The Great Falls Tribune: Rehberg says he will not run for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:39:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Great Falls Tribune: Rehberg says he will not run for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Great Falls Tribune: Rehberg says he will not run for Senate  (Read 1054 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2007, 09:59:38 AM »

WASHINGTON — Republican Rep. Denny Rehberg will not challenge Montana Sen. Max Baucus in 2008, the state Republican party announced Thursday.

In a statement issued by the GOP, Rehberg said he will not be a candidate for Senate or governor next year.

“Speculation to the contrary only serves as a distraction from the strong candidates that Montana Republicans will field for each of these important races,” Rehberg said. “I remain completely focused on my job as Montana’s congressman.”

Baucus, a five-term Democrat, had raised a total of $4.4 million by the first quarter of this year — making him formidable to potential challengers. Baucus is chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, a position that traditionally draws campaign donations from a wide variety of interests.

Democratic Gov. Brian Schweitzer is also up for re-election in 2008, but few speculated that Rehberg would challenge him.

Former House Majority Leader Michael Lange has announced he will run against Baucus, but the GOP field is still considered to be wide open.

Lange, made famous by a profanity-laced tirade against Schweitzer that made the rounds on YouTube, has already acknowledged he faces an uphill fight. He was ousted by his Republican colleagues after the outburst.

The state Republican party has fallen on tough times in past years. In addition to Lange’s dismissal, three-term Republican Sen. Conrad Burns was narrowly defeated by Democrat Jon Tester in last year’s election.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Baucus would not comment on Rehberg’s announcement.

“My job is to represent Montana and to represent Montana as best I can, irrespective of anything else,” he said.

Rehberg unsuccessfully challenged Baucus in 1996. He then went on to win the state’s House seat in 2000.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070705/NEWS01/70705010
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »

He's a smart man. Best to wait another 4 years to take on the Governors seat (I believe Schwietzer is term limited), or take on Tester.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 05:45:29 PM »

He's a smart man. Best to wait another 4 years to take on the Governors seat (I believe Schwietzer is term limited), or take on Tester.

I think Rehberg will run for Governor. I'm not sure that he could wait that long to take on Tester.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:26:17 PM »

Tester is up for reelection the same year Schweitzer's second term ends.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:31:34 AM »

Safe Dem.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 08:10:51 AM »

I think Rehberg will run for Governor. I'm not sure that he could wait that long to take on Tester.

Like BRTD said, they will be up at the same time. He might want to run for Governor, but he will be HEAVILY recruited by the Republicans to try and capture that other seat. The only way he won't run against Tester, and will run for Governor is if by 2012, Test has HUGE approval ratings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies