Diplomacy: Abstract Variant - Planning
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 06:58:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Diplomacy: Abstract Variant - Planning
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Diplomacy: Abstract Variant - Planning  (Read 1627 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »
« edited: July 06, 2007, 09:06:05 PM by ilikeverin »

Alright, I'd be willing to host a variant game of Diplomacy.  The abstract variants have always interested me, so we have quite a range to choose from!  Here are four options I like, plus Lewis's rather convoluted-but-I-suppose-doable variant.

A. Crystal Ball Diplomacy (7 players)

Orders are submitted in advance (so Fall orders are made before Spring), people may make as many orders as they'd like (though some will be ignored), units may be "proxied out" to other powers (which is confusing).

B. Twilight Zone Diplomacy (7 players, though I figure it may not be so difficult to revise this)

Each player submits a map before the game starts; the maps have a few restrictions, but not too many.  They can then use that map, or any other map, to make their orders.

C. 1942 (4 players, though it's possible it might be modded upwards)

Only I have the full map.  Players discover what (most of) the map looks like in the course of play, and are given some assistance in this task.

D. Algernon Diplomacy (any amount of players)

Only I have the full map.  Players discover what the map looks like in the course of play, but they are given very little assistance in this task.  They won't even know the condition of their home centers!

E. Life Diplomacy (7 players)

It's Conway's Game of Life + Diplomacy all put together!  Units are created if three units border a country.  Units die if anything but two units border them.

So, who wants to sign up?  Players playing in the current Diplomacy game won't be given spots unless we have a shortfall after a week.  I might also give Gabu, Lewis, and (soon-to-be) Ernest preference because their roles in the ongoing Diplomacy game must frustrate them if they want to play a whole game Smiley

When you sign up, please preference the variants.  We'll use IRV to compute the results, or something Tongue  Write-ins are acceptable, though I might decide to veto any variant I don't particularly care for (I like abstraction/weirdness, remember Smiley)

(should 1492 be used, we'll just, uh, panic if more than 4 people sign up? Wink)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:08:52 PM »

A basic mod to add a fifth player to 1492 would be to add the Kalmar Union and give them fleets in Denmark and Norway and an army in Sweden,
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 02:27:18 AM »

I like the 1942 idea...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies