Certified wrong results in Texas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:03:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Certified wrong results in Texas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Certified wrong results in Texas?  (Read 451 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2024, 04:25:16 PM »

Why is there very little discussion about this?

Per the Texas SOS website and NYT and Wikipedia, Nikki Haley won Kent county in the northern part of the state. This makes zero sense, as Trump got nearly 90% against Biden  in 2020 and in the primary he got over 76% in each of the 8 counties bordering it. Yet the vote total despite possibly being an error has been certified by the state and is now deemed official.

Sure it's only like 79 votes but for the integrity of our electoral system and process this type of management is unacceptable.
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 04:27:13 PM »

Vote fraud is systemic in rural Texas. Check out how Loving County is:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/not-so-loving-county/
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 06:09:14 PM »

With that few votes it's not going to generate much discussion. It's not that it doesn't matter it's just that it is too small for anyone to pay attention to. Things like this are a good argument for county consolidation. Texas is one of many states with far too many counties.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 06:12:07 PM »

Agree with poster above but this is still clearly and embarrassing oversight. Rural TX counties have a history of these problems particularly in lower profile elections like referendums no one cares about and primaries. In the past decade multiple rural TX counties (including Starr) failed to ever report their results for a few uncompetitive statewide ballot things.

If this happened at the Pres level (I.e. Biden winning Roberts County TX) it would definitely be caught and fixed right away, but in these other elections just not enough folks care and the race isn’t competitive to matter.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 06:56:06 PM »

I’d assume that Trump and Haley’s numbers are flipped in that county.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 08:07:29 PM »

It's suspicious but I don't think that's enough evidence to conclude there was an error.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 09:09:57 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2024, 09:28:36 PM by ꙮ »

It's an obvious error, but these things do happen from time to time.

There's an older thread on this with a few more examples: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=420377

I remember looking at the official 2018 New York State primary results by county and realizing there was an obvious error. The reason I think nobody else ever picked up on it is because it was the primary to decide the Reform Party's Attorney General nominee. The error was that Nancy Sliwa supposedly won 100% of the vote in Ulster County, a 209-0-0 win. She did not exceed 60% of the vote in any other county in the state.

The moral of the story is that unless an election is close (and one people remotely care about), people aren't necessarily going to be taking a fine-toothed comb to every precinct's results. Mistakes go unnoticed, at least until some nerd at Atlas picks up on them.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 11:44:46 PM »

It's suspicious but I don't think that's enough evidence to conclude there was an error.
Haley couldn't even clear 40% in Travis but she somehow got 65% in a deep red rural county whose neighbors went for Trump by insane margins?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 03:10:11 AM »

I don't know. It's not Travis or any of those other counties. It's worth a look but I wouldn't rule out something strange.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 08:10:16 AM »

Just wait until write-in Nikki Haley wins 3,000 counties this November.
kwabbit

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2024, 08:58:38 AM »

The results for the county in the by-Congressional district count have Trump at like 85%. It was an error, no speculation is necessary.
kwabbit

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2024, 09:00:45 AM »

I’d assume that Trump and Haley’s numbers are flipped in that county.

All of Trump’s Election Day votes were allocated to Haley. Not a flip, they just had Haley getting every vote on e-day, while Trump actually got nearly 90% in the by-congressional district e-day count.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2024, 03:19:41 PM »

Yeah, ik this is statistically insignificant, ofc, but I still feel like it's something more people would have caught - for me it stood out immediately given that it was literally a speck of orange in a sea of blue. Again, it's not something people care about, but it's not like a hidden needle in a haystack - this county sticks out like a sore thumb on the map, especially given it's one of those random square counties in the middle of nowhere.

I honestly figured it's just one of those counties where there are like a dozen odd voters and it just had like, idk, some people come in from out of county or something. But yeah, given what Kwabbit said, it's pretty clearly just a wrong result.

Pretty embarrassing if you ask me, just because the one Haley victory in the entire state is the result of an error. Embarrassing for both Haley and the TXGOP/SOS.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2024, 03:25:10 PM »

Has anyone contacted the Texas SOS office about this? 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies