SiCKO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:16:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SiCKO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: SiCKO  (Read 4595 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2007, 12:18:50 PM »

And we should all take employment advice from a kid who really doesn't understand how difficult it can be even for a highly qualified person to get a job, especially after quitting a previous job. Companies aren't going to hire you if you say, "I quit my job because it had poor health coverage, but you have good health coverage." They don't want to pay for you.

If you have cancer and a bad job, you deserve to die!

I still fail to see why I should pay for a broken government system.  Does anyone really believe that socialized medicine would work?  I mean we've just had so much success with medicare and social security.

You can argue that "Social Security" could be run better, but even under its current form, I consider the program to be a tremendous success in keeping the rotting corpses of the bankrupted elderly from rotting in the streets.

Broken window fallacy. You can't possibly know what would have happened if social security had not been instituted. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »

Yeah. But what is better ? Wait 3 months for cancer therapy (which I find rather extreme) and be insured, or let you treat uninsured and face debts of a trillion $s ?

I donīt know a lot of persons around me with cancer (thank goodness) but I can say that I googled a bit and can say that at least Salzburg State government did a good job in bringing down waiting periods and that cancer drugs are fastest to get for a cure in Austria, Switzerland and Spain, while slowest in the UK. Basically cancer treatment starts right away here.

I think three months to be extreme as well, but I see no reason why the United States need directly emulate other countries' models.  We have the ability to pick and choose components that would best help us avoid the pitfalls.

I'm thinking a multi-tiered [basic care universally, more geared towards catastrophic care] triage based system [longer waits for elective surgery, short/no wait for urgent care as now] with enough of a co-pay to discourage "frivolous" visits -- $25, perhaps?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2007, 12:29:11 PM »

And I live in a state where at least 1/3 of the population is living dead. ha

and another 1/3rd speaks no english.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2007, 12:29:22 PM »

Broken window fallacy. You can't possibly know what would have happened if social security had not been instituted. 

Well, I certainly know what would have happened to my grandmother if social security hadn't been implemented.

It's a federally run insurance policy, and it's one that seems to be working as intended.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2007, 03:01:01 PM »

I went to see it last night. I used to be strongly opposed to giving Moore any money to see his productions but I was just too curious about this one and had to see it as soon as possible (I waited to see Farenheit 9/11 until I realized that my Aunt had it on one of her free movie channels).

It was a good movie. It was filled with sad stories but there were hilarious moments like when Moore decided to leave the country. He visited Canada, Cuba, the UK and France. Watching him was better than watching a kid open Christmas presents. The man was in awe about how everything was "free." He told audiences that long waiting lines and poor services were myths of the American government/media. He even told us that Cuba has one of the best health care systems in the entire world.

But my personal favorite was when he was in France. He had a group of former American citizens meet him and tell him how wonderful everything was and that it was all "free!" He then sarcastically brought up how over taxed these people probably are and wanted to see how an average French family copes. He visited a family, showed us how comfortable they live, how they would be considered "middle class" in America and tried to prove wrong the argument that they were over taxed. The problem?

Michael never told us how much they pay in taxes.

Just like his other movies (I've seen Farenheit 9/11 and Roger and Me), at least they were entertaining.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2007, 03:32:02 PM »

I could care less if you don't have health care.  Would I like you to? Of course, but if you don't not my problem.

Communicable diseases very quickly become your problem.

Cannot say I have ever been effected by something that horrible, and anything that bad I go to my doctor he gives me some good medicine I give my $15 co-pay and in a day or two I feel better.

My biggest problem with UHC is that the government sucks and wastes money and there is no way that UHC would not just be another complicated, abused, and overfunded government program.

And you don't think the current system is complicated, abused, and inefficient.  Ever been to a hospital emergency room in a major city?

Ever been to a hospital emergency room in a country with socialized medicine?

I have when my mother needed emergency surgery.  Quite frankly it looked perfectly fine.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2007, 05:31:26 PM »

I have jsut one thing to say about SiCKO:

I just saw it, and it brought me to tears. It is truly the most eye opening thing I have ever seen. Anyone who is still sitting on the fence about seeing it, dont think twice: Go see it as soon as you can. You wont regret it.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2007, 09:04:45 AM »

You see, most things we love most about America come from the left.

Thank you, liberals, for ice cream, the Grand Canyon, and Baywatch re-runs!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »

Just got back from seeing it, finally.

I already thought that America needed free universal health care.
Now I know it.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »

I really need to see this movie while it's still out.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »

Now I know it.

Thinking it would be "free" is quite foolish.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »

Now I know it.

Thinking it would be "free" is quite foolish.

well ok, I would pay taxes for it, but the taxes would be lower than doctor bills/insurance costs, and a doctor visit would be free...that's what I meant
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2007, 10:44:43 PM »

A national healthcare system would confer many advantages, in my opinion, but could only be maintained in the long term if people accepted their social responsibilities; unhealthy activities must be minimized.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2007, 01:01:14 AM »

A national healthcare system would confer many advantages, in my opinion, but could only be maintained in the long term if people accepted their social responsibilities; unhealthy activities must be minimized.

Border states are being crippled with healthcare costs from illegals and that's with no "free" system. Imagine what the consequences will be if, god forbid, we do get "free" healthcare.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2007, 11:39:15 AM »

Who would not be eligible as they are not citizens. I can't jump across the Canadian border and get free healthcare there.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies