This stat here shows why Americans don't think the economy is good and its not about vibes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 05:55:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  This stat here shows why Americans don't think the economy is good and its not about vibes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This stat here shows why Americans don't think the economy is good and its not about vibes  (Read 309 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2024, 08:47:13 PM »

https://archive.ph/oieYT#selection-4939.0-4939.224

Though inflation is falling now, it has been higher on average under Biden than Trump. Adjusted for inflation, net worth was up just 0.7% through Biden’s first three years, compared with 16% through Trump’s first three years
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 09:02:48 PM »

This is useful knowledge but does not tell anything about the distribution across wealth percentiles by itself. The stock market performance will impact the average and the median extremely differently, so I don't want to draw conclusions from that average, although it is a reasonable explanation that people spent down excess savings.

I think the better evidence was actually presented by The Economist, which disaggregates the jobs data and shows the jobs losses at established firms as still net negative since COVID. Most people prefer the benefits and pay of an established business over a start-up and are struggling to find so called good employment in a number of white collar industries.

I won't say that is a certain conclusion - because preferences could just shift away from big corporate roles too - but that never quite matched what we see in headlines with involuntary job cuts. DFB similarly posted that public perception of job availability is quite poor this year after the hot job market of 2021-22.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 09:23:50 PM »

It's not the "vibes" that's the issue-it's associating every aspect of the economy to the President.

Trump would be getting the blame too right now for economic woes.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 10:25:41 PM »

I just don't really know how these two data sets can simultaneously be true.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 12:40:50 AM »

Trump economy was bad too that's why he lost seats in 2018 in  low unemployment as well, because of his tax cuts
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 05:45:57 AM »

It's not the "vibes" that's the issue-it's associating every aspect of the economy to the President.

No he wouldn’t. We’d hear about how “I did so good until China sent that virus and ruined it”

Just like when Trump wins and fixes nothing we will hear “It was SUCH a big mess it was IMPOSSIBLE to fix it in just four years”
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 06:02:16 AM »

No he wouldn’t. We’d hear about how “I did so good until China sent that virus and ruined it”

Just like when Trump wins and fixes nothing we will hear “It was SUCH a big mess it was IMPOSSIBLE to fix it in just four years”

This. Say what you will about Trump, but he's a political genius at messaging. Meanwhile Biden's got dementia and is trotted out by his handlers for speeches. It's elder abuse.
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 06:03:56 AM »

This. Say what you will about Trump, but he's a political genius at messaging. Meanwhile Biden's got dementia and is trotted out by his handlers for speeches. It's elder abuse.
Don't forgot Trump know how to make a meme
I remember when trump visited a chick-fil-a in Georgia and people were talking about it and making memes of it meanwhile People are only seeing Biden when he make a gaffe or a mistake.
GAinDC

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 06:20:22 AM »

We’re still emerging from a major crisis that totally upended our economy. It makes sense that people don’t feel great about the economy.

So, it sort of is based on vibes, but it really has been a weird 4 years for the economy.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 07:11:13 AM »

I can buy it. There's a massive silver lining for Biden though, which is that there's really only room for growth for here, and that chart ends four months ago. I expect his numbers will be much more comparable to Trump's come November if the economy continues to grow as anticipated.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies