States Move to Require U.S. Flags are Made in U.S.A.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:46:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: States Move to Require U.S. Flags are Made in U.S.A.  (Read 2664 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2007, 02:43:08 PM »

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287954,00.html

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

* E-MAIL STORY
    * PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION

ROSEMOUNT, Minn. —  At American Legion Post 65, visitors can drop off worn U.S. flags knowing they'll be disposed of with the proper respect. On their way out, they can buy a new 3-by-5 flag for $20 or a 4-by-6-footer for $30.

Made in America, of course.

"That's our flag. It belongs here in the United States; it should be made in the United States," Air Force veteran Bob Racette said while fingering a flag in a corner of the legion hall bar.

By year's end, a new law will require every Old Glory sold in Minnesota stores to be American made. It's the latest and strongest attempt by states to stem imports of foreign-made U.S. flags.

In Arizona, schools and public colleges were required starting July 1 to outfit every classroom from junior high up with a made-in-the-USA flag. Tennessee requires all U.S. flags bought via state contract to be made here, and similar bills are moving forward in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

The Fourth of July is considered peak season for flag sales with millions of them lining parade routes and flying above back yard barbecues.

Most of the major domestic flag makers are privately held companies that don't release their sales figures, so it's difficult to gauge the inroads being made by foreign manufacturers.

The U.S. Census bureau estimates that $5.3 million worth of U.S. flags were imported from other countries in 2006, mostly from China. That figure has been steady over the past few years. The big exception was in 2001 when $51.7 million in U.S. flags were brought into the country, most on the heels of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Sandy Van Leiu, chairman of the Flag Manufacturers Association of America, said the imports are cause for concern even though U.S. companies still dominate the flag market.

"That door is going to keep opening," said Van Leiu, a sixth-generation executive at the family-owned Annin & Co., a 160-year-old business that supplies retailers like Wal-Mart. "It starts small, then it gets big. You're just opening Pandora's box."

To help consumers identify the origin of their flags, the association created a certification program two years ago that bestows a seal-of-approval logo to flags made with domestic fibers and labor.

Whether Minnesota's law violates international trade agreements — and whether anything would be done about it — is an open question.

Under World Trade Organization standards, the U.S. government can't treat foreign products less favorably than those produced within its boundaries, said Peter Morici, a business professor at the University of Maryland and the former chief economist for the U.S. International Trade Commission. How the rules apply to states is debatable, he said.

Morici said a foreign business harmed by the law would have to get its government to take action against the U.S. government. Robert Litan, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution think tank, said while the likelihood of Minnesota's law sparking a dispute is slim the symbolic message is hard to miss.

"It's symptomatic of an anti-foreign bias moving through the country right now. It would not surprise me if other states copied it," Litan said. "It's hard to oppose politically."

When the bill was debated this spring, some legislators argued it sent the wrong message to close Minnesota's borders to foreign-produced flags.

"That flag should be made throughout the world because it is our message to the world that there is hope for freedom and justice," Republican Rep. Dan Severson said at the time.

The law's sponsor, Democratic Rep. Tom Rukavina, said the flag deserves extra protection. To celebrate his legislative victory, he plans to hand out 1,000 miniature flags at Fourth of July parades in his district.

"The biggest honor that you can give the flag is that it be made by American workers in the United States of America," he said. "Nothing is more embarrassing to me than a plastic flag made in China. This replica of freedom we so respect should be made in this country."

The new law doesn't spell out a penalty for violators. In Minnesota, the default punishment for prohibited acts is a misdemeanor offense, carrying up to a $1,000 fine and 90 days in jail.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »

Boo!

(I wrote to my State Senator opposing the law. Her office never responded; I suspect she supports it.)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 05:35:39 PM »

oh gee
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 06:26:54 PM »

I actually like this idea. 
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 06:47:26 PM »

Boo!

(I wrote to my State Senator opposing the law. Her office never responded; I suspect she supports it.)

On what grounds could one oppose it?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 06:49:07 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2007, 06:52:09 PM by Alcon »

Belief that it's protectionist inanity or economically meaningless symbolist bullcrappery?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 06:51:45 PM »

Not another retarded feel-good measure that will barely affect anything.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 06:55:31 PM »

Barely affect? Not if some clowns try to make this a Constitutional amendment. Tongue
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »

Belief that it's protectionist inanity or economically meaningless symbolist bullcrappery?

^^^^^
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 09:10:22 PM »

Stupid nationalistic nonsense.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:12:26 PM »

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 09:19:03 PM »

Barely affect? Not if some clowns try to make this a Constitutional amendment. Tongue

It would probably pass, too, unfortunately.

Seriously, though, while I oppose it for the reasons Alcon and Gabu have enumerated, it wouldn't affect the economy. It's just patriotic idiocy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 09:32:23 PM »

I have no problem with Minnesota requiring that the U.S. flags it buys are made in the U.S.  Nor with a law that would require that foreign made flags be labelled as such prominently at the point of sale.  Banning all sale of foreign made flags seems excessive.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 09:57:46 PM »

What about the fact that the nylon used to make the flags is derived from oil from Saudi Arabia or somewhere?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »

Why should this even be an issue? Why waste time with such petty things? I am simply going to assume that some American company stands to profit from this additional demonstration of the presumably limitless idiocy of the government. Of course, a lot of people seem to really hate freedom anyway, so I probably should not be surprised.

This is just embarrassing, nationalist stupidity.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 10:20:22 PM »

Why should this even be an issue? Why waste time with such petty things? I am simply going to assume that some American company stands to profit from this additional demonstration of the presumably limitless idiocy of the government. Of course, a lot of people seem to really hate freedom anyway, so I probably should not be surprised.

This is just embarrassing, nationalist stupidity.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »

What about the fact that the nylon used to make the flags is derived from oil from Saudi Arabia or somewhere?
Actually that's not necessarily not the case. Nylon production is dependent upon two precursor chemicals, adiponitrile and cyclohexane.  Cyclohexane is normally produced from coal.  Adiponitrile can be produced from a number of different sources, oil, coal, or grain alcohol, with the choice of which process is used depending on how much adiponitrile you need to make and the relative costs of the raw materials.  Adiponitrile produced from petroleum is largely a result of it being a byproduct from cracking petroleum for other uses.  If you are interested in producing just adiponitrile, grain alcohol is likeliest to be your source.

Polyester on the other hand, that does need petroleum to make.  So remember folks, if you must buy synthetic fibers, polyester helps the terrorists much more than nylon does.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 02:11:15 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2007, 02:14:34 AM by Mr. Paleoconservative »

The law makes enough sense.  The flag we fly over state capitols, as well as our national one, should be made in this country.  The flags flown over the homes of our citizenry should also be made by their fellow Americans, and not the industries supporting foreign governments.

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 02:14:01 AM »

I misphrased my question.  On what grounds could anyone who would actually buy an American flag oppose it?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »

I misphrased my question.  On what grounds could anyone who would actually buy an American flag oppose it?

I put a flag out for Flag Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day, and I bet I know the flag code better than the vast majority of Americans. I have absolutely no qualms about buying a flag not made in the US; not that I'd prefer it that way, but I'd also rather the government not try to regulate the economy in that way.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »

I'm glad my state did this, because it rejects free trade, and I oppose free trade in all circumstances.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 08:33:28 PM »

I mean.. yeah.. why pay an American a decent wage to make a flag when we can make an Asian child make it for a few cents an hour?  After all, child labor is okay as long as it's out of sight and promotes "free trade."
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 08:45:42 PM »

How silly.  Protectionist nonsense.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 08:53:59 PM »

I really don't care where the flag is made.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies