Would you say the United States is a reactionary or progressive country? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:11:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you say the United States is a reactionary or progressive country? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would you say the United States is a reactionary or progressive country?  (Read 5286 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 12, 2007, 03:44:34 PM »

We generally take reactive steps as that is how our constitution is designed. Change only occurs when virtually everyone is affected by it, or only gets its attention then. Then again, in the 90s, we began to take proactive steps against terrorism, then we worried about it less and then after 911  we have been taking more reactive steps.

Public Healthcase assistance was more proactive in the 60s.

Social Security and Welfare were more reactive in the 30s in response to the Great Depression.

We were proactive on gay rights and it continues to be a proactive issue with reactive opposition.

Abortion appears to be the same way as its opposition only came about when Colorado, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii and New York Legalised it and was eventually legalisez everywhere else with Roe v. Wade.

We are taking a more proactive approach to war, but this appears to have become a bad policy.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:42:01 PM »

I would say that the U.S. is a unique social and human construction to say the very least, we have  countering currents flowing in a bizzare synthesis that has become something that is really quite different from the rest of the world. They say that Texas is like a whole other country. I would say that the U.S. is like a whole other planet. I've been to Europe, both the poor and wealthy parts and see that the there are things we hold in common and things that made me question whether Euros and Americans were even the same species.

After looking at the question more, I would say that this is a country that keeps on pushing the evelope until the country wins or the system wins. We will probably be a reactionary country until there is a  disaster that basically shuts down the entire country and then the cycle will restart. 1861. 1876. 1929.  1971. I think we may be entering a time of tribulation or a time of final affirmation for the current regime.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »

Although the way our country was designed makes us more reactionary. New ideas usually face a steep uphill battle due to the fact that they must win over two houses, a filibuster and a veto.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies