Do people honestly believe that WV...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:53:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Do people honestly believe that WV...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do people honestly believe that WV...  (Read 3234 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »

has become a state that just reflexively votes for the candidate with an "R" next to their name and basically ignores the issues? Because it seems many here do.

I still stand by saying Giuliani can not win WV. Just look at their popular governor. He's basically the polar opposite to Giuliani on every issue.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »

Unless the Republican nominee is Rudy and the Democrats nominate Edwards, West Virginia will vote Republican.  They would definetly go for Romney and he'd be the only one where it would be close.  Fred Thompson would easily garner 55+%
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:27:49 PM »

NV and CO would vote Democratic before WV.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:29:05 PM »

Once again, I receive no reasons as to why. I've yet to discover what type of appeal Giuliani has in WV. Maybe they all think they'll be won over by his record of adultery.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »

I doubt it will go to someone like Rudy, unless the political enviorment will change drasticlly between now and than.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »

I think the rural, white, religious nature of the state does make a Democratic win unlikely unless the Democrat has a strong southern accent and is a white protestant male. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:35:02 PM »

Once again, I receive no reasons as to why. I've yet to discover what type of appeal Giuliani has in WV. Maybe they all think they'll be won over by his record of adultery.

Heh, heh.  There's something funny about the insistance that West Virginia will vote for a Clinton because they're so disapproving of adultery.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 02:18:51 PM »

Unless the Republican nominee is Rudy and the Democrats nominate Edwards, West Virginia will vote Republican.  They would definetly go for Romney and he'd be the only one where it would be close.  Fred Thompson would easily garner 55+%
West Virginia would not go for Romney. Mainly because he is a mormon.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:25:14 PM »

NV and CO would vote Democratic before WV.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 05:00:37 PM »

I think of all the states where Romney would underperform, West Virginia would be his worst.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »

Why do you keep assuming Giuliani will be the Republican nominee?  I strongly doubt he will, so basing what will happen in the general election on that assumption is ludicrous.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »

Why do you keep assuming Giuliani will be the Republican nominee?  I strongly doubt he will, so basing what will happen in the general election on that assumption is ludicrous.

I doubt he will either, but plenty here think WV will vote Republican no matter what.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »

bottom line:

rudy  1. loves the lord  2. loves a jingoistic foreign policy  3.  is for law and order (keeping minorities from getting too uppity)

why wouldnt he do well in the wv?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 09:43:15 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2007, 09:46:56 PM by Absinthe Party At The Fly Honey Warehouse »

Point 1 - Not compared to the Dems running.
Points 2 and 3 - Take a look at the 1988 results.

Why wouldn't he do well? Because he's an anti-union, pro-choice, gun grabber. And it's guns and abortion that delivered WV to Bush both times.

And while people can throw stereotypes around all they like, anti-minority sentiment doesn't play a huge role in 95% white states.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »

Why wouldn't he do well? Because he's an anti-union, pro-choice, gun grabber. And it's guns and abortion that delivered WV to Bush both times.

he isnt really pro choice.  he said he 'wouldnt mind' roe v. wade being overturned.

he certainly isnt a 'gun grabber' either.  he believes in reasonable gun restrictions, that most normals would also agree with.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »

bottom line:

rudy  1. loves the lord  2. loves a jingoistic foreign policy  3.  is for law and order (keeping minorities from getting too uppity)

Dirty Catholics don't love the Lord, they love the Pope!

First off, Giuliani has never been particularly loud about his religion, less so indeed than any of the other candidates, all of the major Democrats included. "Loves the lord" is, well, from the perspective of your average West Virginian, not true.

Secondly, how much West Virginia supports jingoism is not at all clear. Certainly there has been a backlash of late in states like West Virginia and Michigan that rely on heavy government spending to stay afloat against the expenses of Iraq that have drained federal money pouring into those states.

Finally, West Virginia has never struck me as much of a law-and-order state. More so than, say, Alaska or New Hampshire, but it's no Texas or Florida in that sense.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 09:50:27 PM »

he isnt really pro choice.  he said he 'wouldnt mind' roe v. wade being overturned.

he certainly isnt a 'gun grabber' either.  he believes in reasonable gun restrictions, that most normals would also agree with.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »

bottom line:

Dirty Catholics don't love the Lord, they love the Pope!

1960 wv democrat primary.  kennedy vs. humphrey.  i think we know how that turned out
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 09:58:11 PM »

Pandering. He's said too much in the past. No matter what his position is too lukewarm and flip-flopped too much to be much of a benefit in WV.

He basically has the same position on the issue as Al Gore and John Kerry.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 10:03:20 PM »

Pandering. He's said too much in the past. No matter what his position is too lukewarm and flip-flopped too much to be much of a benefit in WV.

He basically has the same position on the issue as Al Gore and John Kerry.

al gores position on coal hurt him more in wv than his gun positions.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 12:13:19 AM »

Maybe because he has led the Republican pack almost all along?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 12:40:31 AM »

The answer is states rights, WV believed strongly in states rights and all republicans have said they believe in the rule of federalism, states rights. All of the conservatives on the Supreme Crt believe in states rights. All of the republicans have said roe should be left to the states to decide, as well as the confederate flag. And WV even  back in the 1800's took states rights issues.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 01:01:10 AM »

I think the rural, white, religious nature of the state does make a Democratic win unlikely unless the Democrat has a strong southern accent and is a white protestant male. 

Seems like a decent point.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 01:10:14 AM »

West Virginia starting during Reagan, were moving in the republicans direction, but it tended to vote based on trends rather than ideology. But once Bush captured it in 2000, it started to vote more ideological, just like MO.
'
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 01:21:23 AM »

Maybe because he has led the Republican pack almost all along?

And when the others start dropping out, will their support go to him or one of his opponents?  I'm thinking it'll go largely to his other opponents.  Rudy's almost certain to come to the convention with the second largest number of delegates.  Enough to earn him serious consideration as a running mate, but nothing more.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies