Al Franken raises $1.9 million (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:45:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Al Franken raises $1.9 million (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken raises $1.9 million  (Read 3349 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: July 10, 2007, 01:14:51 AM »

In all seriousness, I can't see how one could reasonably consider Coleman 'safe', KP.  I think you're exaggerating Franken's negatives and underestimating the anti-Republican mood in Minnesota.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 01:27:58 AM »

In all seriousness, I can't see how one could reasonably consider Coleman 'safe', KP.  I think you're exaggerating Franken's negatives and underestimating the anti-Republican mood in Minnesota.
They're delusional. Franken will win comfortably.

I would tend to agree.. I suppose they must be transferring their own personal response to Mr. Franken to the good people of Minnesota.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:53:14 AM »

The Democrat will win due to anti-Republican feeling (and regret over supporting Coleman in the first place), not through any great appeal of his own.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:49:17 AM »

Why does everyone seem to discount Minnesota's anti-Republican mood?  Lets look at 2006 - Ohio might be a special case, but my homestate is far more Republican than Minnesota (and so are Montana and Virginia), and they all elected Democrats.  True, in Missouri's case McGaskill was a fine professional politician, but hardly well liked.  In Virginia's case Webb was just about as much of an outsider as Franken, and of course Tester is far more out of synch with Montana's ideology than is Franken with Minnesota's.   So I don't see how anyone can say that just because of shortcomings in the Democratic candidate that he will fail to capitalize on Minnesota's profound disgust with the GOP.  He's well funded, and reasonably articulate.. all he has to do is avoid being seen as not serious or a joke, and he should eke it out by a couple of points.  Lastly, keep in mind that there is no great personal enthusiasm for Coleman - he may not have such high negatives in polling, but very few have any deep fondness for him in the way one finds with long-sitting Senators in states they don't really fit - like Baucus in Montana or Collins in Maine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies