Romney's running mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Romney's running mate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney's running mate?  (Read 1861 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »

Let's say that Mitt wins and is running against Hillary. Who would be his best bet. I think his best bet is a woman like Liz Dole, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Claire McCaskill, or maybe even Christine Todd Whitman
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »

Let's say that Mitt wins and is running against Hillary. Who would be his best bet. I think his best bet is a woman like Liz Dole, Kay Bailey Hutchison, Claire McCaskill, or maybe even Christine Todd Whitman

Why would McCaskill run on the Republican ticket?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 11:20:09 AM »

McCaskill? Sure she'd help but '08 is gonna be a year for Republicans to jump ship, not Dems.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

Oh, ok, now I understand why my debating with you in another thread is going no where. You're clueless.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 12:01:30 PM »

sorry I meant Susan Collins...not sure why I typed that

but the question is who do you think would make a good Romney running mate and would a woman be a good bet

and Phil it was a simple mistake....you dont need to get personal
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 12:06:36 PM »

some southern conservative.  Barbour maybe?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 12:08:59 PM »

How about Tim Pawlenty. He can carry his home state to victory!

Eh, his running mate should be gporter. It certainly would make for a great campaign.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 12:58:13 PM »

How about Tim Pawlenty. He can carry his home state to victory!

lol
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »

I doubt very much Romney would go with a female running mate, although some would be capable, namely Dole, however, her age is an impediment.

The best choice for Romney would be Senator Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, intelligent, well spoken, solid, capable, experienced.

Governor Tennessee 1979-87
Secretary of Education 1991-93
U.S. Senator from Tennessee since 2003

Executive experience, administrative experience, legislative experience, experience at the state level, Washington experience.

I believe Alexander could assume the office of President capably if required to do so.

Appeals to conservatives, moderates, crossover voters.

If I were Romney, and won the nomination, I would pick Alexander.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 01:01:53 PM »

I doubt very much Romney would go with a female running mate, although some would be capable, namely Dole, however, her age is an impediment.

The best choice for Romney would be Senator Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, intelligent, well spoken, solid, capable, experienced.

Executive experience, administrative experience, legislative experience, experience at the state level, Washington experience.

I believe Alexander could assume the office of President capably if required to do so.

and thus toss the Democrats a free Senate seat.

Well, actually no, since that's assuming Romney can actually win.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »

The Democrats didn't win the last Senate seat up in TN, and that was with a strong candidate in the worst election for Republicans we'll see for a while.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 07:18:37 PM »

The phony Massachusetts Mormon panderer should balance the ticket with a genuine conservative three-term Southern Baptist Governor Mike Huckabee for a running mate.

Plus, he wraps up Arkansas for the Republican ticket.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »

The Democrats didn't win the last Senate seat up in TN, and that was with a strong candidate in the worst election for Republicans we'll see for a while.

But TN still has a Democratic governor, who would appoint the replacement to Alexander's Senate seat.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 07:26:16 PM »

Thompson
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 07:37:30 PM »

In principle, having Romney pick a woman for VP might make some sense, but I can't see him picking any of the current female GOP governors or senators.  All of them are either too inexperienced, too old, or not pro-life enough on abortion.  I can't see the GOP nominate an abortion flip-flopper, only to have him turn around and nominate a pro-choicer.  There would be rioting at the convention if someone like Susan Collins was chosen.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 07:43:42 PM »

But TN still has a Democratic governor, who would appoint the replacement to Alexander's Senate seat.

Ah, for the short term. I got ya
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »

The phony Massachusetts Mormon panderer should balance the ticket with a genuine conservative three-term Southern Baptist Governor Mike Huckabee for a running mate.

I cannot believe your bigotry. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »

Now you're just being ridiculous.  She's as reviled among Republicans as she is among Democrats, and my God, did you not hear how badly she made a fool out of herself during 9/11 at the EPA?

Woman had no spine to stand up for what she believes in.

...on second thought, perhaps she'd make a good running mate for Romney after all.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 06:08:09 PM »

I got second-degree burns from that last post.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 06:51:41 PM »

I cannot believe your bigotry. 

My reference to the creeds of the respective candidates was simply to demonstrate that Huckabee's more orthodox religion is far more in line with everyday Republican voters and would make these types more open to voting for Romney.

That said, I dislike the former Governor of Massachusetts.  He is a phony.  I have given him time to redeem himself in my eyes, but he has only reinforced my impression of him as a serial panderer with no core convictions who believes that the primary electorate he is catering to is stupid.  It was his comments about being a lifelong hunter and how he pursued "varmints" that did it in for me. 

Mitt still has time for me to turn around and support him.  He can start by winning the Republican nomination.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »

The man's biggest problem, like it or not, is that he's a Mormon.  It's a shame that that's still a problem these days, but it's true.  He needs someone with solid (social) conservative credentials, preferably a Southerner.  The problem is, there aren't that many eligible Southerners.

Essentially all the Senators are either too old (John Warner, Dick Shelby, etc.), too inexperienced (most of the 2002/2004 crop), too young (can't run the risk of Dan Quayle again), or too strange (South Carolina).

Of the remainder, that really does leave Huckabee, Barbour, and Alexander, as mentioned.  Alexander's day has passed in my opinion, and he might not be conservative enough for Romney's purposes (unless I'm completely misremembering his '96 campaign).  Barbour's main credential is Katrina--although it is nice to see a Republican who can apparently manage things competently, it may not be the sort of thing that the Republicans want to remind people of.  Also, he's always rubbed me as being a bit on the sleazy side (with his lobbying activities, etc.).

Which leaves Huckabee, as Vander Blubb said--exactly the sort of unimpeachable Southern Conservative that Romney needs.  Plus, he's got an added boost to the health care angle.  Doesn't have any foreign policy experience, but you can't have it all.  Unfortunately, this does hinge on Huckabee agreeing to be Romney's VP candidate, which isn't at all guaranteed.

That said, if he were to choose Huckabee as his VP candidate, I would admire Romney for his shrewdness...and then sigh and begin to seriously consider voting Democrat.

Brownback is also a possibility (having a Senator is always nice), but he is Catholic, which may hurt any forlorn effort to turn out the evangelical crowd.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »

Now you're just being ridiculous.  She's as reviled among Republicans as she is among Democrats, and my God, did you not hear how badly she made a fool out of herself during 9/11 at the EPA?

Woman had no spine to stand up for what she believes in.

...on second thought, perhaps she'd make a good running mate for Romney after all.
i know but it is not like the GOP's Women's Team has a deep bench
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 09:45:42 PM »

i know but it is not like the GOP's Women's Team has a deep bench
[/quote]
this is true
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 11:58:43 AM »

A southerner would help at least secure the GOP base for him given the lingering doubts there may be about his religion.

In terms of actually trying to win (not that I think he has sod all chance of that Smiley) he'd be best to go with someone like Voinovich.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »

Voinovich who is so popular right now in Ohio.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies