Al Franken raises $1.9 million (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:53:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Al Franken raises $1.9 million (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken raises $1.9 million  (Read 3335 times)
sethm0

« on: July 11, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »

I hate to say it, but Franken has no chance.

It is true that there is significant and growing anti-Republican sentiment in Minnesota, and that Coleman isn't the most talented or popular politician. Against a generic Minnesota Democrat, he'd have real trouble.

But Franken is not a generic Minnesota Democrat. He has not lived in the state for decades. The people of Minnesota do not feel connected to him in any way. He has years worth of radio show sound-bites that could be used against him in one way or another. His books and radio show make him look like he cares more about making fun of Republicans than being a serious public servant.

He would not be McCaskill or Webb, both of whom had strong roots in their states. He would not be Hillary Clinton in 2000 who, though carpetbagging, was running for an open seat in a more liberal state. He would just be a celebrity trying to run on his celebrity credentials - sort of like Jerry Springer, except Springer actually had strong roots in Ohio and a record of public service.

Already Franken's inability to win is being born out - he is down huge in the polls despite decent name-recognition, and embarrassingly little of his fund raising has been raised in-state. Franken is a good man, but would not make a good candidate.

I really hope Franken will get out so that we can have a good shot of beating that idiot Coleman.
sethm0

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:23:46 PM »

2 years won't be enough in the eyes of Minnesotans. It's true that he has a large number of small donors in his fund raising report, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that most of these are from within Minnesota. I would imagine that most of those small donations are internet donations from the fans of his radio show, which stretch nationwide.

Again, I'm not saying I don't like the guy or wish he could win. But from a purely objective point of view, we Democrats need a better candidate in Minnesota.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies