Pope: Other Christians not true churches
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:47:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pope: Other Christians not true churches
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Pope: Other Christians not true churches  (Read 8473 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2007, 04:52:42 PM »

You're into older men now?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2007, 05:41:11 PM »

Obviously the RCC believes it is the only true church.  They have believed this for a long time so this should not come as a surprise for it is not news.  Nor should other Christians be offended by such claims.

Not offended as much as I'd like them to ease off the insanity

Oh now come on, how is that belief "insane"?

The Catholic way is the only way to salvation?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2007, 07:05:45 PM »

I'd be wary of ANYTHING in the media quoting the Pope.
Still, I'm sure he was using the term "church" in it's most fundamental and technical catholic sense: a body of believers united under the authority of a Bishop who possesses valid holy orders.

The Protestant Reformers rejected the concept of valid holy orders and hence broke the chain of apostolic succession, something they did not intend to pass on to their successors anyway, since they no longer believed in it.

The Eastern Orthodox, by contrast, have and have always had, valid holy orders and valid sacraments.

It doesn't mean that baptized protestants are not Christians.
As long as you are baptized in the name of the three Divine Persons of the holy Trinity, you are a Christian.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2007, 08:15:42 PM »

Still, I'm sure he was using the term "church" in it's most fundamental and technical catholic sense: a body of believers united under the authority of a Bishop who possesses valid holy orders.

The Protestant Reformers rejected the concept of valid holy orders and hence broke the chain of apostolic succession, something they did not intend to pass on to their successors anyway, since they no longer believed in it.

The Eastern Orthodox, by contrast, have and have always had, valid holy orders and valid sacraments.

As long as you are baptized in the name of the three Divine Persons of the holy Trinity, you are a Christian.

First, I don't like Catholic bashing.

Second, I strongly disagree with the statement.

Third, Jtfdem has it right.  This is about structure and a sacramental church (and I still disagree).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2007, 11:20:18 PM »

Sooooooooo cool!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2007, 11:25:36 PM »

Its both clever and classy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2007, 11:26:50 PM »

Given that it said that the document stated that "Catholicism provides the only true path to salvation", it seems to me that it's a bit more than that.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2007, 11:32:34 PM »

Yet again Benedict proves he can't even come remotely close to replacing John Paul II
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2007, 11:34:22 PM »

Yet again Benedict proves he can't even come remotely close to replacing John Paul II

I'm pretty sure the Papal Conclave ensured that he's the successor but...uh...whatever you say, Smash.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2007, 11:39:29 PM »

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the actual document itself.  It can be found here.

Unfortunately, I don't really understand what is being said very much.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2007, 11:46:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Papal Conclave ensured that he's the successor but...uh...whatever you say, Smash.
You know what he meant.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2007, 11:49:36 PM »

You know what he meant.

With Smash? No, I don't.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2007, 11:51:09 PM »

I didn't make it up. FTP (abbreviated that way) is a common slogan in Northern Ireland.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2007, 11:52:30 PM »

You know what he meant.

With Smash? No, I don't.

Hey Phil.....whats with you and being obsessed with jumping on people about this.....you just seem to be really.....pissy. Being an ass really doesnt do much to defend what youre attempting to defend, you know.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2007, 11:57:17 PM »

You know what he meant.

With Smash? No, I don't.

I thought it was pretty obvious, but I guess I have to spell it out for you.

Pope Benedict isn't half the Pope John Paul II was.  Pope John Paul II worked hard to bring people together, Benedict seems to be working to divide people.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2007, 12:05:37 AM »

Hey Phil.....whats with you and being obsessed with jumping on people about this.....you just seem to be really.....pissy. Being an ass really doesnt do much to defend what youre attempting to defend, you know.

Too many people bash my faith and our leaders so I'm going to get pissed especially when few ever defend my Church. I was "being an ass" to Smash because his comments about replacing the Pope made no sense.

I thought it was pretty obvious, but I guess I have to spell it out for you.

Pope Benedict isn't half the Pope John Paul II was.  Pope John Paul II worked hard to bring people together, Benedict seems to be working to divide people.

No need to spell it out. Just say it the correct way next time...and try not to jump on others for sounding stupid when you put on a nice routine yourself.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2007, 12:10:47 AM »

Too many people bash my faith and our leaders so I'm going to get pissed especially when few ever defend my Church. I was "being an ass" to Smash because his comments about replacing the Pope made no sense.

Let me get this straight.............youre gonna complain about faith bashing to an atheist? Im subject to that at least as much as you are and you know. Getting the way you get in these situations just isnt the solution. Smash's comment made perfect sense: He felt that John Paul II was a better pope. Simple as that.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »

Obviously the RCC believes it is the only true church.  They have believed this for a long time so this should not come as a surprise for it is not news.  Nor should other Christians be offended by such claims.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2007, 12:22:06 AM »

Smash's comment made perfect sense: He felt that John Paul II was a better pope. Simple as that.

No, Smash said Benedict will never "replace" John Paul II which made no sense at all. I know what he went but I wanted to be a smart ass to someone who wanted to give Catholic leaders a hard time. No one was going to measure up to John Paul. No one. I just don't like how every time the current Pope opens his mouth means an opportunity for others to say, "Oh, he's no John Paul! The Church is finished!"
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2007, 12:34:39 AM »

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2007, 12:41:04 AM »

I didn't make it up. FTP (abbreviated that way) is a common slogan in Northern Ireland.

Just because it was said before and is common in certain areas does not mean it is any less bigoted and ignorant.  Most Orangemen and Unionists would be appalled at this crude train of thought.  Sentiments that are reserved for  drunken football fans or the most desperate, poverty stricken relics of Shankill or Sandy Row.  I find it funny that in your posts you are impugning the dignity of proper protestants on King Billy's day- when most sane citizens of the North of Ireland wish to disassociate themselves from this sort of nonsense.  As the Orange posters say it is about tradition and not hate.

As for Pope Benedict, he is just re-iterating Catholic doctrine i.e.  The Catholic church is the best method to salvation. This does not mean that other believers are banished to the cauldrons of hell.  Indeed, Bisohops have been excommunicated by the papacy for preaching that other christians will go to hell.  (I can't remember the name right now but Card. Avery Dulles mentor rings a bell).  The Pope believes that catholic teachings and the apostolic church are the best means to salvation.  He is an career academic who believes fervently in the "rightness" of his beliefs.  The aim is to seek reconciliation with our fellow chistians but never to compromise our core beliefs.  I don't really see what the big uproar is about other than the usual Catholic and for that matter rligious baiting.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2007, 12:44:13 AM »

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2007, 12:58:23 AM »

Smash's comment made perfect sense: He felt that John Paul II was a better pope. Simple as that.

No, Smash said Benedict will never "replace" John Paul II which made no sense at all. I know what he went but I wanted to be a smart ass to someone who wanted to give Catholic leaders a hard time. No one was going to measure up to John Paul. No one. I just don't like how every time the current Pope opens his mouth means an opportunity for others to say, "Oh, he's no John Paul! The Church is finished!"

Yes and a big reason of that, has to do with what comes out his mouth.  I wasn't expecting him to measure up to Pope John Paul II by any stretch of the imagination.  However, I am very disappointed that he seems to be breaking apart what was accomplished by pope John Paul II, and he seems to want to take the church back into the days before Pope John Paul II.  Also Pope John Paul II had a way to bring people together, regardless of views, faith, etc.  Benedict  is the complete opposite and not only is he not working to being people together, but he seems to be working in ways to be divisive, both within the Church itself and the larger outside world. 
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2007, 01:18:07 AM »

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2007, 03:48:57 AM »

I don't believe this is Pope bashing Phil. You're being too sensitive about this. What the Pope said, I believe was damaging and was a reversal of the process of reconciliation under Pope John Paul II.

Personally I would feel embarrased, but like most Catholics I really don't give much consideration to what the Pope says to anything.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies