Cameron seeks to help heal 'Breakdown Britain' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:26:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Cameron seeks to help heal 'Breakdown Britain' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cameron seeks to help heal 'Breakdown Britain'  (Read 1501 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« on: July 15, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
« edited: July 15, 2007, 06:13:39 PM by Michael Z »

I recall a former Conservative prime minister saying that there "is no such thing as society". I disagreed with her knowing full well that a "broken society" would come to fruition courtesy of neo-liberal dogma. Families broke down as communities, and the industries on which they were based, declined heavily

I agree that the cost of welfare dependency is high, but that is something Labour inherited rather than created. There hasn't been enough done reducing that

In many respects what Cameron is saying ought to be pushing the right buttons with me, but it isn't. And I remain sceptical as to whether the Conservative Party has genuinely, or more importantly sincerely, changed for the better

Dave

I agree with this - Cameron is basically addressing a social malaise that was primarily caused by Thatcherite policies. Not exclusively, of course, but definitely to a large extent.

In other words, why we should trust the Tories to sort out a mess that was predominantly caused by Tory policies* is beyond me.

(*I understand that New Labour did not help but they're basically a slightly altered version of the Thatcherites anyhow.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies