Would you say the United States is a reactionary or progressive country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you say the United States is a reactionary or progressive country?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Would you say the United States is a reactionary or progressive country?  (Read 5242 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 09:47:03 AM »

It was the essay on my Honors US I final this year and I thought we could have an interesting debate about it.  I say reactionary I'll weigh in why after others have posted.

We are both.  We are highly proactive when it comes to economics, spurring many great innovations over the years, which has helped keep us ahead of the world in many areas.  We do tend to be reactionary towards outside threats to our nation though.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »

Although the way our country was designed makes us more reactionary. New ideas usually face a steep uphill battle due to the fact that they must win over two houses, a filibuster and a veto.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 03:19:05 PM »

Yes, oddly enough, this nation is is both. Who'd a guessed? Tongue O_o
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 07:10:29 PM »

It's Progressively Reactionary I think. Whatever it is right now I doubt it's Reactionarily Progressive. (Perhaps that describe "Limousine Liberals" well, no?)

Of course are far too simple terms (as well as being very leading..) but any country that voted for Bush twice struggles with me to be considered "Progressive".
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 07:34:08 PM »

any country that voted for Bush twice struggles with me to be considered "Progressive".

Once, man. Once.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »

any country that voted for Bush twice struggles with me to be considered "Progressive".

Once, man. Once.

Okay fair enough, but you had a chance to rectify your error (or rather the Supreme Court's error) and... you blew it.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 07:42:21 PM »

I blame the South.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 07:46:39 PM »

Don't we all, man. Don't we all.

Clearly the dead men of the Old CSA are having a laugh as we speak.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »

Once, man. Once.

Okay fair enough, but you had a chance to rectify your error (or rather the Supreme Court's error) and... you blew it.

Actually, you were correct in your initial assesment.  The only votes in question in 2000 were in NM, where gore eventually won by 360 votes; IA, where gore eventually won by 4000; and FL.  And only Florida had enough votes (25 I think) to make a difference, and in Florida Bush won by 185 if you counted them the way the Bushies wanted, or Bush won by 1500 if you count them the way gore wanted, or he won by 587 if you count them the way Katherine Harris wanted.  (No doubt, the Supreme court was inconsistent, and made a bad ruling, and that certainly deserves its own thread, but Bush won legitimately both in 2000 and in 2004 with or without the Supreme court's poor showing during that episode.)  So you should stand by your initial assertion.  One with which I disagree, I might add, because as I pointed out, Bush has been one of the most reactionary, by some measures, and one of the most progressive, by others, of all our presidents.  He may have finished Reagan's hatchet job of FDR's New Deal by reducing taxes even more than Reagan, but he also appointed more women and black people and hispanics than any of his predecessors.  He has also tried to reach for Mars.  In terms of US imperialism, unfortunately his reach has exceded his grasp.  Still, there's plenty of evidence our blue-blood, ivy-league, Connecticut Yankee president (and self-styled Texas Cowboy President) has taken some of the most progressive and most reactionary steps of all presidents.  In fact, I submit that his very transformation from aristocratic Easterner to egalitarian Westerner is about as progressive and as reactionary a transformation as you can find in the annals of world leaders of any epoch.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 07:29:06 PM »

In comparison with other developed countries, it is certainly much more conservative than any other.  Indeed, it serves as a bridge of sorts between the developing world (which is going through a major religious revival across nearly all the major faiths -Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism) and the developed world. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 09:02:10 PM »

In comparison with other developed countries, it is certainly much more conservative than any other.  Indeed, it serves as a bridge of sorts between the developing world (which is going through a major religious revival across nearly all the major faiths -Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism) and the developed world. 

you've been watching CNN again, haven't you?  Wink

actually, I have as well.  nicely done, I must say.  And I didn't realize she was iranian.  All things considered, it was fairly objective.  and informative.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 08:49:52 AM »

Once, man. Once.

Actually, you were correct in your initial assesment.  The only votes in question in 2000 were in NM, where gore eventually won by 360 votes; IA, where gore eventually won by 4000; and FL.  And only Florida had enough votes (25 I think) to make a difference, and in Florida Bush won by 185 if you counted them the way the Bushies wanted, or Bush won by 1500 if you count them the way gore wanted, or he won by 587 if you count them the way Katherine Harris wanted.  (No doubt, the Supreme court was inconsistent, and made a bad ruling, and that certainly deserves its own thread, but Bush won legitimately both in 2000 and in 2004 with or without the Supreme court's poor showing during that episode.)  So you should stand by your initial assertion.  One with which I disagree, I might add, because as I pointed out, Bush has been one of the most reactionary, by some measures, and one of the most progressive, by others, of all our presidents.  He may have finished Reagan's hatchet job of FDR's New Deal by reducing taxes even more than Reagan, but he also appointed more women and black people and hispanics than any of his predecessors.  He has also tried to reach for Mars.  In terms of US imperialism, unfortunately his reach has exceded his grasp.  Still, there's plenty of evidence our blue-blood, ivy-league, Connecticut Yankee president (and self-styled Texas Cowboy President) has taken some of the most progressive and most reactionary steps of all presidents.  In fact, I submit that his very transformation from aristocratic Easterner to egalitarian Westerner is about as progressive and as reactionary a transformation as you can find in the annals of world leaders of any epoch.

First, I would like to ask where you got the nonsense about the vote count in 2000, and secondly to remind you that taxes were quite a bit lower under Reagan.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies