies