Japanese House of Councillors Election, July 2007
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:25:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japanese House of Councillors Election, July 2007
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Japanese House of Councillors Election, July 2007  (Read 9859 times)
kireev

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 02:09:40 PM »

I would be happy to make a similar map of this election but so far I cannot find results by prefecture.

Where can I find maps?  I'd like to see how the different regions of Japan voted.

I am so happy about these results! 

Kireev, who is also a member on this forum, has a good site with election maps from all over the world. He has not created a map for the election yesterday, but from the previous in 2004:

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »

So is the LDP to Japan as the PRI was to Mexico? Always in charge, never in opposition, ruling off of patronage and forgotten promises?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »

So is the LDP to Japan as the PRI was to Mexico? Always in charge, never in opposition, ruling off of patronage and forgotten promises?

No not really. Unlike Mexico the LDP wins through legitimate means and keeps the society free and democratic. The systems more democratic than Mexico but less transparent than Sweden.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 11:11:47 PM »

Sweet!

Abe is refusing to resign too. Good. He may actually end up costing the LDP the lower house too!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 11:53:06 PM »

Sweet!

Abe is refusing to resign too. Good. He may actually end up costing the LDP the lower house too!

That would be a bit much. I can't see the LDP not overthrowing Abe if his unpopularity continues.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 04:37:10 AM »

Sweet!

That would be a bit much. I can't see the LDP not overthrowing Abe if his unpopularity continues.

Check this out:

"Even as Shinzo Abe vowed again Monday to stay the course as prime minister, 56 percent of those asked in an exit poll want him out.

While 32 percent said Abe should "stay in office," 56 percent said he should step aside.

The share who said Abe should resign stood at 78 percent among Minshuto (Democratic Party of Japan) voters, 80 percent for Japanese Communist Party voters, 78 percent for Social Democratic Party voters, and 65 percent for Kokumin Shinto (People's New Party) voters.

Among those who voted for the Liberal Democratic Party, 17 percent called for Abe to step down.

Among unaffiliated voters--a group that wielded strong influence on the election outcome--72 percent said Abe should resign, while 21 percent said he should not.

By age group, 66 percent of voters in their 30s said Abe should step down, followed by 65 percent of voters in their 20s and 64 percent of those in their 40s.

The exit poll also found that calls for Abe's resignation were more widespread, at 60 percent, in major cities with populations of about 1 million or more, compared with 55 percent among voters in small- and midsized cities and 51 percent among rural voters."

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200707310120.html
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 06:41:56 AM »

What a surprise! Non-LDP voters want the LDP PM to resign.  Next up on ONN, the sky is blue with occasional patches of white.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »

Japanese politics is very interesting. In Japan, the political spectrum is very different and doesn't fit the American right-left spectrum. I believe they are actually very democratic, but the problem has been that ever since WWII, politics have been a sensitive issue. The Japanese usually dislike things like politics because it brings people into the spotlight. One of the LDP ministers actually comitted suicide! Here, an American politician would defend oneself, but in Japan there is a strong fear of being publicly humiliated.

I've been interested in the Green politics of Japan. I read that they are actually sided with right-wing Buddhist groups that support conservation.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 04:10:16 PM »

I would be happy to make a similar map of this election but so far I cannot find results by prefecture.

Where can I find maps?  I'd like to see how the different regions of Japan voted.

Kireev, who is also a member on this forum, has a good site with election maps from all over the world. He has not created a map for the election yesterday, but from the previous in 2004:

Thanks for the map guys Smiley

Hokkaido is cool because they voted DPJ and because thats where the Ainu live. They are like Japanese Basques. Or like Japanese Native Americans. Does anyone here know about the Ainu?   
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 07:06:34 PM »

Hokkaido is cool because they voted DPJ and because thats where the Ainu live. They are like Japanese Basques. Or like Japanese Native Americans. Does anyone here know about the Ainu?   

More like the Japanese Native Americans because, last time I checked, the Spanish have never tried to eradicate Spain of all Basque people and forced them into second class citizenship, which was official Japanese policy into the fifties. Another interesting thing about Hokkaido is that its major city, Sapporo, was designed and constructed by American contractors in the late 1870s and early 1880s. So, in turn, its laid out much more like a modern American city, with wide car friendly streets arranged in a grid, than any other Japanese city.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 02:59:55 PM »

Map !

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »

I'd say that's a pretty decisive DPJ victory Cheesy
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »

So a city the size of Tokyo elects one councillor Huh

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2007, 04:25:22 AM »

These are provinces, not constituencies.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2007, 07:23:11 AM »

Tokyo Prefecture elects around 3-5 councillors if I remember correctly from my map work- I'll get back to you.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies