Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 05:46:25 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Who is your Favorite President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Who is your Favorite President?  (Read 8695 times)
Southern Patriot
DWPerry
YaBB God
Puerto Rico

Political Matrix
E: 7.03, S: -6.26

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2007, 07:33:02 pm »
Ignore

Not necessarily the best, but your favorite.

Mine would be William Henry Harrison - he wasn't in office long enough to screw anything up.

Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
YaBB God
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:47:25 pm »
Ignore

LBJ
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:15:14 pm »
Ignore

Not necessarily the best, but your favorite.

Mine would be William Henry Harrison - he wasn't in office long enough to screw anything up.

Reagan

Just for the fun of it, summer 2014 reading: I am taking college courses both in July & did in May. I have read all of the material for those. Besides that I read Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story & the book on Kennedy & Nixon by Chris Matthews both cover to cover & before that One Last Kiss: The Chris Coleman Story. All very informative & entertaining books. I have started Rendevouz With Destiny By Craig Shirley.
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:55:31 pm »
Ignore

Herbert Hoover

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
-President Abraham Lincoln, December 1862
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Israel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:47:08 pm »
Ignore

Thomas Jefferson.

House endorsements: Walter (AZ-9), Loudermilk (GA-11), Blum (IA-1), Dietzel (LA-6), Poliquin (ME-2), McMillin (MI-8), Emmer (MN-6), Mills (MN-8), Brat (VA-7), Didier (WA-4), Mooney (WV-2)
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 02:09:34 pm »
Ignore

Andrew Jackson is up there.
Sensei
senseiofj324
YaBB God
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:32:22 pm »
Ignore

Clinton, Jefferson. If Gore had won, he'd be up there.

Witiko
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 03:05:34 am »
Ignore

Having just devoted two weeks to a 1200-page FDR biography (the third on him that I have read), I'll go with Franklin Roosevelt.
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 05:40:51 am »
Ignore

Having just devoted two weeks to a 1200-page FDR biography (the third on him that I have read), I'll go with Franklin Roosevelt.

http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=4013
Witiko
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 02:28:03 pm »
Ignore

http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=4013
Yes, yes, I've seen the libertarian think tank article already.

Somehow I found it less than convincing.

Friz
thad_l
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 04:27:09 pm »
Ignore

Gee, that's a really hard call to make, seeing as they've all been fairly poor.  I'm leaning towards Teddy Roosevelt.
True Democrat
true democrat
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 05:06:37 pm »
Ignore

John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Teddy Roosevelt, Harry Truman, and LBJ all come to mind.

Michael Bloomberg for President.

Lol Winfield.  This quote is from a thread entitled "what do the following proceed to do if they are not nominated?"
Romney - President of Harvard
Sibboleth Bist
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 06:08:35 pm »
Ignore

On balance, LBJ.

MaC
Milk_and_cereal
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 11:12:02 pm »
Ignore

not a favorite, but I like Gerald Ford-piss poor liberal, but the times made him what he was, and it's an interesting story.
another non-favorite I like is Harry Truman who had no college education, but was a self-educated man, and he faced the hardest decision any President to this day has had to make
Andrew Johnson-I like him in that he wanted a quick, painless reconstruction that would not hurt the south.  Plus the fact that he fired his Sec of War to spite congress and got impeached because of it shows brass balls.

Overall, probably Harding.  His governmental policies were similar to Coolidge, but their personalities were way different.  Coolidge was analytical, very introverted, philosophical.  Harding was an all out badass, party animal that enjoyed the White House and the priviledge that went with it.

Faster than a legally fired bullet.
More powerful than railroaded legislation.
Able to leap giant bureaucracy in a single bound.

It's an anarchist.  It's a free marketer.

It's... It's...        Super Libertarian
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 12:16:12 pm »
Ignore

not a favorite, but I like Gerald Ford-piss poor liberal, but the times made him what he was, and it's an interesting story.
another non-favorite I like is Harry Truman who had no college education, but was a self-educated man, and he faced the hardest decision any President to this day has had to make
Andrew Johnson-I like him in that he wanted a quick, painless reconstruction that would not hurt the south.  Plus the fact that he fired his Sec of War to spite congress and got impeached because of it shows brass balls.

Overall, probably Harding.  His governmental policies were similar to Coolidge, but their personalities were way different.  Coolidge was analytical, very introverted, philosophical.  Harding was an all out badass, party animal that enjoyed the White House and the priviledge that went with it.

Really suprised.

Ford was one of the stupidest Presidents in history!

Some of the more trenchant observations about Ford were:

He played too much football without a helmet - Lyndon Johnson

Couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

He appointed Rockefeller as Vice President!

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 01:35:18 pm »
Ignore

My personal favorite is Truman, much for the reasons M and C cited (hey, I knew eventually we'd agree on something Smiley). The last President who didn't graduate from college, and probably will hold that title for quite some time.
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 02:36:43 pm »
Ignore

My personal favorite is Truman, much for the reasons M and C cited (hey, I knew eventually we'd agree on something Smiley). The last President who didn't graduate from college, and probably will hold that title for quite some time.

And you dislike Bush 43 for not finishing a war? Truman is perhaps one of the most overrated Presidents, at least in foreign policy. He fired McArthur, which of course, was a terrible mistake and in the end cost a sure victory in the Korean peninsula.
TexasGurl
texasgurl24
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: -9.57, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 04:44:42 pm »
Ignore

Jefferson Davis.

MasterJedi
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: 6.43

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 04:46:57 pm »
Ignore

TR

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 04:50:24 pm »
Ignore

Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh

Quote from: DarqWolff
I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them... In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 05:10:28 pm »
Ignore

Jefferson Davis.

Smiley
Southern Patriot
DWPerry
YaBB God
Puerto Rico

Political Matrix
E: 7.03, S: -6.26

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33:11 am »
Ignore

Cheesy

MaC
Milk_and_cereal
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 02:43:42 am »
Ignore

Really suprised.

did you read what I wrote?  I already said he was a piss-poor liberal President.  His job was to put a close on the damages done by the Nixon Administration.  Pardoning him, I wouldn't have done.  However, the country had been through enough.  He brought back troops from Vietnam and around the world.  Pretty shallow President, no real goals, no vision.  I know that he really wanted the GOP to win so he could be Speaker of the House since he liked his house job.  Actual policies were rather horrible.  The man knew nothing about economics.  He supported the court's Roe v Wade decision.  GOP would never support him today unless he ran from New England.

Faster than a legally fired bullet.
More powerful than railroaded legislation.
Able to leap giant bureaucracy in a single bound.

It's an anarchist.  It's a free marketer.

It's... It's...        Super Libertarian
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 03:15:43 am »
Ignore

Really suprised.

did you read what I wrote?  I already said he was a piss-poor liberal President.  His job was to put a close on the damages done by the Nixon Administration.  Pardoning him, I wouldn't have done.  However, the country had been through enough.  He brought back troops from Vietnam and around the world.  Pretty shallow President, no real goals, no vision.  I know that he really wanted the GOP to win so he could be Speaker of the House since he liked his house job.  Actual policies were rather horrible.  The man knew nothing about economics.  He supported the court's Roe v Wade decision.  GOP would never support him today unless he ran from New England.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

It seems that every great nation has a period of absolutely terrible heads of government.

The Brits endured a series of slimebags in the 30s while in the 70s the United States endured dumb (ford), dumber (carter) and a crook (nixon).

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 08:57:02 am »
Ignore

Come on, now! That guy was incompetant.

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Bacon King: 1.  You're cute, in a weird Tom Wopat kind of way.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout