de Vellepin gets caught
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:54:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  de Vellepin gets caught
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: de Vellepin gets caught  (Read 2084 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »

From The Times
July 6, 2007

De Villepin likely to face conspiracy charges
Charles Bremner in Paris

Police searched the home of Dominique de Villepin, the former French Prime Minister, yesterday as judges appeared close to charging him with conspiring to implicate Nicolas Sarkozy, now the President, in a corruption scandal. Criminal charges are thought likely after examining judges unearthed new evidence that appears to put Mr de Villepin, 56, close to the heart of the so-called Clearstream affair.

The scandal, under investigation since 2005, involves forged bank records that suggested falsely that Mr Sarkozy and other senior figures had received big bribes in the sale of French warships to Taiwan.

Mr de Villepin was serving as Foreign and then Interior Minister and Mr Sarkozy, his rival for the future presidency, was Finance, then Interior Minister.

The affair poisoned the already strained relations between Mr de Villepin, the protégé of Mr Chirac, and the President’s mutinous subordinate, who was intent on succeeding him.

Investigating judges and police arrived yesterday afternoon at the expensive Paris apartment building where Mr de Villepin lives.

They were acting on material that was extracted last week from erased data on an intelligence officer’s computer. This added to evidence that Mr Chirac had been briefed on the affair at the time, according to leaked judicial transcripts. Two weeks ago the former President refused to obey a judicial summons for questioning over the case. His lawyers argued that he was immune from inquiries into any acts undertaken during his presidency.

Mr de Villepin, a career civil servant who lost his government post after Mr Sarkozy’s election in May, insisted that he had no role in circulating the false bank data. “In response to the false allegations of recent days . . . Dominique de Villepin repeats that he never sought to investigate nor compromise any political figure in the Clearstream affair,” his lawyers said.

The former Prime Minister also repeated earlier denials that he had discussed Mr Sarkozy’s apparent implication with Mr Chirac at the time.

However, Mr de Villepin will now seek to be an “assisted witness”, a status that enables suspects to be accompanied by their lawyers at judicial interviews, they said.

The new evidence, leaked in detail to the press, consists of computer files written in mid2004 by General Philippe Rondot, an intelligence officer. In them he reported on contacts at the time with Jean-Louis Gergorin, a vice-president of the EADS aerospace and defence group. Mr Gergorin has since admitted sending the Clearstream bank lists anonymously to an investigating judge in 2004.

In a note dated May 26, General Rondot reports that Mr Gergorin had told him that he had “received instructions from Dominique de Villepin and had decided to speak to the judge”. It continues: “In an interview between Jean-Louis Gergorin and Dominique de Villepin on May 19, the latter was apparently jubilant but also concerned not to have his name appear in the affair.” General Rondot confirmed to judges on Wednesday that the notes were an accurate record of his contacts, judicial sources said.

Mr Gergorin, who lost his EADS job, has been charged with conspiracy, along with Imad Lahoud, a computer expert, who is suspected of producing the false records. The judges are to cross-examine Mr Gergorin and Mr Lahoud over the Rondot notes, which were retrieved from a hard drive by technicians, despite their having been erased.

The case is unlikely to reach any conclusion for at least a year. Mr Sarkozy is said, however, to be determined to have it pursued to the end.

Mr de Villepin, who is a part-time historian, has entitled his new book on Napoleon – regarded as an oblique attack on Mr Sarkozy’s Napoleonic ambitions – The Dark Sun of Power.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 02:34:55 PM »

Now Carl, we've told you before.  Remember to post the url.  Wink Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 02:56:26 PM »

Wait, wait...

Is de Vellepin an illegal immigrant?  I'm confused.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »

As Carl is too stubborn and lazy to do it himself, here you go:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2033979.ece
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 08:06:42 PM »

I fogot how much difficulty you have in locating the Times of London.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2042071.ece
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »

Wait, wait...

Is de Vellepin an illegal immigrant?  I'm confused.

We all know that!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 06:53:59 AM »

I've already posted that link.  I'm also not quite sure how you could have "fogot" how much difficulty I have finding it, since I've never needed to look for a particular Times article.  You're not making much sense here.

Also, where in the article does it say that it's from the Times of London?  It could have been the New York Times, L.A. Times, Washington Times, hell, even the Shreveport Times.

Carl, why do you insist on being the most arrogant and aggravating member of this forum?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:12:03 AM »

I've already posted that link.  I'm also not quite sure how you could have "fogot" how much difficulty I have finding it, since I've never needed to look for a particular Times article.  You're not making much sense here.

Also, where in the article does it say that it's from the Times of London?  It could have been the New York Times, L.A. Times, Washington Times, hell, even the Shreveport Times.

Carl, why do you insist on being the most arrogant and aggravating member of this forum?

Let me put it very simply so that maybe you can understand.

The Times is the London Times.

This is standard usage.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:15:08 AM »

Perhaps if you'd actually posted the url before being prompted to do so, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Smiley

Oh, and also:

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:51:51 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2007, 09:02:09 AM by what will come (has already come) »

Let me put it very simply so that maybe you can understand.

The Times is the London Times.

This is standard usage.

Indeed, since the paper's name is "The Times". There is no such thing as the "London Times" or the "Times of London", however much American journalists seem to think so. I wonder why. They're not referring to the "London Sun", the "London Daily Mirror", the "London Independent" or the "London Daily Telegraph" either. And there are probably just as many American papers called "Sun" as "Times".
On that, Carl's right and Joe's just a stupid Ohiohead.

None of which changes the facts about Joe's basic contention that it's considered good form on the interwebs to include the url when you're posting an article. Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »

I would have gotten away with too if it weren't for those pesky, meddling facts.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 01:13:03 AM »

I would have gotten away with too if it weren't for those pesky, meddling facts.

Lets be honest Joe, you never let facts get in your way.  Oh, and for you facts may be "pesky," but I must suggest that your allegation they are "meddling" is a little bit strange.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 01:21:34 AM »

Lets be honest Joe, you never let facts get in your way.  Oh, and for you facts may be "pesky," but I must suggest that your allegation they are "meddling" is a little bit strange.

Your face is a little bit strange.

OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 01:37:28 AM »

Your face is a little bit strange.

OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH
OH

Yes, a post where you exhibit you typical lack of thought.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »

Oh my god.  You really are the most dull, humorless person I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.  Please tell me you at least know what my last post was a reference to.  Anybody who has had a beating heart for the last 38 years would know.

What a miserable character.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 03:07:57 PM »

Yes, a post where you exhibit you typical lack of thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense_of_humor
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 09:50:11 PM »

Oh my god.  You really are the most dull, humorless person I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.  Please tell me you at least know what my last post was a reference to.  Anybody who has had a beating heart for the last 38 years would know.

What a miserable character.

I do know that you have problems with the English language (dangling participles(.

Oh, and yes, I used to watch Scooby Doo with my kids when they were little.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 10:27:22 PM »

Wait, I just realized something: with all his talk about assimilation and his inability to understand colloquial English and basic human humor... I think CARLHAYDEN is a Borg making first contact with humans and sizing us up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies