SoEA Confirmation Hearing: True Democrat [Confirmed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:40:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SoEA Confirmation Hearing: True Democrat [Confirmed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SoEA Confirmation Hearing: True Democrat [Confirmed]  (Read 2407 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:49:07 PM »
« edited: July 16, 2007, 01:00:55 PM by Sam Spade »

The President having nominated True Democrat to serve as Secretary of External Affairs, this Senate hearing is hereby convened such that it may consider the nomination.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:50:28 PM »

I'll ask the first question:  How do you intend on making this department actually accomplish something worthwhile instead of being a title for politicians who wish to do little else?

In other words, what are your plans?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:59:26 PM »

I'll ask the first question:  How do you intend on making this department actually accomplish something worthwhile instead of being a title for politicians who wish to do little else?

In other words, what are your plans?

Senator, sorry it took so long to answer your question, but here you go:

As of late, the Department of External Affairs has been basically nonexistent in Atlasian politics.  The last secretary, Preston, did nothing to change this.

However, I plan to turn this around, using a similar model as when I was Secretary of State.

First of all, the Secretary of External Affairs must make public appearances in order to help exert Atlasia's foreign policy.

If confirmed, I plan to travel the globe on behalf of Atlasia to numerous countries and conferences.  For Atlasia to have any actual influence in the world, the Department must be active.

In addition to traveling abroad, certain actions must take place here in Nyman.  First and foremost, databases must be updated, including what countries/organizations receive our foreign aid and the list of countries Atlasia currently holds sanctions against (the list started by Siege40).

Those are my general plans to make the Department more active, now I will explain my specific plans:

Since the escalation of the War in Iraq, world opinion of Atlasia has gone down.  What we must do as a nation is reclaim the moral high ground.  I plan on doing this with a number of initiatives.

The most important issue facing the world today is by far the genocide in Darfur.  If confirmed, I will seek to build a multilateral peacekeeping force to go into Sudan, not to depose the government, but instead only to stop the merciless killings of innocent civilians.  Before this force would go in, the Sudanese government and President Al Bashir would be given one last chance to comply with international demands that the genocide be stopped.  In addition to using force to stop genocide, Atlasia must engage in other actions such as keeping up the fight for sanctions in the United Nations and passing a law creating a national divestment from Sudan (I authored a similar law for the Northeast region, which passed).

Another area that I am very passionate about is fighting diseases in Africa and around the world, particularly AIDS, TB, malaria, and polio.  Since I have already outlined the details of my view on this issue, I will simply post a link to a speech during my senate campaign.

The final area I plan to heavily concentrate on is the situation in the Middle East, specifically in Israel.  With the recent takeover of the Gaza Strip by Hamas, Atlasia must stand firm against terrorism and with the Palestinian Authority.  I plan on meeting with Prime Minister Olmert and President Abbas to discuss further ways to unite the Palestinian people and still have the eventual creation of a Palestinian state.

With these three policy initiatives and the general plan for increasing the activity and visibility for the Department, I hope to be confirmed.

However, there is one last thing I should mention.

All of these plans completely depend on whether there is the recognition of the United States as a separate nation.  I urge the Senate to pass a bill for a public referendum on this matter.  My own proposal includes to a two part referendum, which I will now outline:

First, a referendum will be held with two options:
1. It is assumed that Atlasia has taken the place of the United States (or the status quo)
2. A commission should be formed to investigate the possible recognition of the United States as a separate nation.

If option one passes, then we can all go on our merry way.  However, if option two passes, then the commission would have to be formed.  This commission could study the issue over a couple of weeks and create three or four options for the Atlasian people in the second referendum.  These options would deal with different ways of having Atlasia as a separate nation.  Then, the second referendum would include these options, plus the option to assume that Atlasia has replaced the United States.  The results of the second referendum (with possible preferential voting) would then be binding.

However, this is just one idea for our relationship with the United States, and I would encourage more debate on this topic.

I hope I adequately answered your question Senator.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »

So when's the vote on this thing?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 07:22:11 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2007, 07:25:12 PM by Jas »

Either 72 hours from the opening of the thread or after a period of 24 hours where no debate/ discussion on the nomination occurs, whichever occurs sooner.

It now being more than 24 hours since your response to Sam's question, I shall open the voting.

The question is on the Senate's confirmation of True Democrat to be Secretary of External Affairs.
Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain on the matter.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 07:26:29 PM »

I was about to ask a question Sad

Can I ask it anyway?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »

I was about to ask a question Sad

Can I ask it anyway?

Absolutely, you're free to do so.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »

Thank you, Mr Vice President.

Mr True Democrat, before I go any further, I should state that, based on your answers to the Senator for the Southeast, I currently intend to vote to confirm you. However, I feel that you opinion on certain, largely unaddressed, issues is needed.

1. I understand that the inactivity of some of some previous SoEA's has led many of our allies to be concerned that Atlasia is heading into another period of isolationism. Predictably, this has further damaged our image overseas. Do you intend to do much about this?

2. What is your opinion on the situation in Zimbabwe and, in particular, the attitudes of other African leaders to Robert Mugabe's fascist regime?

3. As a last question, if you become SoEA will you take the side of the People of Turkey over the Turkish Military should the political situation there become more serious?

Thank you for your time.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »

1. I understand that the inactivity of some of some previous SoEA's has led many of our allies to be concerned that Atlasia is heading into another period of isolationism. Predictably, this has further damaged our image overseas. Do you intend to do much about this?

Let me first tell you that I am completely opposed to isolationism.  As an internationalist, I find isolationism to be a policy that can only damage our relationships and abroad and in turn our country here at home.  We didn't become the most powerful nation in the world through a policy of isolationism (assuming at this time that we replaced the United States).

In order to combat the growing threat of isolationism and repair our international relationships, I plan to be more visible, as I mentioned in my last answer.  Letting the world know that Atlasia is there is vital to our international partnerships.

However, I plan on taking this a step further.  I fear that our use of hard power has hurt our relationships the most.  Although I am not opposed to hard power entirely (actually I believe that it can be a source of good in extreme circumstances like Sudan), it has diminished our standing in the world.  What Atlasia must do is look towards soft power as a way to show the rest of the world that we actually care about humanitarian issues.

I recently read an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about how Atlasian soldiers (well actually United States, but it doesn't make a difference) stationed in Djibouti were helping the local villagers to build wells for drinking water and irrigation.  Although I realize this is a bit of an anecdotal example, these types of small acts are what Atlasia must uphold as the ultimate type of international policy.

Yes, we must continue to fight terrorism, specifically in Afghanistan, but it seems that we have forgotten the causes of terrorism.  We can attempt to stop terrorists from committing violent acts all we want, but terrorism will not go away unless we truly address what I believe to be the biggest cause of terrorism: the hatred of the United States.

This hatred stems from our isolationist and somewhat arrogant image as a nation that wishes only to advance its own interests.

Let me tell you that as Secretary of External Affairs, there will be no interest more vital to Atlasian foreign policy than that ensuring humanity itself and the natural rights that every human is endowed with.

Stopping genocide in Darfur, fighting diseases in Africa, helping Afghanis to rebuild their lives and communities, building strong local markets in Latin America, and ensuring the right to political freedoms in Myanmar are not just in the interests are those directly affected; these actions are in the interest of Atlasia.

Senator, I realize I may have strayed from your question a bit, but I hope I answered it.  My main goal to fight isolationism is to introduce a foreign policy that sees the rest of the world not as statistics, but instead as human beings who should receive the opportunity to have freedom and liberty.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

On this issue, I would like to say that the recent actions of both Mugabe and the other African leaders was utterly despicable.  To let off a man who completely devastated a nation is an action that will not sit well with Atlasia if I become Secretary of External Affairs.

I understand the philosophy of a carrot and stick approach when dealing with Mugabe, but it seems as though the other leaders of Southern Africa forgot to bring the stick.

If confirmed, I will use Atlasian influence to not only pressure other African leaders, but also the government of Zimbabwe itself.  Atlasia should not stand for the actions of Mugabe as his people suffer.  International pressure is needed and quickly.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Before I begin directly answering your question, let me just give my view on Turkey as a whole.  I believe Turkey could become the beacon of hope for the Muslim world.  Of course the nation has its fair share of issues to resolve, but Turkey has shown they are committed to tackling those issues (although movement on Armenian genocide and Cyprus has been a little slow for my liking).  Through its accession talks with the European Union, Turkey has already shown that they are willing to take on reforms, such as abolishing the death penalty.  I am very much in favor of Turkey joining the EU, as I believe it will only strengthen the relationship between the West and the Muslim world.  Of course, joining the EU tomorrow would be ridiculous as Turkey still has many issues to address, but in the end, I believe Turkey should join the European Union.

Now, to answer your question.

I don't believe that Atlasia should necessarily be taking sides in an internal dispute as the one that is taking place in Turkey.  I understand that the Turkish military considers itself to be the upholder of the principles of Ataturk and many times intervened in politics.  This is an action I disapprove of.  I believe that the military should be separated from the civilian state.

With regard to the people, I assume you are referring to those who wanted Abdullah Gul for President (please correct me if I am wrong).  With this issue, I believe that it should be up for the people to decide whether Gul should become President or not.  The political institutions of Turkey should work independently of the government, and in this instance, I believe that they did.

The parliament blocked Gul's candidacy through a completely constitutional means (I'm not scholar of Turkish law, but I believe it was lawful).  This blocking of his candidacy was done in part because of the pressure from the military, but there was also great pressure from the people, particularly the secularists.

Atlasia's policy towards this conflict should be one of encouraging reconciliation and moderation.  I personally believe that the secularist policies that have been enshrined in Turkey's political system should be upheld.  However, if the people vote for a change, then so be it.  They should have that right to change direction.

I hope I have answered your questions adequately Senator.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 03:06:37 AM »

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 09:37:39 AM »

Aye
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 12:26:52 PM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 02:53:09 PM »

Current Tally on Conformation
Aye: 3 (Ebowed; Brandon; PBrunsel)
Nay: 0
Abstain: 0
Absent: 1 (DWTL)
Yet to Vote: 5 (Al; Lewis; Phil; Rob; Sam)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 08:54:36 PM »

Aye.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 05:46:15 AM »

Aye
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 01:00:10 PM »

With 5 votes in favor of the nominee, 3 not voting, 1 member absent and 1 seat vacant, True Democrat is hereby confirmed for the position of Secretary of External Affairs.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 04:24:04 PM »

Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: