North Carolina Senate votes to ban people from wearing masks in public
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:00:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Carolina Senate votes to ban people from wearing masks in public
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: North Carolina Senate votes to ban people from wearing masks in public  (Read 870 times)
Yoda
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2024, 01:03:42 AM »

Does this include Proud Boys/3 Percenters/Oath Keepers/Whatever-the-domestic-Nazis-are-calling-themselves-these-days marches?

I ask b/c it honestly wouldn't surprise me if NC Republicans wrote in an exception to the law for their most loyal voters - cowards who wear masks and carry tiki torches while chanting "Jews will not replace us."

Or did they just stop at virtue signaling against efforts to stop the spread of infectious diseases?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2024, 01:05:28 AM »

I think he tried to say Murica instead of Murcia.

A ME RI CA.....
Wtf is a kilometer?
I hAtE broccoli
Mac n cheese!!!
T Bone baby  Tongue
This land is my land, NIMBY!
WaLkInG iS 4 pEaSaNtS
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2024, 12:38:59 PM »

Does this include Proud Boys/3 Percenters/Oath Keepers/Whatever-the-domestic-Nazis-are-calling-themselves-these-days marches?

I ask b/c it honestly wouldn't surprise me if NC Republicans wrote in an exception to the law for their most loyal voters - cowards who wear masks and carry tiki torches while chanting "Jews will not replace us."

Or did they just stop at virtue signaling against efforts to stop the spread of infectious diseases?

No there isn't anything like that at all. The bill removes an exception in a longstanding law that was placed in response to the COVID epidemic, and adds enhanced penalties for wearing a mask while committing a crime. It also adds sections stating that religious institutions can't be placed under more restrictions than non-religious institutions, and adds penalties for blocking emergency vehicles and repeat offenses of blocking traffic.

https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2023/Bills/House/PDF/H237v4.pdf
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2024, 02:44:35 PM »

Three Senate Democrats proposed amendments to keep the health exemption and exclude hate groups from masking, but Senate Republicans used a procedural mechanism to block them without going up for a vote.

It doesn't explicitly make an exception, but I find it troublesome that the Republicans moved to block the vote on those amendments.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2024, 05:46:55 PM »

Three Senate Democrats proposed amendments to keep the health exemption and exclude hate groups from masking, but Senate Republicans used a procedural mechanism to block them without going up for a vote.

It doesn't explicitly make an exception, but I find it troublesome that the Republicans moved to block the vote on those amendments.

Troublesome, or on point?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2024, 08:41:59 PM »

Every single libertarian should be up in arms about this (figuratively).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2024, 02:00:33 PM »

excluding groups from masking on the basis of what they advocate for runs into 1st amendment issues since it can be considered viewpoint discrimination.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2024, 08:02:04 PM »

excluding groups from masking on the basis of what they advocate for runs into 1st amendment issues since it can be considered viewpoint discrimination.

Wouldn't ADA compliance/preemption be the out if you want to allow it only for health reasons?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2024, 08:07:24 PM »

BIG GOVT COMMUNISM has arrived in NC!
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2024, 08:28:44 PM »

BIG GOVT COMMUNISM has arrived in NC!
Arrived? We've had it for at least eight years.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2024, 10:26:40 PM »

thank god for Chairman Roy Cooper
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies