Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 01:13:52 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  The Budget
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Budget  (Read 2700 times)
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:36:49 am »
Ignore

As I understand it, it remains a constitutional requirement for the Senate to still consider the idea of passing a budget at this time.

I believe the pertinant details are contained in Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution.

The 4th Amendment vote shall be the first matter for discussion. That being: "The Senate must approve each and every Budget before considering any bill or constitutional amendment. However, the Senate may, by a vote of two-thirds of its number, waive this requirement."

The budget, according to the contstitution, takes precedence over other matters. No new legislation shall be introduced onto the floor until either the above motion is passed, or failing that, a budget is decided.

I am actually unsure whether any debate time is required for this vote. In a surge of vigor and decisiveness, I've decided to open the vote immediately. Objections with legal grounding will be listened to on this point though and actions may be taken accordingly.

Please vote aye, nay or abtsain on the motion.

Funny 'cause it's true:
Very few people seriously allow facts to affect their opinions.

Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:41:26 am »
Ignore

Aye in that we continue with other Senate business while we are discussing the budget.

A Republican - at least for a little while
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 11:07:40 am »
Ignore

Aye. The introduction of the budget into the game was one of the worst decisions we've made yet (and yes, I'm well aware that I'm partially to blame for that...)

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 11:41:37 am »
Ignore

Aye, the budget would be a giant waste of time and not interesting at all

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:32:23 pm »
Ignore

Aye.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 12:59:24 pm »
Ignore

Aye

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 01:35:08 pm »
Ignore

Aye.  I'm kinda with Al on this one, even though I know I was one of the main people responsible.  Tongue

I do wish that we would pass some sort of budget, but just kind of generally.  I think I'll be looking over Article 1, Section 8 to simplify the process and make it routine, rather than annoying.
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 01:38:20 pm »
Ignore

With a vote of 6-0, being exactly two-thirds of the current Senate number, the motion passes. Senate business shall proceed as normal (or as normally as Senate business ever proceeds Wink).

Senators should feel free to continue using this thread to continue Budget discussion/deliberations.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 11:18:53 pm »
Ignore

Nay for the record.

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 11:28:39 pm »
Ignore

Ah yes the budget.  It sounded fun until we found out there were numbers involved. Yuck.

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 09:11:03 pm »
Ignore

So, I'm willing to do some work on this, but I have no idea how to proceed.  The constitution requires we have a GM provide numbers.  Any ideas?

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 10:10:24 pm »
Ignore

*cough* get a GM back in place and/or remove this useless piece of Atlasian oversight *cough*

“The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can”

~~~~Dr. Paul Kurtz (1925-2012)
Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 10:13:10 pm »
Ignore

remove this useless piece of Atlasian oversight

We're trying, but some Senators (mostly ones who have never had to approve an budget before) aren't happy with the idea.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 10:15:59 pm »
Ignore

remove this useless piece of Atlasian oversight

We're trying, but some Senators (mostly ones who have never had to approve an budget before) aren't happy with the idea.
I understand that, which is why this coughing fit was directed more towards other senators, not so much yourself and your allies in this discussion.

“The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can”

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 10:37:33 pm »
Ignore

The administration's willingness to turn down good ideas simply makes my position more obstinate.  As Mr. Moderate quite aptly notes, without a GM in the present system, there's no way to move forward on this even if we wanted to.

And as I've said before, without a budget, there's no real reason to play the game, except to personally attack everyone around here - which I might do, but would get bored of very quickly.

But then again, it has been the longstanding purpose of certain members of this forum to do everything within their powers to try and drive people away, eventually resulting in the final conclusion of the game.
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 12:16:48 am »
Ignore

I don't understand why there is such staunch opposition to changing the current budget process to a simplified version when there are people here willing to take on the "chore."  Especially when its clear that there are not enough votes in the Senate to pass a constitutional amendment eliminating the budget entirely.

It seems as if people would rather see the budget totally eliminated rather than even give it a shot of working.  I understand it was a chore in the past, but I'd like to maybe have at least a chance to reform the whole process before it's scrapped forever.

I'd gladly begin work on my own version of the budget, but before I do, I'd like at least some assurance that my work won't be completely ignored, unacted on, or otherwise wholly dismissed by the "budgets are no fun" set.

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 04:15:22 am »
Ignore

The administration's willingness to turn down good ideas simply makes my position more obstinate.

Speaking for myself, I really didn't see how your proposal would change the system at all. I certainly don't see how it would be any easier than the current provisions allow; nor do I see how it would be possible without a GM or GM type person to provide numbers - numbers which at this stage any GM would just have to pull out of the air.

As Mr. Moderate quite aptly notes, without a GM in the present system, there's no way to move forward on this even if we wanted to.

And as I've said before, without a budget, there's no real reason to play the game, except to personally attack everyone around here - which I might do, but would get bored of very quickly.

Well, I disagree. The 'game' was set up as an election sim with a government sim attached. The focus is not, and should not, be on the budgetary process. It is a large amount of work, carried out by a small number of people, that nobody in Atlasia cares about.

But then again, it has been the longstanding purpose of certain members of this forum to do everything within their powers to try and drive people away, eventually resulting in the final conclusion of the game.

I put forward plenty of measures before the Senate that I hoped would help increase activity if I thought for one minute that producing a budget would provide some impetus I would strongly encourage its making.

Funny 'cause it's true:

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 05:32:19 am »
Ignore

My own problem is as i've said before, if we abolish the budget then, as we are not keeping track of what things cost why would any Senator need to provide any bill that deals in monetary terms? If I want to propose say a £15bn tax cut, why should it matter what it costs as we won't have a budget? It means if any Senator challenges the cost I can legitimately shrug my shoulders.

I don't think that makes for good practice.
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 05:46:32 am »
Ignore

My own problem is as i've said before, if we abolish the budget then, as we are not keeping track of what things cost why would any Senator need to provide any bill that deals in monetary terms? If I want to propose say a £15bn tax cut, why should it matter what it costs as we won't have a budget? It means if any Senator challenges the cost I can legitimately shrug my shoulders.

I understand and it's not an unreasonable point.

I would say though that it's asking a great deal more work from Senators to come up with realistic costings on most matters of expenditure, and it's asking the impossible to ask someone to come up with plausible tax-take projections and changes thereto when discussing changing some tax rate or other.

However, considering the fact that a budget hasn't been worked on, never mind passed, in I don't know how long - and that the game seems to be functioning fine without it, I don't accept the point that some pro-Budget speakers have made that the absence of this accounting practice renders the game worthless.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 07:02:17 pm »
Ignore

I understand and it's not an unreasonable point.

I would say though that it's asking a great deal more work from Senators to come up with realistic costings on most matters of expenditure, and it's asking the impossible to ask someone to come up with plausible tax-take projections and changes thereto when discussing changing some tax rate or other.

However, considering the fact that a budget hasn't been worked on, never mind passed, in I don't know how long - and that the game seems to be functioning fine without it, I don't accept the point that some pro-Budget speakers have made that the absence of this accounting practice renders the game worthless.
Mid 2005 is the last time we passed a budget, therefore we havent worked off a budget for about 2 years.

Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 07:09:40 pm »
Ignore

It seems as if people would rather see the budget totally eliminated rather than even give it a shot of working.

No offense, but it just sounds too similar to Tony Snow telling us to give the surge another chance in Iraq.

The budget process simply doesn't work.  The less often it is required, the less often you will have to hold a waiver vote.  But it won't mean that a budget is finally passed.

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 03:38:22 am »
Ignore

It seems as if people would rather see the budget totally eliminated rather than even give it a shot of working.

No offense, but it just sounds too similar to Tony Snow telling us to give the surge another chance in Iraq.

The budget process simply doesn't work.  The less often it is required, the less often you will have to hold a waiver vote.  But it won't mean that a budget is finally passed.

The major difference here is that "Tony Snow" is the one asking to be sent to Iraq to fight the war himself without requesting a cent of government money.

Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 04:27:06 am »
Ignore

These are the figures we'd be working with.
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=31761.msg772559#msg772559

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout