RISK Domination III: Finished!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:29:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Domination III: Finished!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: RISK Domination III: Finished!  (Read 49698 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2007, 04:14:39 PM »
« edited: September 29, 2007, 06:31:24 PM by Joe Ó Dubhshláine »

Welcome to a new game of 'RISK Domination'!  Six generals will battle it out to defeat their opponents and conquer the entire United States; using strategy, smarts, brute strength, and a healthy dose of 'risk'.

The six generals who will be playing in this game are: DanielX Gustaf, Ernest, Hannibal MAS117, Jas, Lewis Trondheim and TN2024.  The winner will be permitted to stay on and defend their championship title in the next game.

There are only a few main differences between this version of RISK and the traditional version, which will be detailed below.

The map

The biggest difference is clearly the map we'll be using.  Instead of 42 territories in the world, our map is based on the 50 states of the US.  This difference has forced a few more rules to change; e.g. the number of initial deployments, the number and layout of the regions, etc.

The red lines signify a border that either doesn't already exist between two states, or is ambiguous.  For clarification, no border exists between Utah and New Mexico and between Arizona and Colorado (the 'Four Corners'), and there is a border between Delaware and New Jersey (check a map; it's there).

Here is the map showing the layout and value of the regions (which will be explained later):

Starting the game

The states will be distributed randomly, and the method by which the battalions are deployed will be explained in one of the next few posts.

To begin with, all players will be given 25 battalions each to deploy among their states at the start of the game.  All battalions must be deployed, and each state must contain at least 1 battalion (at all times throughout the game).

So that each player will start with an equal number of states (eight), two states will be neutral, and will start with 3 battalions each.  That number will increase by 1 after every round.  For all intents and purposes, treat them as "up for grabs" for whoever conquers them first.

Taking a turn

As in the traditional game, each player's turn is divided up into three stages, which must be performed in order:

1. Reinforcements

Each player will receive a number of battalions equal to their number of states divided by three, rounded to the closest whole number.  A minimum of three battalions is granted even if that formula would equal less than three.  So, for example, if a player controls 11 states, they'll get 4 reinforcements (11/3 = 3.7).

For easy reference:

10 states or fewer = 3 reinforcements
11-13 states = 4 reinforcements
14-16 states = 5 reinforcements
17-19 states = 6 reinforcements
20-22 states = 7 reinforcements
And so on.

Players will also receive a bonus number of reinforcements if they control any of the regions as shown in the map above at this point of their turn.  The number of reinforcements they'll receive depends on which region(s) they control, and those numbers are given in the table in the map itself.

Players may also trade in any sets of cards at this point too.  Cards will be explained in more depth later.  This is the only stage of your turn in which you may trade in cards.

2. Attack

Since this is a message board based game, I've had to employ a slightly different method to ensure that attack phases are performed efficiently and as quickly as possible.  Those who played in or followed the original games I ran should be familiar with it already.

Basically, all you need to do in this stage is post how many battalions you're sending to attack a neighboring state, how many of them you're willing to risk losing before calling a retreat, and how many battalions you want to leave in that state if you conquer it.

On that last part, you'll need to leave a minimum of three battalions there; if you attacked with less than three battalions, then you'll just have to keep however many battalions you used there.  Unless you specify how many battalions you're putting in your conquered state, I'll assume you want the maximum there.  If you say that your attack order is to "do or die", then there will be no retreat and the maximum number of battalions will be left in the conquered state.

You may attack as many states as you want during this stage, or none at all if you wish.  But always remember to leave at least 1 battalion in each of your states at all times.

If you conquer at least one state during this stage, you'll receive one card.  You will not receive any more than one card per turn, unless you destroy an opponent; in which case you receive any cards they were holding as well.

The dice rolls are performed using an online random number generator, found here.  You'll just have to trust me that I'll do it fairly. Smiley

3. Tactical Move

Once you've finished your attack phase, you may perform a tactical move if you wish.  You can move as many battalions as you want from one of your states to one neighboring state (remembering to leave one battalion behind, of course).  You may only perform one tactical move each turn.

Cards

Cards work on exactly the same principle as in the traditional version.  In this version, each card contains a state seal (which represents one state on the map), and a figurine (either an infantryman, cavalry, or cannon).  There is one card for each state (i.e. 50) and two wildcards.

Once you've collected a 'set' of three cards, you may trade them in at your next turn for more reinforcements.  A set of cards can be: three infantrymen (worth four extra battalions); three cavalry (worth six extra battalions); three cannons (worth eight  extra battalions); or one of each (worth ten extra battalions).

On trading in your cards, you'll receive an additional 2 battalions for each card that depicts the seal of a state that you control.  Those battalions will only be placed on that particular state.

The wildcards do not represent any state, and are simply a stand-in figurine in order to make a set of three cards.

Cards are dealt randomly, and the state seal on each one will not have any deliberate connection with states you conquered during that turn.

Your cards will be sent to you by PM, and it is your responsibility to keep them secret.  I'll be keeping a record of who has what card, for organization's sake.

Clarifications of rules

I've tried to make sure everything is clear here.  However, if you want me to clarify any of the above rules, I'll be happy to do so. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 04:19:33 PM »

First map

Here's the first map with each player being given randomly distributed states:

Note that the order of turns hasn't yet been decided; that'll happen in this next stage.

Also note that Nevada and Louisiana have been randomly designated as neutral states for now.  They'll have 3 battalions each for the first round, and that will increase by 1 more after every round.

Instructions

The next step is for you all to decide how you want your initial 25 battalions to be deployed.  As you can see, I've already taken the liberty of placing 1 in each state for you, which leaves you with 17 to deploy wherever you please.

Please post all of your deployments here.

This stage will also be determining the order of turns as well.  So while those who post first will get to play first, those who post last will be able to strategize their deployments based on what the others before them have decided to do.  So the decision is yours. Wink

If a post is edited, the time at which the last edit was made will be used to determine the order of your turn.  If your deployment orders contain a mistake, the subsequent post with the correction will determine the order of your turn.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:54:24 PM »

Deploy all 17 blue reinforcements in California.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 07:02:37 PM »

All available deployments to Georgia please. Smiley
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »

16 deployed to Texas, 1 to Arkansas.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:29:49 PM »

I can't believe I was left out!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »

Why?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »

Why do I always get midwestern states?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 01:50:30 PM »

Because you touch yourself at night.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 01:53:46 PM »

What's wrong with that!?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »

Can we get on with this please? I've PM'ed my plans does that work?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 04:38:24 PM »

Can we get on with this please? I've PM'ed my plans does that work?

You haven't PM'ed me anything, and you've been instructed to post your deployments right here.

Tongue
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 05:39:15 PM »

I swear I PM'ed em... oh well

The whole lot in Maine if you please.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »

I've sent a reminder to Hannibal.  If we get no response by later tonight, I'll open his spot up to MAS117, who was the next person on the sign-up list.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »

I've sent a reminder to Hannibal.  If we get no response by later tonight, I'll open his spot up to MAS117, who was the next person on the sign-up list.

ME ME ME
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 02:49:06 PM »

Don't push your luck, Marshall.  Tongue
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »

Oh Joe, don't toy with me so. Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 06:16:33 AM »

Alright, there's still no response from Hannibal, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove him from the game.  MAS117, if you're happy to take over his states (and the color yellow), then please post your deployments.

And Lewis, don't forget yours too. Smiley

(Ernest, please wait for me to post the updated map if you get back here before I do.)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »

Alright, there's still no response from Hannibal, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove him from the game.  MAS117, if you're happy to take over his states (and the color yellow), then please post your deployments.

And Lewis, don't forget yours too. Smiley

(Ernest, please wait for me to post the updated map if you get back here before I do.)

Wow, I don't think I can start in any worse of a position to lose this game. Nevertheless, place all my available troops in WY.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 01:59:04 PM »

Indiana.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 07:02:53 AM »

New map:

General Ernest, it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [8 states ÷ 3 = 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions held]
= 3 reinforcements
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 02:33:11 PM »

1. Place all reinforcements in California.

2. Attack CA -> HI -> AK -> WA -> OR, leaving only 1 battalion in each state as my army advances.

3. Draw card.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »

1. Place all reinforcements in California.

2. Attack CA -> HI -> AK -> WA -> OR, leaving only 1 battalion in each state as my army advances.

3. Draw card.

Reinforcements

All 3 battalions have been deployed in California, where there are now 21 in total.

Attacks

California invades Hawaii (Lewis Trondheim) with 20 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Hawaii.

Ernest [20] rolls 3 dice: 5 4 4
Lewis Trondheim [1] rolls 1 die: 4
Lewis Trondheim loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Hawaii and places 20 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in California.

----------

Hawaii invades Alaska (TN2024) with 19 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Alaska.

Ernest [19] rolls 3 dice: 6 6 6
TN2024 [1] rolls 1 die: 5
TN2024 loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Alaska and places 19 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Hawaii.

----------

Alaska invades Washington (Lewis Trondheim) with 18 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Washington.

Ernest [18] rolls 3 dice: 4 1 1
Lewis Trondheim [1] rolls 1 die: 1
Lewis Trondheim loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Washington and places 18 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Alaska.

----------

Washington invades Oregon (DanielX) with 17 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Oregon.

Ernest [17] rolls 3 dice: 4 3 2
DanielX [1] rolls 1 die: 1
DanielX loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Oregon and places 17 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Washington.

----------

* General Ernest has taken control of the Pacific region *

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 03:01:04 PM »

My Round 1 orders:

Reinforcements
All to Georgia

Attack Orders
(Do or die applies to all)
1. All Georgia to Florida
2. All Florida to Alabama
3. All Alabama to Mississippi
4. Attack from Mississippi to Tennessee sending two-thirds of my total MS forces (round-up if necessary) forward to TN and holding the remaining third in MS
5. Attack Tennessee to North Carolina sending half my total forces to NC and keeping half in TN
6. All North Carolina to South Carolina

Tactical
Free move all available forces from South Carolina to North Carolina
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »

New map:

General Jas, it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [8 states ÷ 3 = 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions held]
= 3 reinforcements
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies