My Al Gore Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:01:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  My Al Gore Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: My Al Gore Timeline  (Read 9514 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2007, 10:27:33 AM »

I was watching a video on the 2000 election yesterday I found when I was cleaning out my study and thought I would take a stab as others have at writing an if Al Gore was elected timeline.  Except, I'm going to start back right after the primaries occur.  It starts May 18th, with the announcment on May 19th that Rudy Giuilani would not run never coming.

On May 18, 2000, Rudy Giuilani announces that despite a diagnosis of prostate cancer, he feels he can continue in the race and this sets up a huge showdown between Rudy Giuliani and Hillary Clinton.  The polls show this race as of so far:

Bush 46%
Gore 44%
Nader 2%
Undecided 8%

Everyone believes this race will come down to a few key states including FL, NM, NH, OR, WI, and PA.  The VP nominees could have a huge effect on this.  Gore is the first to make his annoucement and he chooses up and coming pro-gun Vermont Gov. Howard Dean.  Many feel Gore chose him to try and sure up the Northeast, especially appealing the pro-gun crowd in New Hampshire.  Bush later announces his choice and to the suprise of many Bush picks Fmr. Sec. of State James Baker.  Many had speculated this might be Bush's choice if Baker announced a few days earlier he was moving from Texas to Arkansas.  Both party are rather happy with the VP choices and the following poll is released by Mason-Dixon:

Gore/Dean  45%
Bush/Baker  44%
Nader            2%
Undecided     7%

What is amazing though is a Mason-Dixon poll released for New Hampshire shows Gore has jumped out to an eight point lead.  The conventions come and go, each candidate getting a bump from their convention.  Then the election:

The race is tetter-tottering back and forth with three states left to call, West Virginia, Oregon, and Florida.  (NH already went for Gore).  Bush must win Florida and another to win the election.  If Gore wins Oregon or Florida he wins, and if he wins West Virginia there is a tie.  Bush is currently leading in all three states.  Then at 1:04 AM Wednesday, West Viriginia is called for Bush, however, Oregon is moving in Gore's favor.  At 3:32 AM, Buhs is declared the victor in Florida.  At 3:35, by a margin of 18,000 votes, Al Gore is declared the winner in Oregon, and therefore the winner of the presidency.  Al Gore is the 43rd president of the United States of America.  Senate races go the same as before, except Rudy Giuilani defeats Hillary Clinton 51-47 in New York giving the Republicans a 51-49 advantage.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 11:55:28 AM »

Gore holds his inaguration and annouces that this is a time that a bitterly divided country needs to be united together.  He annouces that as a gesture of bipartisanship, he will appoint Fmr. Gen. Colin Powell as his Sec. of Defense.  He will focus the beginning of his term on reforming health care and other things he considers social ills.

Everything goes fine until late July when Gore receives word that al-Qaeda is planning an attack in the United States.  Gore okays a bombing of Tora Bora in Afghanistan.  The offensive continues until early September when al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is killed.  Many Americans are unaware of the organization and do not see this is that big of an event.

However, early on September 11, 2001, a plane crashes in the World Trade Center.  News agencies report that witness say it is a small private plane and a bad accident.  However, at 9:03 a second plane hits the other tower and Americans realize this is not accident.  The media immeidatley speculates that the attack is a result of intagonizing them and killing their leader.  The blame is placed on Gore and people are furious with him.  Gore then leaves Washington on Air Force One and leaves VP Dean is charge of operations.  Gore calls for all planes to be grounded at 9:13.  However, at 9:37 another plane strikes this time hitting the pentagon.  A few planes are still out there including Flight 93 where the passengers are phoning to say that they have been hijacked.  Minutes later while the passengers look to have succesfully overthrown the hijackers and tell loves when they are going to land the plane, two F-16 fighter jets shoot it down causing great outrage.  On top of that, New York City Mark Green is unsure of what he is supposed in this situation and decides to just close all of NYC and tells residents to evacuate to the suburbs.  Gore closes down all the national landmarks.  How will this unfold?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:53:42 AM »

Even though no one has reponsed I am enjoying writing this and will continue:

The country is now in total chaos and no one knows when the next attack is going to occur.  Gore has scrambled all fighter jets and is beginning to station the national guard at points of interest.  People near the borders of Canada and Mexico are scrambling to leave the country as the media is saying that Gore has no control over the situation.  Just when it is thought that the attacks are over, another plane crashes straight into the Seattle space needle now panicking the west coast as to what will happen.  After the day is done, the country is now in a state of shock and not knowing what to do.  People seem to be united that Gore's attacks on al-Qaeda, thought meaningless by his opponents, are what caused these attacks.  Gore's approval rating plummets to 24% from 72%

Gore calls a speech in the next few days to explain what is going on.  He defends his decision to take out Osama bin Laden saying the attack took a long-time to plan and would have happened either way.  People are not willing to believe this and Gore seems to be renoundly hated.  Even Senator minority leader Tom Daschle calls for Gore to step down.  However, he does not.  Instead he declares "war on terror" and sends troops into Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Yemen.  Many question this decision and say it is time to end this encouraging of new terrorists.  In the 2002 midterms, the Dems are crushed and the results that differ are as follows;

AR: Tim Hutchinson defeats his seat not getting a strong challenger
MN: Wellstone lives but is defeated by Coleman
SD: John Thune narrowly edges Tim Johnson
LA: Rep. Bobby Jindal defeats Mary Landrieu 54-46 in a runoff.
MT: Gov. Marc Racicot defeats incumbent Max Baucus
TN: Fred Thompson does not retire

The Republicans gain 8 seats sending them to 58 and Democrats look to be in huge trouble.  Following the elections, Gore's approval has dropped to 11% and he says a big annoucement is coming.  More to follow..
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:11:58 AM »

great story so far.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 02:02:03 PM »

Umm, I think the American people are not smart enough to understand the idea of blowback in foreign policy (even Giuliani doesn't seem to get it).

An 11% approval rating after 9/11, I don't think so.

This is yet again another one of your Democratic implosion scenarios.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »

Great story.  At what point does Al Gore get arrested for treason?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »

Great story.  At what point does Al Gore get arrested for treason?

Possbily later, however, this is just showing an exaggerated story of what could have happened to him.  It is basically showing how Bush had bad breaks and Gore could have them too and how the media spins things instead of letting the military do what they must.  The coincidence of killing bin Laden and then that being to blame is the same as the WMDs being moved we went to Iraq
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 05:50:52 PM »

Let me guess, this is just you recording one of those dreams you had where you woke up and had to wash your comforter, right?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »

Umm, I think the American people are not smart enough to understand the idea of blowback in foreign policy (even Giuliani doesn't seem to get it).

'

good point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 09:45:26 PM »

It is safe to say that even had Gore done a much better job handling 9/11 than Bush, his approval rating would have never gotten near 91%. If he had ignored an August 6th, 2001 memo titled "Bin Laden determined to strike in US", Al would be looking at about an 11% approval rating.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 09:54:33 PM »

Let me guess, this is just you recording one of those dreams you had where you woke up and had to wash your comforter, right?

You're close, but you've forgotten one key fact...DWTL's parents (partly because I assume they're italian, and partly because DWTL was a bedwetter) cover their furniture, beds and all, in plastic.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »

It is kind of cute, though and just comes to show that the media is not about ideology, but just a good story.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »

Just a few days after the election Al Gore, as promised annouces that he is recognizing the country is not supportive of his policies and he is here to serve the nation.  He annouces a phased withdrawal of United States will occur in Yemen and Pakistan with United States forces completly out of the region by July 2003.  He says, however, troops that were stationed in Iran will now be moved the Afghanistan immediatley to overthrow the Taliban.  Many praise this decision but the next one Gore reveals that is most shocking.  He annouces that he will not be seeking a second term in 2004 and instead will support whoever the Democratic party puts forward.  After the speech and the decisions his approval rating goes up to a still miserable 26%.  It seems the tide is turning against the Democratic party for the time being.  The frontrunners on both sides at this point are Gov. George W. Bush (R-TX) and Sen. Tom Daschle (D-SD).

The plan goes quite well and the troops slowly return home to the delight of most of the American public.  Gore had planned to concentrate his time in office on the environment and health care, but those are still taking a back seat.  In July, the final troops return home and Gore approvals climbs back up to 37%.  But the most shocking development comes in September when America annouces it has overthrown the government in Afghanistan.  It seems that by August 2004 they will conduct free elections.  For the time being, the United States appoints Abdullah Abdullah, head of the Northern Alliance, as the interim president of Afghanistan.  After this Gore's approval has hit 50%.

Now in October 2003, the primary polls show as follows (includes all annouced candidates):

Democrats:
Sen. Tom Daschle 58%
Sen. John Edwards 12%
Sen. John Kerry 10%
Gov. Ed Rendell 8%
Undecided 12%

Republicans:
Gov. George W. Bush 78%
Gov. George Pataki 12%
Undecided 10%

This polls hold pretty steady and the country is ready for a Bush/Daschle matchup, however, in January 2004, just weeks before New Hampshire, President Al Gore announces he has changed his mind and will be running for reelection.  A bloody primary ensues in which somehow Gore comes out the winner.  Bush easily wins his primaries.  Gore again chooses Dean as his VP but this time Bush chooses Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts.  Who will win?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 02:09:44 PM »

The Democrats are incredibly split and many refuse to attend the convention and are ashamed of Gore for going back on his word.  However, the Republicans could probably not be more united.  However, the Republicans look like they will lose the House as many see Bush winning as inevitable and a 60 seat majority in the senate, so they will vote Democrat for the House.  Polls as of June 2004:

Bush/Romney 58%
Gore/Dean 32%
Nader 9%
Undecided 1%

Many are looking for a credible third party challenger from the to step in, but many feel at this time that is unrealistic.  So it seems to the country as if Bush will go pretty much unchallenged, and that is what happens:

Bush/Romney    500 EV   54%
Gore/Dean           38 EV   36%
Nader/LaMarche    0 EV    10%

2004 Senate races that changed:
LA: Suzanne Hank Terrill def. Mary Landrieu by just over 250 votes in a runoff in Louisiana
MN: Paul Wellstone lives and defeats Norm Coleman
MT: Marc Racicot def. Max Baucus 52-47

Republicans now have 60 seats
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 02:23:11 PM »

Okay, let me get this straight.

In 2002, Wellstone lives and is defeated by Coleman, but he makes a stunning comeback in 2004 to take his seat back?

Also, in 2002 Rep. Bobby Jindal (who's seat does he hold?), defeats Sen. Mary Landrieu, but she runs again in 2004 and loses?

Also, a Marc Racicot vs. Max Baucus campaign can only happen once every six years, atleast for a Senate race.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »

In 2002, Wellstone lives and is defeated by Coleman, but he makes a stunning comeback in 2004 to take his seat back?

Also, in 2002 Rep. Bobby Jindal (who's seat does he hold?), defeats Sen. Mary Landrieu, but she runs again in 2004 and loses?

Also, a Marc Racicot vs. Max Baucus campaign can only happen once every six years, atleast for a Senate race.

Damn, I was hoping no one would pick up on it after I realized I used the 2004 senate results for 2002 and then tried to use them again.  Oh well, looks like this timeline is dead.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 02:33:17 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2007, 02:39:23 PM by AndrewCT »

Damn, I was hoping no one would pick up on it after I realized I used the 2004 senate results for 2002 and then tried to use them again.  Oh well, looks like this timeline is dead.

No, keep it going. I think it's good. I like reading these while working on my new timeline. I pretty much retired mine. It's hard to keep going after 2012, because I keep forgeting who should have retired by than, or who should be dead by than, blah blah blah.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 05:19:10 PM »

No, keep it going. I think it's good. I like reading these while working on my new timeline. I pretty much retired mine. It's hard to keep going after 2012, because I keep forgeting who should have retired by than, or who should be dead by than, blah blah blah.

Ok, but for 2002 the assumption will be the Republicans gained two seats in 2002 and then bumped up the huge margins in 2004 that I mentioned before.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 02:41:10 PM »

OMG how did I guess that Gore would lose in a landslide in 2004?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 04:01:20 PM »

So let me guess, the Democrats also lose 2008 and then disband and America is sent into eternal prosperity through the benevolent one-party leadership of the Republicans.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 07:41:13 PM »

So let me guess, the Democrats also lose 2008 and then disband and America is sent into eternal prosperity through the benevolent one-party leadership of the Republicans.

Way, way, way too predicatble, however, the Democrats as always will fade into oblivion, but the Republicans will as well.  The Libertarians and the Populists will become the major parties.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 10:17:24 AM »

Update, the two 2004 changes were not what was mentioned before but this:

IL: Mike Ditka def. Barack Obama
FL: Betty Castor def. Mel Martinez

Republicans gain 4 seats and now have 60 in the senate however it happens

George W. Bush begins his term as president by saying that a mandate has been given to him and that the country needs to be brought in a direct of "compassionate conservatism", however, for the beginning it looks as if Bush is acting as more of a populist than a conservative.  He starts by pushing a gay marriage amendment through the senate, but it narrowly fails 63-37, four votes shy of the needed 67.  Blance Lincoln, Ben Nelson, and Robert Byrd break ranks with the Democrats.  Bush continues by reforming prescription drugs and boosting spending for national security.  Quickly within a few months Bush is gaining a lot of critics on the right.  His approvals still stand at about 65%, but conservatives are hoping he will soon push for the spending cuts and such that he had promised for when his term began.  Instead the next issue Bush decides to bring up is the Flag Burning Amendment, while this excites conservatives, they want to see the fiscal responsiblity that Bush promised.  In September 2005, news comes that Chief Justice William Rehnquist has died and that Bush must now choose a succesor.  In line for the position are Judge John Roberts, Deputy Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, Judge Priscilla Owens, and Sen. Arlen Specter.  To the chagrin of many conservatives, Bush selects Gonzalez, who is hailed as the third most conservative more conservative than only Specter.  Gonzalez passes through the senate, but conservatives are starting to become angry.  They are even more infuriated when Bush passes up Thomas and Scalia for Souter as the chief justice.  Strict constitutionalists are outraged.  The outrage starts to spill into congress and many feel something must stop this.  In January 2006, Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) annouces that he will be running as a Libertarian for the senate seat in Texas that will be vacated by retiring Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson.  It will be a three-way race between Republican Rep. Pete Sessions, Democratic Rep Henry Cuellar, and Ron Paul.  It is seem as the Libertarians first chance to gain a seat in a national office.  More to follow
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 10:59:18 AM »

Oh, the Democratic demise has started.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 11:01:42 AM »

Actually, the Republicans are the ones that are demising, the Democrats really already demised in this scenario.  Hint: Ron Paul is going to win, I already stated Republicans and Dems will slowly be phased out
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 09:11:50 AM »

Working with the sixty seat majority, the Republican senate still is listening to the president's ideas, but they are starting to get a little angry with the lack of economic conservative policies being pushed through.  Annoucing he too is get angry with this, Steve Forbes annouces he will be running as a Libertarian in New Jersey.  Many feel this dooms the campaign of St. Sen. Tom Kean Jr, but Forbes says he must do this to try and make the Libertarians a force to be reckon with.  Bush continues to ignore these requests and his approval is dipping below 50%, it looks as if the Republicans are going to lose big time in the 2006 midterms.  The results that differ from actual 2006 are as follows:

PA: Rick Santorum does not draw a great challenger and defeats a sacrificial lamb after Bob Casey Jr. withdraws for personal reasons in late September
RI: Lincoln Chafee survives
ME: Olympia Snowe retires and is replaced by Democrat Tom Allen
VA: George Allen wins
MD: Michael Steele wins
TX: Ron Paul defs. his GOP and Dem challengers 42-30-27 (Libertarians first seat)
NJ: Menendez defs. Kean and Forbes 47-41-11
TN: Harold Ford Jr defs. Bob Corker

55-42-3
Republicans lose five seats net but more importantly lose the Texas seat to an Independent, it looks as if 2008 will be the really bad year for Republicans.  Libertarians, fresh off their victory, annouce that Lincoln Chafee and Arlen Specter have defected to them, making the senate count 53 Republicans, 42 Democrats, 3 Libertarians, 2 Independents.  It also appears they will make a strong push in the 2008 presiential election.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies