libertarians: should us senators be elected by the people? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:14:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  libertarians: should us senators be elected by the people? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: libertarians: should us senators be elected by the people?  (Read 7135 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: July 01, 2007, 11:08:16 AM »

No, but I'm not adamant about it. It would certainly cut down on unfunded mandates, which would be nice. But of course it's not without it's problems, as Emsworth points out.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 02:59:49 PM »

okay, let me get this straight...libertarians constantly talk about personal freedom and liberty.  shouldnt people have freedom to directly elect their senators?

As Emsworth said, it's more about voting being a means to an end than a means in and of itself. If we had a dictator who was completely incorruptible, all wise, all knowing, and basically was able to maximize personal liberties without bringing harm, then we wouldn't need democracy - problem is we don't, so we need a system that can bring about as much liberty as possible while creating the least amount of harm. Some libertarians feel that this would involve the state governments still electing Senators.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And I'm curious about why you don't use the Shift key! Wink

Anywho, I think the elector system is fine, but does need changes. Maybe distribute the electors by percentage of votes received or something like that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies