Should the government fund absolutely nothing besides the military?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:43:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the government fund absolutely nothing besides the military?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the government fund absolutely nothing besides the military?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Should the government fund absolutely nothing besides the military?  (Read 4967 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 12:32:38 PM »

I'm surprised you don't support privatizing the postal service like most libertarians do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 01:33:43 PM »

I'm always reminded of the words of Sir Alexander Tytler who said:
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury. From that time on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the results that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."

It seems that's exactly where we are headed.

DavidS, you're missing the whole point, due to your obsession with this false dichotomy between 'public' and 'private'.  You object to the commoners voting themselves more money.. but why does the money reside with a small privileged class in the first place?  It was placed there by State actions.  In other words, the owning class which monopolizes political power 'votes' themselves the lions share of the production of the society as a whole.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 02:23:54 PM »

I'm surprised you don't support privatizing the postal service like most libertarians do.

Out of the forum libertarians here, David S is the most outstanding Constitutionalist as well.  The Constitution does allow for a governmentally funded postal service.

Would any of you guys have a real beef if a private company such as DHL or FedEx started delivering letters first class?  I really don't see why you couldn't have private companies do this along with the post office.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 02:45:14 PM »

I don't see why the Constitution of the United States is relevant to this discussion, which is about government in general--not about the government of the United States in particular.

That said, it would certainly be necessary for the government to fund more than the military. It should also fund an internal law and order system--courts, police, and so forth. Furthermore, I would find it acceptable (but not necessary or desirable) for the government to fund certain so-called "public goods" (roads and education, for example).
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 04:49:05 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2007, 05:14:11 PM by David S »

I don't have a problem with allowing private competition with the Post Office. But at the moment I don't see a pressing need to do so. The Post Office is a constitutional function of government.

Actually I'd like to see the income statement  for the post office, but haven't been able to find it. So I don't know if it operates in the black or if operates in the red like most things government runs.

Edit: OK I found some financial info on the Post Office at http://www.usps.com/history/anrpt06/

I am pleasantly surprised to find that the Post Office actually operates at a slight profit. Good for them.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 04:51:40 PM »

I'm always reminded of the words of Sir Alexander Tytler who said:
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury. From that time on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the results that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."

It seems that's exactly where we are headed.

DavidS, you're missing the whole point, due to your obsession with this false dichotomy between 'public' and 'private'.  You object to the commoners voting themselves more money.. but why does the money reside with a small privileged class in the first place?  It was placed there by State actions.  In other words, the owning class which monopolizes political power 'votes' themselves the lions share of the production of the society as a whole.

Asking for your opinion on the subject would be like asking for medical advice from Jack the Ripper. Cool
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 09:32:55 PM »

i think the government should privatize everything including the military. The military can sell sponsorships. Think about it. Remember how popular the war was back in 2003. Instead of 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' it could have been "The Tostitos Iraqi Takedown"

and if the free market were at work then by now they would have pulled out....there is no way they could have found a sponsor for "the surge"
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 10:14:38 PM »

No. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 03:04:13 AM »

I think the government can start by privatizing the military Wink Of course that plan would be unfeasable, but on principle it does seem to be the branch of government that is running up the debt the most; something David S has a great concern about.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »

I think the government can start by privatizing the military Wink

This administration kinda already has.  Ever hear of Blackwater?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 10:09:55 AM »

I think the government can start by privatizing the military Wink

This administration kinda already has.  Ever hear of Blackwater?
It's not just this administration... although they're the worst offenders... :/
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2007, 10:25:18 PM »

As nice an idea as that sounds, no. There are other necessary things.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies