What is Hillary thinking in PA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:46:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What is Hillary thinking in PA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is Hillary thinking in PA?  (Read 2086 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:56:21 PM »

We aren't moving our primary up here so there is really no point for this.

The other day, Hillary formally accepted the endorsement of a bunch of Philly area officials. The big endorsement came from outgoing Mayor Street. Street is incredibly unpopular in the city even amongst Dems (even black Dems). Those reasons are enough to downplay a Street endorsment but if that's not good enough, the fact that PA will have no relevance in the 2008 primaries should be. Accepting the endorsment in such a public way makes absolutely no sense.

So what was she thinking?

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »

Maybe she was pushing for the "I'm a white person trying to act black" vote.

When I see those hand signs...I wanna start breakin' fingers.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:07:02 PM »

Maybe she was pushing for the "I'm a white person trying to act black" vote.

When I see those hand signs...I wanna start breakin' fingers.

Are you done (being an idiot)?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 07:12:44 PM »

It boggles my mind that Hillary often attempts politcal suicide and still gets away with it in the polls.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 07:22:54 PM »

Maybe that's who Street plans to give his Iphone over to, ha ha...eh.

Well, Street is black,and Hillary wants to blunt Obama's momemetum with black voters. Even thogh he's not that popular, I think people will see his Endorsement more as a slap in the face of Obama then anything that really aids Hillary's campaign.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »

Maybe that's who Street plans to give his Iphone over to, ha ha...eh.

Well, Street is black,and Hillary wants to blunt Obama's momemetum with black voters. Even thogh he's not that popular, I think people will see his Endorsement more as a slap in the face of Obama then anything that really aids Hillary's campaign.

I understand that point but I'd still be more satisfied if I was Obama in this situation. He should have made a statement applauding Street's decision to back his rival.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 07:30:16 PM »

Speaking of the Mayor, I saw the next Mayor while downtown today. He can be seen without security detail or advisors, just walking around on his cell. He walked right up to me and my friend while he was in the middle of a conversation since he noticed us talking about him. You have to see the reaction this man gets from people on the streets. The man who was once thought of as the most awkward guy in the city is now a true celebrity.

He was at a Hillary fundraiser a few weeks ago but I'm thinking that he's staying neutral in this one or at least not backing Hillary. If he was endorsing her, he would have been at this event.
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »

Speaking of the Mayor, I saw the next Mayor while downtown today. He can be seen without security detail or advisors, just walking around on his cell. He walked right up to me and my friend while he was in the middle of a conversation since he noticed us talking about him. You have to see the reaction this man gets from people on the streets. The man who was once thought of as the most awkward guy in the city is now a true celebrity.

He was at a Hillary fundraiser a few weeks ago but I'm thinking that he's staying neutral in this one or at least not backing Hillary. If he was endorsing her, he would have been at this event.
You get double the impact when you have two seperate events at sizeable time differences. Plus, double the news coverage.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2007, 08:21:48 PM by Boris »

This is probably a non-issue, more or less designed for Hillary to rack up her endorsements numerically. By the time the Pennsylvania Primary roles around, no one will remember or care about this. I'm sure Clinton still leads by double digits throughout Pennsylvania.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:22:39 PM »

This is probably a non-issue, more or less designed for Hillary to rack up her endorsements numerically. By the time the Pennsylvania Primary roles around, no one will remember or care about this. I'm sure Clinton still leads by double digits throughout Pennsylvania.

She does still lead but why risk things? Why embrace such an unpopular figure? He's not popular among blacks anymore and he is despised by whites since he is a blatant racist.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »

Does he have enough of a political machine that it would be worth having it working for her in the general election?  If the general turns out to be close, Pennsylvania will be a battleground state again.  I doubt many voters will be worrying about the time of when certain Democrats and Hillary embraced, so I can't see any likely downside.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:23:44 PM »

*double takes*

SAY WHA? Someone took Street's endorsement? Oh Geezuz! That even makes me less happy with Clinton. This is just dumb, dumb, dumb.Not only is the primary irrelevant, but this wont help at all in the general. I can see the flyers now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 10:54:36 PM »

Does he have enough of a political machine that it would be worth having it working for her in the general election? 

Not any more and that was proven when he couldn't get his son a spot on the Dem Council at Large ticket.

Isn't that photo I posted lovely?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 11:39:25 PM »

Its more than enough to sink a whole campaign. Angry
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 02:03:25 AM »

I guess Clinton is willing to take any black endorsements she can get... maybe Obama didn't want his.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 04:47:44 AM »

*double takes*

SAY WHA? Someone took Street's endorsement? Oh Geezuz! That even makes me less happy with Clinton. This is just dumb, dumb, dumb.Not only is the primary irrelevant, but this wont help at all in the general. I can see the flyers now.

Street would be a good running mate.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 05:03:39 AM »

*double takes*

A woman AND a black man at once? The Democrats aren't that stupid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 07:08:14 AM »

I forget - what's the problem with Street?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 09:24:11 AM »

It's not the fact that he's black, you ignorant moron.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »

*double takes*

Are you still talking?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 09:29:50 AM »

First of all, that's all the name calling for today. Secondly, I know that, but I was stating another separate claim.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 09:48:03 AM »

First of all, that's all the name calling for today. Secondly, I know that, but I was stating another separate claim.

Try not to pretend that you're writing a speech every time you manage to come up with two sentences of literate material.

I know what claim you're making, and it's a stupid one.  To be fair, though, you are exactly the kind of person who would feel umcomfortable voting for a ticket with both a woman and a black guy on it, regardless of whether you're going to admit it.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 09:56:18 AM »

*double takes*

It's statements like this that actually make me yearn for a Clinton/Obama ticket. It would wipe the floor with anyone the GOP can put up this time around.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 10:28:20 AM »

*double takes*

It's statements like this that actually make me yearn for a Clinton/Obama ticket. It would wipe the floor with anyone the GOP can put up this time around.

Not really. It would be atleast as close as 2000/2004. The South and most of the West would remain solid Republican, with the same old "swing states" deciding.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »

Try not to pretend that you're writing a speech every time you manage to come up with two sentences of literate material.

I know what claim you're making, and it's a stupid one.  To be fair, though, you are exactly the kind of person who would feel umcomfortable voting for a ticket with both a woman and a black guy on it, regardless of whether you're going to admit it.

Not at all. I don't like Obama because he's a liberal Democrat. I would gladly cast my vote for Condi Rice or Colin Powell if they were the GOP Nominee.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies